It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cold war officially restarted in congress. In one second, with no debate.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

You do realize Latvia has bought weapons from the US don't you but take a closer look at the tanker trucks. This is a support battalion and there not US manufacture. Those tanker trucks were manufactur ed by the soviets and later Russia Ukraine and Poland. And that is not a main battle tank. Did you know Abrams are two wide to fit on standard rail cars like the one in the video.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: buni11687
Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but the Ruble fell to a historic low earlier today.

finance.yahoo.com...

MOSCOW (AP) -- The Russian ruble came under intense selling pressure Tuesday, falling at one point by a catastrophic 20 percent to a new historic low despite a massive pre-dawn interest rate hike from Russia's Central Bank. Russian officials were clearly rattled even though state television urged citizens not to panic.

"The situation is critical," Deputy Central Bank chairman Sergei Shvetsov was quoted by Russian news agencies as saying. "We could not have imagined what is happening in our worst dreams."

Its going to be worse the Russian central bank doesn't have the money to stop the devaluation of the Ruble. By this time next year may take thousands of rubles to buy a loaf of bread. Putin is creating a huge problem for the RusSian people all the while hiding his money In foreign markets. He's Betting Eventually everyone will forget about Crimea and Ukraine lift the sanctions and he has a black sea port with mineral rights. Happened before when he invaded Georgia.

Problem is the Russian economy isn't strong enough to survive the sanctions. If he was smart he'd negotIate a truce he'd keep Crimea for now and sanctions would end. But that requires him to be c operative which doesn't play well at home. In order to maintain power and continue his leadership he needs to create fear in the Russian people.

If they didn't have a boogie man to fear they would notice he's taking over the government and controls every aspect of there lives including what news they get. Hitler would be envious on what Putin has accomplished.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
In reading the House Bill linked to in the OP, it annoys me to no end that the same people who wanted to crash the entire US economy rather than raise the debt ceiling have no problem passing this additional $450 million dollars of spending on the new "Cold War."

And the bill leaves open the prospect of even more funding once certain plans are presented to congress to address the goals of the legislation.

So, these moron support fiscal responsibility to the detriment of the US population until the Military-Industrial-Complex (MIC) tells them otherwise.

So, the US is going to:
1. Provide additional military equipment, advisors, and trainers to the Ukraine.
2. Create essentially a new "Voice of America" in the Russian language, to counter Russian Federation propaganda.
3. Encourage democratic reforms within the Russian Federation.
4. Possibly the US leaving the INF treaty because Russia is reportedly in violation of same.

Wow. That sounds a lot like the "Cold War" during which I grew up. Welcome back to the duck-and-cover drills of the 1960s and 1970s.

dex

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
From Dennis Kucinich....on common dreams....

Late Thursday night, the House of Representatives unanimously passed a far-reaching Russia sanctions bill, a hydra-headed incubator of poisonous conflict. The second provocative anti-Russian legislation in a week, it further polarizes our relations with Russia, helping to cement a Russia-China alliance against Western hegemony, and undermines long-term America’s financial and physical security by handing the national treasury over to war profiteers.

Here’s how the House’s touted “unanimity” was achieved: Under a parliamentary motion termed “unanimous consent,” legislative rules can be suspended and any bill can be called up. If any member of Congress objects, the motion is blocked and the bill dies.

Three Members of Congress Just Reignited the Cold War While No One Was Looking

Important news and important eduction on how 'the process' works.

The comments to Dennis Kucinich's article are excellent as well.

More from the article. And I do apolize for the lenth - very important details that no one is reporting:

The Russia Sanctions bill that passed “unanimously,” with no scheduled debate, at 10:23:55 p.m. on Dec. 11, 2014, includes:
1. Sanctions of Russia’s energy industry, including Rosoboronexport and Gazprom.

2. Sanctions of Russia’s defense industry, with respect to arms sales to Syria.

3. Broad sanctions on Russians’ banking and investments.

4. Provisions for privatization of Ukrainian infrastructure, electricity, oil, gas and renewables, with the help of the World Bank and USAID.

