It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metaphysical question for the thinkers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
In the general scheme of many philosophies there is the combination of the 4 directions and the 5 elements that creates sort of a grid like this:

5 elements Wood and metal
Fire and water
And the 5th is earth

4 directions equal east/west /north/south

Does anyone notice the falsity of this scheme or its incompleteness?

It’s very clear to me

What do the thinkers here think?

I will give the answer if no one gets in a timely manner.

A point here: The Chinese have the earth in the middle of the elemental scheme but most philosophies don’t do it that way

The Chinese method to me is correct because through that method will we perfect this grid system. It will fall in place like a snugly fitting puzzle piece.

In other words both the elements and the 4 directions are incomplete the addition of one element will perfect both parts

I yield to the thinkers of ATS
edit on 15-12-2014 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Is it spirit or some other such thing? Just a guess on my part but that's the only thing I can think of that might work.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Space is element no.6

Idk Im just putting it out there.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Love is the fifth element.

Its on TV.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Also, why are earth and metal separate? Shouldn't they be one and the saga and since metals come from the earth itself?
edit on 15-12-2014 by KingKelson because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-12-2014 by KingKelson because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Very good it shows the ATS crowd is bright

It is Spirit

First of all There are 6 directions not 4
And 6 elements not 5

One has to put Spirit as the polarity to Earth by drawing a vertical line through the earth pole and illustrate the 5th and 6th direction as UP and Down

Then the grid shows not only the 6 directions but also the 6th element which is SPIRIT as a polarity to earth

6 primal elements and 6 primal directions balanced perfectly

Very good King

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

It's not that the Chinese system is incomplete, it's that it is presumed that spirit moves in a certain way and 5 element and yin yang theory are meant to augur which way that is, at any given time.

I would be interested to know where the image came from before I really comment on it.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Does anyone notice the falisy of this scheme or its incompleteness?

Yes.

I think a very large portion of the world has found the falisy [sic] of this way of thinking a long time ago and has moved on to much more relevant ways of processing information and sense making.
edit on 15-12-2014 by AgentShillington because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

Thanks Shill My spelling sucks

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

It comes from a Qigong book

Im not really criticizing this scheme, I respect Chinese wisdom particular DAO; i'm just showing that we should think for ourselves at times then we can enhance knowledge.

I recall years ago when I found out from my own deductions that their aren’t four directions but obviously six.

That taught me to never rely necessarily on traditional formats that exists out there from any system

Think for yourself but maintain respect for traditional knowledge.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Space is also a good possibility for the six element as funkadeliaaaa wrote.

Since spirit resides in space

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

I recall years ago when I found out from my own deductions that their aren’t four directions but obviously six.

Well, the Chinese have up and down covered, they call them "Heaven" and "Earth", right? And there aren't just 4 directions, there are 8, like in the "Bagua" symbol, remember?

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

Looks like an alien ship
pauladaunt.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: KingKelson
Also, why are earth and metal separate? Shouldn't they be one and the saga and since metals come from the earth itself?

The difference between metal and Earth is more symbolic. Earth = Life (Spirit)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Of course it's Spirit. Also called consciousness. Spirit Science centers around this idea. It's pretty trippy if you read up on it.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
This scheme is largely incomplete,
as far as i know there are 114 elements, not counting the ones which are not yet confirmed.

Don't take this the wrong way though, I'm all up for metaphysics.
But i do think that using some kind of "element/substance", which is supposed to be an all-explaining foundation of the world is largely outdated especially when you use only 4 or 5. It belongs in the world of spiritualism, useful and insightful to some extend, beautiful even, but not really of metaphysical value.
Leibniz was one of the last thinkers to propose such an idea and it's highly problematic;

en.wikipedia.org...

I'd propose a metaphysical foundation of the world which is explained more in terms of A.N. Whitehead's process philosophy, which he sets out in his book "Process and reality". Wiki-link for the basic concept but i'd say read the book

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 16-12-2014 by ArieBombarie because: typo

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

1 would encircle those elements within a triangle of Ethereal/Astral elements as well...
NAMASTE*******

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

the elements and directions are basic human concepts that helped our ancestors develop greater and far more wide reaching ideas that became science and other institutions

top topics

join