It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Gary Webb, Journalist Linking CIA & Drugs, Found Dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Pulitzer Prize winning journalist Gary Webb, age 49, was found dead of a gunshot wound in his California home on Friday. Mr. Webb worked for the San Jose Mercury News and ran a high-profile series on an apparent connection between the CIA and the well-known Contras. He claimed that, because of the CIA's involvement or ignorance, coc aine use exploded in Los Angeles and California as a result. In the backlash of his series, he was subsequently demoted and transferred to a suburban bureau. He is suspected of having committed suicide. Police were contacted when a moving company found a note on Mr. Webb's front door reading "Please do not enter. Call 911 and ask for an ambulance."

www.latimes.com
Gary Webb, an investigative reporter who wrote a widely criticized series linking the CIA to the explosion of crack coc aine in Los Angeles, was found dead in his Sacramento-area home Friday. He apparently killed himself, authorities said.

Webb had suffered a gunshot wound to the head, according to the Sacramento County coroner's office. He was 49.

His 1996 San Jose Mercury News series contended that Nicaraguan drug traffickers had sold tons of crack coc aine from Colombian cartels in Los Angeles' black neighborhoods and then funneled millions in profits back to the CIA-supported Nicaraguan Contras.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Sound familiar? There are some who say that those who openly oppose the government and parts of the government are eliminated, usually by making it look like they killed themselves. This is not to say that Gary Webb is a case, but he is said to be a searcher for truth and justice, a model for us all.

[edit on 13-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Just a little too coincidental don't you think? I am betting that if you delved into his personal life, that there would have been little to no reason for him to commit suicide...

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Side-effects/Reprocussion of "loose lips sink ships"?
In a strange twist here Thorfinn, I almost agree.
With the abundance of recent CIA 'leaks' by CIA and ex-CIA members, I'm almost wondering if the CIA isn't behind this. It almost seems as if they are "cleaning house" and perhaps sending a signal to others to keep their lips shut, as they are oathed to do (CIA, that is).

seekerof

[edit on 12-12-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Holy crap, me an Seekerof agree on something...that's some amazing stuff...

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
More coincidence?

Bush biographer, Hatfield, kills self (USA)
Hicks gained national notoriety when he published Jim Hatfield�s controversial Dubya biography, �Fortunate Son.� The scathing, well-documented expose of the Bush dynasty resulted in near financial ruin for Soft Skull, a brilliant film documentary (www.hornsandhalos.com...), and Hatfield�s tragic suicide.

Weapons expert about to 'out' Tony Blair (U.K.) "I have always said that had it been a member of my family, I wouldn't have accepted what they came out with," one of the paramedics, Dave Bartlett, told the paper.

At the time of his death, Kelly was at the centre of a storm over whether Blair and his government deliberately exaggerated the case for going to war with Iraq.

Shortly beforehand, Kelly had been publicly identified as the source of a hugely controversial BBC radio broadcast claiming Blair's government had, as the reporter put it, "sexed up" the threat posed by Iraq.

Also- ATS thread

Father of investigative reporter (USA) CHADDS FORD, Pa. They still come in the mail, the geography books that prominent attorney Miles Warner ordered before his violent death eight weeks ago. The volumes are nice enough, but what his son, Bob Warner, really craves are answers. And those are in short supply.

The Net is full of suicides and sudden 'natural deaths,' there are more that are reporters than can be imagined.

I have always wondered how someone suddenly dies from such things as cancer when a few weeks before they didn't have any signs of the disease. My favorite is Jack Ruby, Lee Harvey Oswald's killer.

After Ruby's 1964 conviction for "murder with malice," in an appeal to the Texas Supreme Court, Ruby's lawyers argued that he could not have received a fair trial in the city of Dallas due to the excessive publicity surrounding the case. The appellate court agreed and ruled that his motion for a change of venue before the original trial court should have been granted, and so Ruby's conviction and death sentence was overturned. While awaiting a new trial, Ruby died of a pulmonary embolism in Parkland Hospital on January 3, 1967. Ruby died, legally, an innocent man while he was awaiting the new trial.

Gotta love these 'coincidences.'

*edit- add ATS thread

[edit on 12-12-2004 by JoeDoaks]

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
People commit suicide all the time. People who expose government malfeasance may very well have a higher rate of suicide than the population as a whole as a consequence of the emotional difficulties in their lives. Suicide notes are found in about 1/4 of cases, so the lack of a note is hardly cause to suspect a suicide was actually a murder.

Worldwide, a suicide occurs about every 45 seconds. It is a very common way for people to die.

Meanwhile, if a shadowy secret agency decides you need to die, the method of choice is to make it look like a suicide. There are people who actually specialize in this sort of thing, and are talented enough to "suicide" a victim such that even an exceptionally thorough murder investigation would conclude it was suicide -- though in truth it was a murder.

That's what makes evaluating a case like this so difficult.

I'm suspicious of this case and others like it. However, at the same time I know that as suspicious as it may seem, this really may have been a suicide.

Thus I doubt any of us will ever really know one way or another -- unless a murder investigation were to be launched and find something. We'll see, I suppose.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 01:54 AM
link   
It is an intersting twist of sorts, and people are natuarlly drawn to conspiracy esp when the figure had noteriety. If this was a CIA op, or at the very least a rouge groupe with the CIA why right now? He had already spilled the beans. Why not wait a bit longer? It seems the interest will have wained the longer you wait no?

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Unless he knew more than he let on, FredT...

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Unless he was working on something new and revealing I would think the theory he was offed is a bit of a stretch. 8 years after writing a series is a bit late to "shut some one up" isn't it?

Seriously.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Unless he was working on something new and revealing I would think the theory he was offed is a bit of a stretch. 8 years after writing a series is a bit late to "shut some one up" isn't it?

Seriously.

This may not be enough to justify the assassination , however, according to prison planet:

Gary also told Ricky that he had been receiving death threats and was being regularly followed. It was also mentioned that Gary was working on a new story concerning the CIA and drug trafficking.

www.prisonplanet.com...

Also, according to this article, it seems that he was a bit skitzophrenic (such as thinking people were scaling down the pipes), and recently got divorced, and got his motorcycle stole.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Just thought I'd post this, I found it a pretty interesting read.

R.I.P Gary Web

www.fromthewilderness.com...

top topics

join