It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2014 Lie of the Year: Exaggerations about Ebola

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
The Ebola hype in the media...and on here...were just that...hype.

If you read any of the ATS threads during the Ebola scare...you would have seen that people were predicting widespread Ebola cases in the United States....so where are they?

Once again, ATS members got it wrong...but why don't they own up to it instead of trying to suggest that it is just being covered up?

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

Gotcha.
and thanks. ....Still, no scientist predicted radical spread into Europe or North America - they all said sporadic imported cases would be contained.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: frugal
I am guessing this disease will spread for thirty or more years... no cure or vaccine available. Aids has been happening since the 1980s. Ebola is a fire burning through the people in the third world countries. ...

S&
....I agree - it's going endemic, like bird flu (in Asia) and malaria (in Africa).

edit on 16/12/14 by soficrow because: expl

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Hindsight is always 100% right. It all could have gone the other way to a global pandemic. There is no cure for this disease. I would rather err on the side of over hyper.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

The BS hype killed all possibility of stopping it where it started by shifting the focus, clouding the issue and obscuring the real health risks. Ebola is still a huge problem in West Africa and is now well on the way to becoming endemic.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Please explain this further to me. I am not a world traveler. If I live HERE and Ebola is not HERE, should I not be relieved?

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I thought the lie of year was the police going around shooting AA's for "no' reason.

Ebola works too.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

The ebola hype started to die down once the Obama administration created the ebola Czar to safeguard somehow the mid term elections, littler it did to keep the elections in the present ruling party hands mayority.

Ebola died in ATS for the same reason, it was used as a political tool in many other ways.

Ebola is not gone and is still in the US here and there, actually here in my neck of the woods we just got one person that was brought in from another area infected to be treated in our local hospital, that claims to be ready and fully equipped to treat ebola infections.

While the news was given in our local media outlets, no more information can be found on the person identity, or if the person was successfully treated cured and released.

Now when it comes to malaria, I remember one of my daughter's professor in college that spend her summers working on children infected with malaria virus. My daughter did a semester working with samples of the virus as UGA is one of the many universities that are working on some kind of permanent treatment and possible cure for Malaria, sadly the victims of Malaria are as usual the very young.

With all this say and done, I will have to use a reminder that ebola is not gone and probably will be with us for many years and many victims to come.

edit on 16-12-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Please explain this further to me. I am not a world traveler. If I live HERE and Ebola is not HERE, should I not be relieved?

I don't even know where to start. ...But Ebola is on planet Earth and unfortunately (or not), HERE is THERE in the global view.

Endless Ebola Epidemic? That's The 'Risk We Face Now,' CDC Says

…."That's exactly the risk we face now. That Ebola will simmer along, become endemic and be a problem for Africa and the world, for years to come," Frieden tells NPR. "That is what I fear most."

edit on 16/12/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

From the article: "But Frieden is still confident that the three countries can eventually reach zero new cases and end the epidemic.

Why?

Because the world has stopped every Ebola outbreak before, Frieden says. "Even in this epidemic, we are stopping individual outbreaks. The challenge is doing it at a scale and with a speed that we've never done before."

So what has that to do with me? I am sending tax money to help, but I am not going over there. It seems the professionals are doing as much as they can as fast as they can. Are the Africans?

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Does anybody think the recent massive outbreaks in Africa are due to a failed experimental cure/vaccine ?

Or, was there a "bio-weapons" test that went awry?

The whole thing is very suspicious.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

....It seems the professionals are doing as much as they can as fast as they can.

They're not - and that has been the problem from the get-go. Then everyone got side-tracked with false flags and red herrings. That took a lot of time, money and resources.

....Yes, the world has stopped every outbreak before - but this one is different. True, there is hope. But it's way far from over.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Does anybody think the recent massive outbreaks in Africa are due to a failed experimental cure/vaccine ?

Or, was there a "bio-weapons" test that went awry?

The whole thing is very suspicious.

Oh yeah. But it's also true that our world has been contaminated and polluted beyond all ecological recognition - as a result, viruses' and microbes' adaptation and evolution has accelerated dramatically. At this point, even natural isn't natural. Point being, none of this needs a bio-weapons lab to happen.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
I would like to add a different Lie of the year. Try this one. "If you like your Doctor, you can keep your Doctor"."The cost of your health care will be less expensive". I think these combined would make a better lie of the year. Since it is coming from someone that has direct impact on just about everyone in America.

That happened last year. How can a lie from 2013 be the lie of the year for 2014?

@OP: I knew this was a political stunt from the beginning. Everyone was running around screaming about Ebola and barely anyone was being rational about it. Just like always.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Please fill in the blanks. I don't understand your point. What else do we do? Is this a disease we will always have like malaria or rabies?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Please fill in the blanks. I don't understand your point. What else do we do? Is this a disease we will always have like malaria or rabies?

There is far too much information to share in just a few minutes, which is all I have. If you really want to learn about the issue, just click on the links, then click on the links within the links - and read, read, read. But long story short, yes, because the world did not jump in quick and stop it where it started, now H2H Ebola will probably always be around. And it won't be pretty. Mainly because unlike previous Ebola outbreaks, this one spread human-to-human, picking up lots and lots of mutations to better adapt to human hosts.

Another thing to think about:

H5N8 and H5N2 bird flu took 30 and 20 years respectively to spread around the world via migratory birds, international trade and global travel. As it happens, research shows that migratory bats carry Ebola and birds likely do too. The implications should not just give us pause, but also suggest we need to rethink our beliefs about what constitutes here and there, how we think about our planet's ecology - and how we think about disease.

Birds could spread Ebola virus, study suggests

The Ebola virus closely resembles several bird viruses, researchers have found. They say the findings suggest birds may be able to spread the deadly virus to humans.

…Researchers at Purdue University in Indiana have found the outer protein shell of Ebola has a biochemical structure similar to several viruses carried by birds.

"We knew these viruses were inwardly similar, and now we see their outer similarity as well," ….

….Our data support a common evolutionary origin for the GPs of Ebola virus and avian retroviruses and have implications for gene transfer mediated by Ebola virus GP-pseudotyped retroviruses.

Where Does Ebola Hide Between Epidemics?

….In December, a Purdue University science team presented new research that links Ebola with birds. ….

Sanders stresses that his discovery does not prove that birds are the natural reservoir for Ebola. But it makes them more plausible hosts. The prospect of migratory birds carrying Ebola has obvious health implications.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I knew this was a political stunt from the beginning.

I hope you're not saying the Ebola epidemic was a political stunt? ....The epidemic was and is real - the stunt was playing the issue to fear-monger and attack Obama instead of rallying to fight the epidemic and stop it where it started. Now, it may be too late. But there's always hope.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Hype or not, the discussions about it ended within 48 hours of the appointment of the "Ebola Czar". I assume to quell the arising panic, and all the other nasty things people do when they are in a state of FEAR.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Oh I know that Ebola is a real problem in Africa. I was talking about all the nonsense about it being poised to ravage the USA.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Ok. I will read the links and try to figure it out. But, I think I see what you are saying.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join