5. Fifty million dollars to assist in a corporate takeover of Ukraine’s oil and gas sectors.

6. Three hundred and fifty million dollars for military assistance to Ukraine, including anti-tank, anti-armor, optical, and guidance and control equipment, as well as drones.

7. [ color=yellow] Thirty million dollars for an intensive radio, television and Internet propaganda campaign throughout the countries of the former Soviet Union.

8. Twenty million dollars for “democratic organizing” in Ukraine.

9. Sixty million dollars, spent through groups like the National Endowment for Democracy, “to improve democratic governance, and transparency, accountability [and] rule of law” in Russia. What brilliant hyperbole to pass such a provision the same week the Senate’s CIA torture report was released.

10. An unverified declaration that Russia has violated the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty, is a nuclear “threat to the United States” and should be held “accountable.”

11. A path for the U.S. withdrawal from the INF Treaty, which went into force in 1988. The implications of this are immense. An entire series of arms agreements are at risk of unraveling. It may not be long before NATO pushes its newest client state, Ukraine, to abrogate the Non-Proliferation Treaty, which Ukraine signed when it gave up its nuclear weapons, and establish a renewed nuclear missile capability, 300 miles from Moscow.

12. A demand that Russia verifiably dismantle “any ground launched cruise missiles or ballistic missiles with a range of between 500 and 5,500 kilometers ...”—i.e., 300 and 3,300 mile

How can this not start a war?

Is this were you want your tax dollars going?

I'm outraged.
edit on 16-12-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

That is the view of the masses as they are only able to gauge what is happening by the msm. I have followed this obsessively since the MH17 was shot down/crashed. What struck me more than anything was how quickly the msm had putin on every frontpage and sensationalist figures about slaughtering children. This was a few hours after the event. We are how many months on from the event and we still dont know what really happened, so why did the media in large numbers act as judge and jury as to who did this with no evidence what so ever.

This kind of continued attack on the credibility of Russia and Putin points to a joint effort to portray Russia as the aggressor and the US with allies have no choice but to defend "democracy".
The whole situation stinks and the people who suffer in reality are the innocent civilians. Those in the places of power wont go hungry but the number of people who will die from starvation/cold/war etc will be staggering. People need to stand up and together regardless of borders and demand better for our world. Who are these people to order us into a bloody war based on lies?

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

It's the only way they know how to stimulate our economy,and kill off large amounts of people.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

And that is not a main battle tank. Did you know Abrams are two wide to fit on standard rail cars like the one in the video.

Thats not a "standard" flatbed. Look again. The only other thing that can be is a Hercules. The six track wheels instead of seven… the crane boom instead of barrel.

Some elements don't match up though.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
The way I feel, the US military has been involved with this from the beginning, in combat, on the ground, in a completely unofficial capacity (you know we have special forces and other assets near Syria, Iraq, Turkey so the manpower is relatively close at hand). They need to bring more manpower to bear than they could get away with while still keeping the rest of the country in the dark and these "sanctions" are really just pushing us closer and closer to war. It will be interesting to see how Obama handles this. Will the veto pen come out?

This may not be the "first step" to restarting the Cold War, as others have said this wouldn't have happened if Russia had stayed out, but this will most definitely be the ignition and accelerant. It makes me very angry at my government to hear that people in Scandinavia are paying the price right along with Russia, and I think this "total control" mentality that my country has had for a while needs to go.

I will say that I do not believe the electoral college will ever be dissolved, the powers that be would never allow it, campaign finance is one of the biggest plagues on our country today, but means a lot to some very very powerful people.

When it comes to the political parties, I think we're really just given the illusion of choice between either of them. At least we have that, if we dissolve them, what would our other options be?
edit on 12/16/2014 by Ensinger23 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/16/2014 by Ensinger23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Here's the really interesting part of Dennis Kucinich's article:

At 10:23:54 p.m. on Thursday, a member rose to ask “unanimous consent” for four committees to be relieved of a Russia sanctions bill. At this point the motion, and the legislation, could have been blocked by a single member who would say “I object.” No one objected, because no one was watching for last-minute bills to be slipped through.

