It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Brings Scientists & Theologians Together To Prepare World For Extraterrestrial Contact

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nochzwei

originally posted by: JadeStar

originally posted by: draknoir2

I believe NEC had some success in Gain-Assisted Superluminal Light Propagation some years back. As I recall they used a Bose-Einstein condensate as a medium.

That's different. If I recall correctly (and that's a big if) they did not exceed the speed of light. They exceeded the limit placed on light by the Bose-Einstein condensate. That's quite different than exceeding the speed of light. A lot of news outlets misreported it as exceeding the speed of light but nothing of the sort actually occurred.

Yes. The laws of physics are maintained because the medium was not a vacuum.

Meant more as an example of how scientists are not too closed-minded to work on the seemingly impossible... like this experiment in quantum entanglement.

Ok, that's good. Thanks. I'm glad you also do this because there is this idea that all scientists are close minded to new ideas when nothing could be further from the truth.
Lol. So that makes you a scientist. is it

The act of conducting science makes me or anyone else a scientist. The act of going to a university and majoring in a science, in my case astronomy and astrobiology specifically, doesn't hurt either.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

As opposed to the ET "community" which is completely free of such things?

Oh, keep all those UFO kooks out of the mix, too. When have they ever been right about anything? And I can just hear them gloating for all the wrong reasons!

"I told you so! I told you there were aliens!"
"Yeah, most people already kind of believed that was possible. Besides, you never said anything about these specific aliens, or offered any verifiable proof."
"Suck it, skeptibunker loser!"

Sadly, that's exactly how it would play out.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
The problem with NASA...is that they don't want to admit that ET alien races have already visited our planet in the recent past --- because if they did --- the scientific search for life in our solar system and beyond would become a moot point, and the billions of dollars that they spend on the search for life on other planets could be better spent on how we can defend our planet from otherworldly threats such as comet/asteroid impacts.
edit on 18-12-2014 by Erno86 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Erno86
[...] the scientific search for life in our solar system and beyond would become a moot point, and the billions of dollars that they spend on the search for life on other planets could be better spent on how we can defend our planet from otherworldly threats such as comet/asteroid impacts.

I suspect that the U.S. military is spending a few billion here and there to potentially gear up for that kind of thing, should the need arise.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
If Ets are higher evolved intelligences than us then human ego will take a pounding humanity will no longer be at the top of the food chain. I doubt even if its true any announcement will ever be made. Apathy would unfold as people realise they are no longer number 1.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
>>
He even said that he would be happy to baptize them, if it’s intelligent extraterrestrial life that’s discovered.
>>

The more interesting question here would be whether when we discover the planet Ubozuclko, we humans are also ready to receive "The Ritual Of Gukobungo"? I heard for the Ubozuclkocians it's very important that everyone receives "The Ritual of Gukobungo"...so I hope you're all prepared, the pope included of course!

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
a reply to: IWasHereEonsAgo
They may have their own form of religion, wouldn't it be interesting to see the rituals and motions they go through for their own religion?

You know that we here on our planet we have the habit to kill those who are from another culture, have a different religion or different colour of their skin. It's NOT that long ago Blacks were not even allowed in the same section riding a bus.

How many today are "interested" in the rituals and motions of, say, Islam, Shamanism, Hinduism?
The number of those who would shows a true, genuine "interest" is in the minority compared to those would demonize them.
Open your eyes. There are wars going on RIGHT NOW because of exactly this.

Believing that an encounter with another civilization, their culture, beliefs etc. would just lead to curiosity and friendly handshakes IMHO is a total naive illusion. Especially since such would threaten power-structures here on earth, political AND religious. A world like we have where we still smash heads in over "MY GOD IS THE RIGHT ONE" is far, far from ready to encounter extraterrestrials. Sorry.
edit on 12/18/2014 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
DON'T BELIEVE ANY HUMANS CLAIMING TO BE ALIENS!!!

Remember UK hacker, Gary Mckinnon, got into Pentagon and NASA archives and found they had a fleet of reverse-engineered spacecrafts - as early as 2001.

They (Uncle Sam) will come posing as aliens to "save the day" from the problems that THEY caused in order to start their NWO. Be wary of false prophets.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: IWasHereEonsAgo
From April 2013...

brotherguy.livejournal.com...

Pisses me off that baptise remark, although I don't know who to be pissed at: the media or the vatican guy.

