It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Only CIA Agent to Go to Prison for Torture Never Tortured Anyone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
That's right. The only person to go to prison for torture is John Kiriakou and he refused to torture anyone. In fact, he's the whistleblower whose disclosures prompted last week's Senate Intelligence Committee's torture report.

Yet another mainstream media blindspot. The media continues to report about who the CIA tortured and what methods were used, but they will not remind you that John Kiriakou, the 15-year CIA veteran, blew the whistle on the whole thing.

Kiriakou disclosed classified information: that we tortured Al Qaeda detainee Abu Zubaydah by waterboarding him. This disclosure led to the Senate Intelligence Committee's year long investigation into the CIA's torture policies and resulted in the report that was released last week.

And what did Kiriakou get for alerting the American public? He was silenced. He was sent to federal prison because disclosing classified information is a crime. Those who tortured others? Oh, they're fine. They were just doing their job.

You can read more about John Kiriakou, an American hero who has yet to be recognized, in his interview with The Washingtonian.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Makes sense to those in power. The little guys take the fall so the big guys continue to enjoy freedom.

If he refused to torture anybody I think he's a very admirable person.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: JesseVentura

the old "going through proper channels" bit...don't you just love irony.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I love it when people say that Snowden should have gone through the channels, report the matter to his superiors. Raise concerns they say.

What a joke...

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: JesseVentura
That's right. The only person to go to prison for torture is John Kiriakou and he refused to torture anyone. In fact, he's the whistleblower whose disclosures prompted last week's Senate Intelligence Committee's torture report.

Yet another mainstream media blindspot. The media continues to report about who the CIA tortured and what methods were used, but they will not remind you that John Kiriakou, the 15-year CIA veteran, blew the whistle on the whole thing.

Kiriakou disclosed classified information: that we tortured Al Qaeda detainee Abu Zubaydah by waterboarding him. This disclosure led to the Senate Intelligence Committee's year long investigation into the CIA's torture policies and resulted in the report that was released last week.

And what did Kiriakou get for alerting the American public? He was silenced. He was sent to federal prison because disclosing classified information is a crime. Those who tortured others? Oh, they're fine. They were just doing their job.

You can read more about John Kiriakou, an American hero who has yet to be recognized, in his interview with The Washingtonian.

Actually he went to prison, after pleading guilty, for disclosing classified material (specifically, naming names and roles of CIA officers to journalists), not torture as you say in your first paragraph. And then later give the actual reason for why he went to prison, oddly enough. But the first paragraph really grabs one's attention, doesn't it?

He could very easily have dumped info on the torture without giving away names, and letting journalists dig the names up for themselves. I have no problem with his data dump on torture itself, but I don't think he needed to throw people's names out there when journalists would likely have figured it out on their own anyway.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Let me know when we are breaking him out....I'll be there

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Have to wonder why this guy, with all his CIA experience, didn't use 3rd party leak techniques.

And he should have known how to dodge authorities with false i.d. and all that jazz.

Something else is hidden deeper here I think.

What am I missing?

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Is anyone actually surprised...?

Do something against those in power, you get punished.

Record a cop executing a civilian? You go to jail, cop walks.

Expose government breaking the law, YOU go to jail, government is above the law....

top topics

join