Most of the House and the media had emptied out of the chambers after passage of the $1.1 trillion government spending package.

The Congressional Record will show only three of 425 members were present on the floor to consider the sanctions bill. Two of the three feigned objection, creating the legislative equivalent of a ‘time out.’ They entered a few words of support, withdrew their “objections” and the clock resumed.
According to the clerk’s records, once the bill was considered under unanimous consent, it was passed, at 10:23:55 p.m., without objection, in one recorded, time-stamped second, unanimously.

[emphasis mine.]

So this was slipped in at the last minute, literally while no one was looking. It wasn't even debated by the full house!

Doesn't the Senate have to pass the bill before it's sent to the President to sign into law? Maybe there's still the possibility that this won't make it into law.

dex

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Sorry, stuck on my phone right now so I can't trace the image you posted back to its source. So I'm wondering you know that picture is of a Latvian train let alone a train used exclusively in Latvia?

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Laugh all you want, it doesn`t make up for your lack of knowledge.

Meanwhile, Rothschild's links with Russia's Khodorkovsky, until recently head of the Yukos oil company, go back three to four years and stem from their shared love of the arts and philanthropy. Rothschild met Khodorkovsky through their patronage of the Hermitage Rooms at London's Somerset House but the two struck up friendship when the Russian businessman invited Rothschild to become a trustee of the Open Russia Foundation that he opened in London to promote educational and cultural ties between Russia and the West.

But the true extent of their relationship became muddied last week after reports that Khodorkovsky, who was jailed last week for fraud and tax evasion, had transferred his share stake in the event of arrest to Rothschild, who would act as a trustee. However, Menatap, the Gibraltar-based holding parent company of Yukos, has consistently denied that Rothschild had any rights or links to the shares or that he was a shareholder himself.

Source

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
The Cold War was restarted the moment Russian troops invaded Crimea.

Mmyeah.... and Saddam did have those WMDs, and Bin Laden was really shot in Pakistan by the Navy Seals and his corpse dropped in the ocean, and we've always been at war with Eastasia, and...

FAIL.

The FACT is that following the putsch of Feb. 22 in Kiev, Crimea has DECLARED ITS INDEPENDENCE. No matter what or how it was made to happen, it's NOWHERE an indication Russia did any move against NATO.

...for as you may know, Ukraine and Crimea were not NATO members.

Ha.

edit on 16/12/14 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

A Cold war is a whole lot less dangerous than the situation we are in right now

Seems you have gone off the deep end on this. The bill of sanctions is very reasonable for the way Russia has been acting. Invading and then Annexing Crimea, Building new nuclear missiles of every type and sending their army into East Ukraine to fight and train what little Russian supporting Ukrainians there are that want to fight over talking.

Regular Russian army officers were busted in police uniforms admitting who they were to the normal cops in east Ukraine, what they did not know is that they were being filmed by Vice news from behind some trees. This was a week into the fighting in East Ukraine that Russia was fabricating. Ukrainian government or any other troops were over 100 miles away, yet many false flag attack scenes were set up by the Russians as admitted by the locals. Its on the Vice news channel on YouTube if you care to see the TRUTH!

I would love to see the U.S. also reinstate the Strategic Air Command in response to Putin's stunts, that and make the MX missiles again with true road mobile launch platforms. Rebuild the Pershing missile system to station in Europe and Alaska. Then bring back the Stealth TLAM's to mount on the B-52s and fly our bombers to their old fail safe points periodically while rotating our Bombers to different bases so they can not be caught on the ground. During the same time we need to cover all of our nation in ABM systems, especially with coastal Navy SM-3 batteries to protect against Sub launched nukes and cruise missiles from Russian Bombers. A road mobile SM-3 system would be pure perfection. That way they can cruise up and down the Interstates rather than only have them in a based situation to be easily targeted, and not on expensive Destroyers and heavy Cruisers.

Putin would have no choice to come to the peace table or have Russia implode from within again. Russia was scared to death of these missile systems and that is why we had to give them up or they would not destroy theirs. I hope we never fall for their games again. They started building new nuclear weapons the year Putin got into power.

