It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Brings Scientists & Theologians Together To Prepare World For Extraterrestrial Contact

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
They make first contact and see us as we truly are. Then get back on their ship and leave, never to return.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA
They make first contact and see us as we truly are. Then get back on their ship and leave, never to return.
LOL NICE ONE AND QUITE A LIKELY SCENARIO

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Erno86
"The entire U.S. Federal budget for asteroid detection is 1/20,000th of what we spend on homeland security."

I would accept that as accurate if we had any idea at all what all those many billions of dollars in the military's black budget actually financed. One thing the military wants to do is know what's happening pretty much everywhere on Earth. And these days, they also want to detect any potential threats from space, as well. They love information. So I suspect there are numerous classified programs that not only have eyes that look down at our enemies, but also out into space. They likely also have a variety of action plans for threats coming from space whether they originate from an Earthly enemy, evil aliens, or are a natural threat like a stray asteroid or comet.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I imagine First Contact would be like this:

Aliens come down, they go "Sup, we're not from Earth, and we think you humans are neat."

General shock and awe. "Omg we're not alone."

Religious backlash/existential crisis possible.

Fast forward 10 years:

"Next on ABC: Meet the Glorblecks!"

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA

Once again to the 9 millionth time somebody has played the "oh, humanity is so evil," tune... If the same natural forces that shaped us and gave us our intelligence and aggressive natures extend out into brutal space, then any aliens we're likely to encounter are likely going to more aggressive and intelligent than us by multiples. They're an atomic bomb; we're a baby throwing a rattle during a temper tantrum.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Or they got more discipline, or a slightly differnt hormonell balance, or...
I don't think there's one single person which would guess right about what they are.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: SirKonstantin

Everything is building up....Will the aliens help re-build out society like Puma Punku?Egypt?

Did they build the ancient Civilisations or teach them to build. My belief would be given what I've read that they assisted us with knowledge (it's not their fault we messed it all up by becoming greedy).

Also assistance of that nature can be dangerous. If you help a creature to hatch from an egg then you remove an important evolutionary struggle and risk weakening said creature.

Other civilisations are out there. Of course they are, in a cosmos this size it's nonsense to believe that nature created complicated intelligent life on one planet only. However until we can learn to unify as a single species and move forward together I don't believe they'll have any interest in getting involved with us.

My point being don't deify them. Yes they're technology will be spectacular and their intelligence mind boggling. But so would yours bee if you travelled back 200 years with a computer etc.

We should be focusing on making ourselves ready for when we achieve the technologies for ourselves and not spend time wishing that a higher power will intervene and remove all the corruption and (well you get the idea)

It's our job to do that.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Titor86

I feel that if i used your answer in an essay, I would win and be asked to recite it to the world!

S&F!!!

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Text "Conversations about religion with intelligent beings from an exoplanet might jolt humanity into realizing how parochial our beliefs are."
Quote: Geoffrey Marcy, an exoplanet explorer and holder of the Watson and Marilyn Alberts Chair in the search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence at the University of California, Berkely --- NYT's, Science Times, Tuesday, December 23, 2014 --- OUT THERE, Dennis Overbye --- "Gods and Truths for Other Inhabited Worlds"

"Contrary to popular perception, he said, religion, like science, is not a closed book. "Science" he said "is stuff we understand about truths we only partially grasp. Religion is trying to get closer to truths we don't understand."

The more you know, the more you don't understand, he said. "That's called progress."
Quote: Same article...Brother Consolmagno spent ten years working and teaching as a planetary scientist, specializing in meteorites, before joining the Jesuits. Last year, he was awarded the Carl Sagan Medal by the Division for Planetary Sciences of the American Astronomical Society, for communications in planetary science.

Dr. Marcy, with tongue fairly firmly in cheek, evoked what he called "the multi-god model of the universe. There might be room for the universe for more than one truth, he said, if every inhabited planet had its own gods. The inhabitants might be as certain of their beliefs as we humans are of ours. The deities have carved out their operating galactic territories, like so many cosmic Corleone families," Dr. Marcy said.

edit on 23-12-2014 by Erno86 because: added quoted text

edit on 23-12-2014 by Erno86 because: typo error

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
a reply to: SirKonstantin

from your link

He even said that he would be happy to baptize them

What can one say...Aliens surely need bapthism...nobody wants to go to hell...right ?

Plus, after their long trip, they could use a bath.

Harte

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join