It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazil Olympics: Super-bacteria found in Rio sea waters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Not unusual.. Acapulco Mexico used to dump raw sewage into the bay. When flying into or out of there you could see the long brown stain where the sewage was dumped.. This is both figuratively and actually enough to make one sick ...

(BBC) Researchers in Brazil have discovered a drug-resistant bacteria in the sea waters where sailing and windsurfing events will be held during the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

The "super-bacteria" is usually found in hospital waste and produces an enzyme, KPC, resistant to antibiotics.

Researchers found the bacteria in samples taken from Flamengo beach.

Nearly 70% of sewage in Rio - a city of some 10 million people - is spilled raw into the waters of Guanabara Bay.

The bacteria was found in samples taken from several locations along the Carioca river.

One of the them was at the point where the river flows into the bay on Flamengo beach.

Residents have been told to take extra care. Flamengo beach is frequently declared unfit for swimming, but many people disregard the official warnings.

www.bbc.com...
c.moreover.com...
c.moreover.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
screw the olympics

why is this an olympic issue ????????????????????

olympic atheletes compete by choice [ and if they fall ill will recieve 1st class medical treatment ]

what about the citizens of rio - who have to put up with this blight 24 / 7 ??????????????????????????????

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
screw the olympics

olympic atheletes compete by choice [ and if they fall ill will recieve 1st class medical treatment ]

what about the citizens of rio - who have to put up with this blight 24 / 7 ??????????????????????????????

Because the Olympics being at this location is bringing the problem to a wider audience.

Jeeez, sometimes I wonder how your trolling is allowed to continue on these forums.

I'd love to go for a drink with you... oh wait

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

screw the olympics

Because the Olympics being at this location is bringing the problem to a wider audience.

Jeeez, sometimes I wonder how your trolling is allowed to continue on these forums.

The Olympics aint gonna change crap about the disgusting conditions of the water. I dont understand why we even have Olympics. Its all evil crap designed to take the peoples mind off the things really matter.

The people off Rio are getting screwed once again all so the rich can have their "games"

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   

screw the olympics

Excuse me, but that is quite an out of order comment:

1. You are accusing this member of trolling.

2. You are using sarcasm as a means to attack this member and have yourself been the worst offender as far as current comments go of drifting away from the thread.

You have used what many describe as "the lowest form of wit" (sarcasm) to sabotage a valid point that the comment you are criticising is somehow beneath consideration as a valid criticism of the Olympic institution.

Sorry about having to drift away momentarily, but I must speak up when I see this happening in threads.

I agree with what Ignorant Ape member is saying. The Olympic institution is a lavish affair and an insult to the poverty of some of the host nations.

The Olympics have cost the Brazilians a fortune. Yes, it is coming out of the poor person's pocket, too, as it came out of the poor pocket when hosted in the UK; you and I have to pay for it.

I expect it would have cost a fraction of the Olympic budget to install proper treatment plants for sewage.

So we should learn to love the Olympic institution because everywhere it travels it solves problems by highlighting what is wrong with the host nation and magically makes it alright. I think not. One clever and committed journalist or human rights activist could do better.

Ok, you like the Olympics and what it stands for. Others don't see it quite the same way and see it as a financial burden and a lot of shallow hype. I see it as games for the rich people at the expense of the people. They want it, but they don't pay for it; we do.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud
Calm down.

Guys a troll, check his post history. If not a troll he's got anger issues.

I understand what tosh the olympics is... I just get tired of seeing his posts in the same system of address.

You're sticking up for the wrong people.

Plus the sarcasm is the lowest form of wit is probably the lowest form of criticism. Stick around you might learn something.

Getting back on topic... yeah it's bad news that we only get to hear about this state of living when it's in the MSM, I agree. But what can we do about it?

OPs got a fair point, people who have not been warned about it will be competing in it. The locals all know the state of the waters, hell, their streets are often just as polluted.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Flamengo beach is frequently declared unfit for swimming, but many people disregard the official warnings.

The locals must be quite hardy or just don't care. Shivers...

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Nothing a little doping wont fix..

Swim along nothing to sea

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   

screw the olympics

You may or may not get his point, but this issue transcends olympics. The olympics are secondary to the issue of dumping enough raw sewage to create resistant bacteria in the ocean deeming the area unsafe to swim... Thus affecting the olympic participants in the ocean. Sure the volunteer athletes will probably subject themselves to this to try and win some prize, but that's nothing compared to the millions affected by this every day.

It's not trolling, I don't know why you jump to that conclusion...

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

great that the Olympics is getting this issue out to more people ...

what gets me is how these things can get so bad before people wake up and take notice....we are polluting the oceans,the rivers,the land all for money....

it sickens me to the pit of my stomach knowing we do this......once the water on earth reaches the tipping point we will all suffer and the earth will quite rightly kick us of and regenerate

and yeah i agree with ignorant ape for once he is right on the money...screw the olympics,its a rich mans game and as we have seen they make the poor disappear during these times so the rich do not feel uncomfortable

top topics

join