A Cold war is a whole lot less dangerous than the situation we are in right now. Russia could hit us with a first strike from their subs off our coast and effectively take out all our land based missiles and our bombers. Our subs would be the only force to survive and strike back with a devastating response. They are city and base killers, not accurate enough to take out hardened bunkers and missile silos.

No nation on earth would ever think about messing with us unlike today where they seriously think about it.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
It seems the neocons have gone all-in and it can easily backfire...

James Rickards explains :

Link

And here`s some more about it...

The Oil Coup

U.S. powerbrokers have put the country at risk of another financial crisis to intensify their economic war on Moscow and to move ahead with their plan to “pivot to Asia”.

Here’s what’s happening: Washington has persuaded the Saudis to flood the market with oil to push down prices, decimate Russia’s economy, and reduce Moscow’s resistance to further NATO encirclement and the spreading of US military bases across Central Asia. The US-Saudi scheme has slashed oil prices by nearly a half since they hit their peak in June. The sharp decline in prices has burst the bubble in high-yield debt which has increased the turbulence in the credit markets while pushing global equities into a tailspin. Even so, the roiled markets and spreading contagion have not deterred Washington from pursuing its reckless plan, a plan which uses Riyadh’s stooge-regime to prosecute Washington’s global resource war.

Source
edit on 16 12 2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Echtelion

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
The Cold War was restarted the moment Russian troops invaded Crimea.

Mmyeah.... and Saddam did have those WMDs, and Bin Laden was really shot in Pakistan by the Navy Seals and his corpse dropped in the ocean, and we've always been at war with Eastasia, and...

FAIL.

The FACT is that following the putsch of Feb. 22 in Kiev, Crimea has DECLARED ITS INDEPENDENCE. No matter what or how it was made to happen, it's NOWHERE an indication Russia did any move against NATO.

...for as you may know, Ukraine and Crimea were not NATO members.

Ha.

Just because the U.S. government does some shady crap, that does not mean everyone else is an angel. Russia is a whole lot worse than the U.S.

Crimea was ANNEXED!! It was not a fair vote when the people who did not want Russian troops there were beaten just for speaking out weeks before the fake vote. Everyone who went there was beat, reporters from anywhere but Russia, let alone people who went to try and bring food to the Ukrainian Naval sailors stuck in port or at the base. Guys beating on innocent women was flat disgusting. It was taken by force and your a fool for thinking it was anything different. Maybe you failed to see all the Vice news videos on YouTube.

Go live in Russia if you think Putin is honest and such a great guy lol. His own people have been beaten for speaking out against him since their kids who were forced to fight in Ukraine are now showing up dead.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Hot war is taking it's place.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

a reply to: FyreByrd

How can this not start a war?

Some people predict a limited nuclear weapons exchange next year.

Big Damage !!

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Patriotsrevenge

You`re complaining about beatings while Americans loves those kinds of things ?

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien
a reply to: Patriotsrevenge

You`re complaining about beatings while Americans loves those kinds of things ?

I'm to the point where I want to see the world burn before I die. My faith in humanity is at an all time low. Nothing I can do to change the narrative, so I'll watch as the world falls into chaos. I'll still open doors for little old ladies and save a person choking. Politics and religion can go away and I wouldn't bat an eye. I'd cheer and say humanity has won a fight they it should have won a long long time ago. I can still dream can't I?

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
It was Russia’s Central Bank Chair Elvira Nabiullina that recently boosted Russia's key interest rate by 6 points to 17 percent.

Nabiullina said that the Central Bank has special tools not to restrict development and growth within Russia, citing finance of investment projects, and small and medium-sized business and commodity exports as target industries.

Russia would have known the fall in oil prices was coming, there are Russian monitoring agencies that aren't complete idiots.

The national debt in the United states is about 90 times that of Russia so America *might* be like the big family with the maxed out credit that lives next door.

We probably have ATS members from Russia and they probably don't know any more about their governments future economic plans than the rest of us. Russia historically has had very tight lipped elitist guidance. Looks like a huge Austerity plan going into place in Russia for the rest of the world to see, why now?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join