Why do we insist on believing the medieval mindset that is judaism, Christianity and Catholicism??!!
Aliens wouldn't give a bloody damn about being baptised.

If there's a bigger picture here... don't let your obvious hated for religion get in the way of what's going on.
edit on 18-12-2014 by MrConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I believe NEC had some success in Gain-Assisted Superluminal Light Propagation some years back. As I recall they used a Bose-Einstein condensate as a medium.

That's different. If I recall correctly (and that's a big if) they did not exceed the speed of light. They exceeded the limit placed on light by the Bose-Einstein condensate. That's quite different than exceeding the speed of light. A lot of news outlets misreported it as exceeding the speed of light but nothing of the sort actually occurred.

Meant more as an example of how scientists are not too closed-minded to work on the seemingly impossible... like this experiment in quantum entanglement.

Ok, that's good. Thanks. I'm glad you also do this because there is this idea that all scientists are close minded to new ideas when nothing could be further from the truth.

The act of conducting science makes me or anyone else a scientist. The act of going to a university and majoring in a science, in my case astronomy and astrobiology specifically, doesn't hurt either.
Ah.. ok. Good point and good luk with all your endeavors

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
The statistics show that those who identify as religious are decreasing in numbers, and the number of those who believe aliens exist is going up. I have to wonder if the acceptance of aliens by religion isn't a way to revise religion to encompass another area of unproven speculation to gain credibility by association.

On another note, the article mentioned Seth Shostak. I once exchanged messages with Seth and asked him why he is so sure aliens haven't visited us. He is a stern believer in alien life, but not that it has visited this planet in any forms other than microbial. I argued a few angles, but he was fairly confident that had we been visited, there would be evidence that could not be kept secret. That was at least 15 years ago. I wonder if his beliefs have changed at all...

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: okachobi

The entire "Ancient Alien Theory" has become a religion all to itself. Its just not "practiced" inside of a Church or gathering....yet. I wonder how long before that actually happens though?

Perhaps people just don't know how to "practice" it yet? lol....and if there was a way, I am not sure how one would go about doing it anyway.

Ive asked a lot of random people (friends and strangers alike) if they believe in God. You'd be surprised at the number of them who say that God was an Alien and how they believe that Aliens influenced ancient man.

Can we blame that Ancient Aliens show on the History channel for this mindset? Or was this whole subject something that has been kind of picking up steam over the decades and the show pushed it over the edge and made it to where it was more "acceptable" to believe in such a theory?

Either way, its interesting how the UFO/ET/Ancient Alien subject isn't taboo anymore. Its slowly creeping into the mainstream. So knowing that, the old saying of "TPTB wont tell us the truth because it would cause mass panic" holds zero water now.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: SirKonstantin
Ha! Actually while I was being a bit sarcastic, it was not joking.

Well other then the whole pat on the back thing, for some reason humans are just build to pat themself on the back. I know I tried it, couldn't even reach by back, so I patted my shoulder. Its bizarre I know, its almost like we were designed so that if we ever needed a pat on the back somebody else would have to do it, its like some sort of group activity or something. Truly strange.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Honestly the involvement of the Vatican or any form of religion (aka collective human delusion) is not mankinds greatest embarrassment.
The first and major crime of humanity is the treatment of other (lesser evolved) species on this planet. We hunt, kill, experiment on and torture other life forms collectively, even just for fun, and get a free pass by law. Of course we also "eat" many of the other life forms for pure culinary pleasure - we even cook some of them alive.
Except for the eating part - we do most of the stuff mentioned above also to members of our own species. Well, hello that's us - the friendly humans from planet earth. Who would like to come for a visit?
To any advanced foreign civilisation we most likely look far worse than Nazi Germany observed by todays standards and I didn't even started talking about our disregard for environmental issues and the implied total disregard for future generations to come.
To sum it all up - if any alien civilisation would put their focus on our planet the only approbate term that comes to mind is outmost disgust.
But let's assume they don't judge us at all. Who would they speak to? We are not globally organised and have no single representative who speaks for all of us. All of the current world powers are corrupted and perverted - so any official contact initiated by a foreign civilisation is highly unlikely.

So what about aliens that may have visited our planet in the past or are currently here?
Today scientists agree that the vast amount of planets "out there" suggest we're not alone - or to be more realistic - we're probably one species among countless other alien civilisations. If this is correct then we have to assume that a fair percentage of our fellow beings have a good head start technology wise (maybe even by a couple million years). Does anyone here really believe that any civilisation that far advanced would need to show up in silver discs in the night sky? They would have "without a doubt" the ability to walk among us and study us without any chance for us to notice.

