It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio teen refuses to do homework until school brings back Ten Commandments plaque

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
S&F for being open minded.

I have the ten commandments hanging in my front office of my shop and would be pissed if told to take it down.

This kid, while I applaud his actions, he is on the losing side of this fight and is not going about this right.

Fighting for everyones religious views is what he should be for. Not just ours.

uhmm why ?...you would only obey 2 to 3 of them anyway

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I went to a magnet public school that demanded results.

So you're a conformist.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Huh? What does that have to do with what I said? Also, how is it even relevant? My school had select spots for the magnet kids so they had to get good grades, as a result we were able to take more honors, gt, and ap classes. I benefited greatly from that program. They wouldn't have tolerated me whining about not doing my homework because a piece of art was removed from my school. Though, they'd probably congratulate me if I used the proper means of appealing the decision to remove the art.

By the way, everyone is a conformist in some way. Even when people rebel against the establishment, the all rebel in the same ways. Calling someone a conformist is an empty insult.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Calling someone a conformist is an empty insult.

Why are you insulted? You just swelled up with all your achievements. Be proud of your conformity. You are the top example of your class.

You have embraced the system . It has rewarded you greatly. No conflicts of interest here.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Why are you insulted? You just swelled up with all your achievements. Be proud of your conformity. You are the top example of your class.

The way you said it to me implied you don't think highly of such a label, in other words an insult.

You have embraced the system . It has rewarded you greatly. No conflicts of interest here.

And this post drives that home since it seems to be dripping with sarcasm.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

The way you said it to me implied you don't think highly of such a label,…

Any "label".

Labeling only results in division of "classes". Thats what they really teach you in "school". Are you the "head of the class"? Did you "pass the class"? What will your "class mates" think?

All you learned from all that was to "feel" superior and, by definition, "class"-ify others as "inferior".

These aren't insults by the way, just opinions. I "labeled" you a conformist because labeling is what you understand.

If I tried to talk in human terms you might resort again to…

Huh? What does that have to do with what I said? Also, how is it even relevant?

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

how dare he try to hold the school hostage until he gets his religion forced on everyone. He should be immediately arrested for subversion and terrorism.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: damwel

how dare he try to hold the school hostage until he gets his religion forced on everyone. He should be immediately arrested for subversion and terrorism.

I think that him being ridiculed, ostracized, and labeled a geek by his peers will be enough punishment. High school can be an ugly and cruel place for a geek.

On the other hand Marion Ohio is probably a fairly conservative place and he may be viewed as the "second coming" by many....
anyway he has received his 15 min. of fame allotted to everyone; Now he can slide back into the common adolescent mindset of confusion, loneliness, and teenage angst.

His FB acct. is down...idk what that means.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Your condescending tone isn't necessary and at this point I am done talking to you.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Anthony Miller, I don't agree with your stance but you have my utmost respect for having the guts to take action, question authority, and take the heat.

In light of recent news (and old news) I have to agree

We all say we believe in conscientious objection, whistle-blowers and peaceful protest. I'm not sure we always do. It is so good to see a kid stand up for what he believes - even if I don't agree with him

This reminds me that it was just about this time last year that the whole Duck Killer Anti-homosexual story hit and it's all we could talk about for days - or weeks...

Freedom of speech - I love the mess. We're so lucky

:-)

edit on 12/16/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: link...

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

He's standing up for something he believes in, most of the detractors sit back and continue to do nothing about the issues they believe in.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

He's standing up for something he believes in, most of the detractors sit back and continue to do nothing about the issues they believe in.

Wow, unfounded conclusion eh?

What are you doing except being critical of others?

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I regularly volunteer at soup kitchens because I believe the needy should have food if they need it and when time permits I help out high functioning autistic teens deal with social problems, facial/bodily ticks, etc. My hs teacher set me up with that, I do it for free because I have personal experience with it and my belief is many of these kids could benefit from people who've been successful despite their "difference".

Not bragging either, if I had more free time I'd do more.
edit on 16-12-2014 by Yeahkeepwatchingme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

It's true - from time to time that is all of us. People have the right in this country to stand up for what they believe in - until we don't

There might be consequences - but peaceful protest is so incredibly important

What I think is interesting is that we all yammer on and on about this stuff here at ATS, but the fact of the matter is if we don't exercise our rights there's no point in having them

Kids are so often told to just obey the rules that I think it's important that they learn (early) that if they think something is wrong or feel very strongly about something they believe in they should speak up and take a stand

From the linked article:

Kirk Koennecke said that he plans to meet with Miller and other concerned students on January 6 to discuss alternative locations for the plaque.

There will be a lot of debate - and he will probably not win this one. Doesn't matter - if he hadn't said anything there wouldn't be the debate - and that's the most important part

On the other side of this same (kinda) issue:
After weeks of student protests, Colorado school board gives a little ground on ‘positive’ history curriculum

Was more than one kid, parents and teachers got involved - but they caught all kinds of flak. Pretty much like you'd expect

Good for them :-)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I regularly volunteer at soup kitchens because I believe the needy should have food if they need it and when time permits I help out high functioning autistic teens deal with social problems, facial/bodily ticks, etc. My hs teacher set me up with that, I do it for free because I have personal experience with it and my belief is many of these kids could benefit from people who've been successful despite their "difference".

You are certainly to be commended for your efforts; perhaps that explains your holier than thou, critical attitude of others!

To be clear; you have no idea what other ATS members are doing to make a difference. Short sided troll like BS !!

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

It seems to be the method he chose that many are objecting to, because it's harmful to him.

Not that he's taking a stand for a belief.

You just seem to like to rant.

edit on 16-12-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

How mature of you.

And your criticism means what?

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: MentorsRiddle
Why is this kid an idiot for standing up for what he believes in?

Because he's a Christian. It's politically correct to rain down hate on Christians and their beliefs. I mean, a giant Menorah in front of the white house? No problem. A nativity scene in a mall? RAISE HELL!

I'm for absolute separation of church and state. No pandering to any religion one way or the other.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Because I defend my beliefs? Or is it my point of view that bothers you so much?

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

a reply to: Annee

Because I defend my beliefs? Or is it my point of view that bothers you so much?

My posts have been statements.

The emotional frustrations and "bothers" come directly from you.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join