It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

over 4,500 simultaneous attacks - Is there a massive cyber-offensive against the US at 1220 today?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Norse - IPViking Live

EDIT: Realized that these numbers are not simultaneous, but cumulative. At any rate, there were over 16,000 attacks agains US based services between 1215 and 1300. Still wondering how "normal" that is.

I have been watching this real-time graphic of cyber attacks world-wide for the last fifteen minutes or so as of 1225 on December 16.

When I started, there were less than 1,000 attacks against systems in the US. At about 1215, there was a sudden blow-up and the total number of attacks against the US has been steadily increasing. Now at 12:25, there are over 4,500 occurring simultaneously, and the number keeps climbing.

Anybody know how out-of-the-ordinary this is?
edit on 2014 12 by incoserv because: needed clarification

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Total was above 7,000 by 1230, now over 8,000 by 1237..
edit on 2014 12 by incoserv because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I've looked at this site you've linked last night and this morning. Why is the attack target, for the most part, always the United States? It's almost like we are attacking ourselves while China attacks us at the same time.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Maybe everyone was eating lunch? Will follow this thread to see if this is something or just an average day in the coal mine.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

You tell us.

Have you watched this site in the past? If so is this unusual? If not what caused you to view the site today?

Just asking obvious questions.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: fieldyznutz
I've looked at this site you've linked last night and this morning. Why is the attack target, for the most part, always the United States? It's almost like we are attacking ourselves while China attacks us at the same time.

I'd suggest one of two possibilities:

1. Single source of attack from overseas are targeting multiple services in the US.

2. US located computers have been hijacked and are being used to initiate attacks from within the country.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Just clicked on it, there seems to be enormous bursts coming from china, haha. its actually lagging my browser a bit. massive onslaught at the moment

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
As of 1242, there are over 10,000 attacks in progress.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Every time I go to that site my firefox freezes on me forcing a restart of forefox.

link   
ipviking shows only honeypots that are being attacked. a honeypot is a fake server, meant to protect the actual servers from attacks. that means that the actual amount of attacks is probably higher, as not every hacker is attacking a honeypot server.

link   

If this website is reliable and accurate, then it makes me mad that it looks like the U.S. is just sitting and taking a pounding. Fight back! Come on!

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Looks like china has quite the zombie darknet happening

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: whatisurproblem

You tell us.

Have you watched this site in the past? If so is this unusual? If not what caused you to view the site today?

Just asking obvious questions.

I've looked at it a few times. Been interested lately. There was a spate of attacks a few days ago (remember ATS was really slow for a few hours).

Then, the incident in D.C. yesterday where several gov't buildings lost power at more-or-less the same time, and every power loss had a different official explanation. I - as did many others - felt sure that had to be something more than a bunch of random, coincidental accidents.

So, I took a look just after noon, left it open. When I went back to close the page, there had been a massive up-tick, so I kept watching.

Not enough history with this site to know for sure, but just crossed the 12,000 threshold at 12:46. Up from less than 1,000 thirty minutes ago to over 12,000 at the moment? Doesn't seem right or normal.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I was thinking the same thing although I am not american, It reminds me of when homer became a boxer in the simpsons.

You would think that they would just attack them back but maybe thats not possible.

I used to understand technology but I am clueless these days.

a reply to: fieldyznutz

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Topped 14,000 at 1250.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
p.s. china has alot of proxy servers because their gov doesn't allow them to do things like go to youtube, discussion forums and other places on the net the gov doesn't approve of. a proxy server provides cover for not only innocent chinese citizens who just want freedom to access the web's content without their gov babysitting them, but also subversive elements from all over the world. even the fact the attack seems to be coming from china may be a misnomer, as the north korean gov is fond of wreaking havoc on capitalist websites

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Over 16,000 by 1253.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I've often wondered of late if these attacks are games that states play with each other. Are they trying to develop technology to bring down a potential enemy's internet? Or are these games part of clandestine power games going on behind the scenes?

Perhaps the U.S do this to China and Russia. Likewise, China and Russia do the same.

These attacks are mighty powerful and I do not think individuals have the clout to deal attacks on this scale.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Are you sure this isn't cumulative, as opposed to instant stats?

yep it's cumulative from when you start viewing, I just looked at the site myself.
edit on 12 by AreUKiddingMe because: clarification

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

You'd be surprised.

The STORM Botnet

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join