Therefor I believe that it will take another few generations before any first contact can be established. First and foremost we have to overcome our own humanity or at least that part that is biological driven. As long as the need for power and competition (which is also the main reason why humans watch any sport) is a vital part of our DNA we won't move forward. It will be a big step for future generations (or maybe not) to agree that we need to be genetically altered to be truly free. Although I personally believe that artificial intelligences of human origin will take care of that problem in the future - if necessary against our consent in our own interest. Once we're not driven by animal instincts anymore we can finally have an honest open discussion with our neighbors "out there".

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodydagger
a reply to: okachobi

The entire "Ancient Alien Theory" has become a religion all to itself.

(...)

Can we blame that Ancient Aliens show on the History channel for this mindset?

While some individual evidence of the AA may be debatable, the basic premise I do NOT think all-too-stupid.

The basic premise is that there MAY not be a difference at all in that "angels", "gods", "demons" etc. might actually be/have been extraterrestrials....and that many of our religions are actually borne from very early encounters of humankind with extraterrestrials.

THIS...is not a stupid idea at all. That this idea is controversial and may go against people's beliefs in angels, gods etc. doesn't make the theory stupid.

By the way, the "Ancient Alien Show" comes way, way after the AA was established back in the 1970s. The AA show is just a simple regurgitation of the AA theory for entertainment of the masses in easy digestible format on TV.

Stated differently:

If someone tells me they saw angels, or gods "coming down in a fiery wagon from the heavens", etc..etc.... it's very legit to speculate about the origin of such entities...even if it is "uncomfortable" because it would flip upside-down many people's beliefs...

edit on 12/19/2014 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I would welcome such an open contact platform from anyone that resides in our universe! It would be a nice change even if it meant our own undoing! And besides,it seems that alien cultures would still come to visit anyway! I have a website that I hope will help facilitate such a exciting invasion/revealing: ALIENHIDEAWAY.COM
It is a video forum for any and all UFO,ET,and Stellar info featuring videos from many authors and teachers on the subject that is kept up to date and UFO footage that has to be of most authentic! As well as related ebooks,T-Shirts,and technology!
Are there distant relives from other solar systems friendly or not? Only one way to find out! ;-)
edit on 19-12-2014 by Cherokee33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

I always wonder... if/when a massive ship shows up in Earth's atmosphere with humanoid type beings saying they are from a galaxy so far away that we have no way of verifying it... how many would just automatically believe them?

Occam's Razor would apply here. They most likely would be.. Although it is possibly true that they are demons (charading as aliens) or other dimensional beings coming through, it would be most likely simply that they are aliens from another galaxy.
edit on 19-12-2014 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-12-2014 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Do you actually conduct science? Because as a person trained in science, and who taught, I can say definitively that most people with high school or undergraduate level knowledge of science do NOT have real training in full research methodology, nor experience actually constructing, running, analyzing real research studies, whether that be in the social or physical sciences. It takes a lot of diversified training, from research methodology to heavy statistics often, to actually know how to assess and conduct various sciences.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
We are alone in the universe.

We are not alone in the universe.

These two prospects are equally terrifying.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: lonesomerimbaud

I'd like to play along with this thread, but I am 100% convinced that beings from other worlds will not be able to travel the great distance involved.

If the nearest civilization is even only say 10 light years away it would take 10 years to reach us at the speed of light. Travelling at the speed of light is not possible in the laws of physics. It is make believe because it does not correspond to the laws of matter. We could only achieve the speed of light if we were physically transformed into light. That is the only way we could match light for speed.

As for other dimensional beings, like a Creator and Angels, etc, well I think that is more likely.

The only thing I would think if I was presented news from the authorities that said aliens had come would be is this a rat I am smelling.

Any beings that had the tech to travel to earth might as well be Gods in our eyes, their form and abilities would be that far above our own.

There may or may not be sentient intelligent beings elsewhere, but travel methods and feasibility are impossible because of the distances involved.

Radio waves apparently travel at the speed of light in a vacuum. A transmission being picked up is a far more likely scenario. If we picked up a signal from a star 10 light years away the transmission would be 10 years old before it reached us. Conversation might be painfully slow;

"Hi"

(10 years later) "Hi, who are you?"

You are not taking into account quantum physics or wormhole concepts, that would allow movement faster through the universe?

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join