It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio teen refuses to do homework until school brings back Ten Commandments plaque

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

So you believe there is avoid of nothingness when it comes to god? It's a belief. Sorry, fail.

Dr1Ak: You're condemning an entire religion due to the past.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

''You're condemning an entire religion due to the past.''

And to be on subject, this kid's actions (among many other fundamentalists and extremists) drives us, exactly there ,
to the past.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cheddarhead
If that young man feels that strongly about having a religious symbol in a publicly funded school, then maybe he and his parents should discuss attending a private Christian school instead. Let him refuse to do his homework and participate at school all he wants, he's only hurting himself and his grades.

This. That's what I don't get. He and his parents, if religion is so important, they have the option of religious school. No need to jeopardize his future, unless he's ok with a life flipping burgers. There is also homeschooling. But, if he feels it's worth destroying this to make a statement, it's his choice. I hope the state does not interfere in this.

Personally, the ten commandments are a joke. If you need a couple of rocks scribbled on by by bronze age goat herding nomads to tell you not to kill, steal, lie, or be envious of other's belongings and relationships, then you have bigger problems than can be fixed in Sunday school. Besides, the commandments are hardly unique or profound. The same prohibitions against murder, theft, and adultery have been in every civilization in recorded history, and a core part of many religions much older.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Dr1Akula

And the atheists condemning him and knocking him down are what? Securing freedom for all? Puhlease, your entire argument is the kid's a Christian. As if we couldn't tell from your avatar mate.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
a reply to: Dr1Akula

And the atheists condemning him and knocking him down are what? Securing freedom for all? Puhlease, your entire argument is the kid's a Christian. As if we couldn't tell from your avatar mate.

I thought he said it was about separation of church and state.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   

a reply to: WakeUpBeer

So if they think something doesn't exist then why would they even acknowledge the commandments on the wall? Following their logic they're getting offended....over nothing. Kind of defeats that "doesn't exist" doctrine.

It isn't getting offended over nothing. It's getting offended over the perpetuation of ignorance and blind devotion to an immoral text from ages gone by. Now, the ten commandments (at least some) may not be a big deal in and of themselves. Certainly nobody can argue some of them are things to take to heart. But they come from a religion responsible for much bloodshed and bigotry etc. As Dr1AKula pointed out a few posts above. You can say "it's not the religion that did that, it's easily manipulated people being led by those who corrupt doctrine for profit and control" and that's true in a lot of cases. It's equally true that the Bible calls for these things (or did in the past - depending on your interpretation - see my sig). Either way, past present or future, the Bible is an immoral piece of history and it's big daddy in the sky has a get out of jail free card.

That's not to say that people can't and don't find solace in the Bible. Or that Christianity can't change a persons life for the better. It isn't entirely garbage, as far as wise teachings go. At any rate though, the Ten Commandments shouldn't be displayed at the school. I personally don't want Christianity to gain any more traction than it already has. Not because I don't respect the rights of others to believe whatever they choose. But for many other reasons. I want people to be able to believe what they wish.

So when an atheist says they believe there is no god then what are they saying? They don't believe they believe there's no god?

Personally, my stance is I don't believe in God (any God) because all the evidence offered to me to verify his/hers existence does not stand up to scrutiny. In the case of Christianity (the one I am most familiar with) I also believe there is more evidence against it being legit. Those who cling to straws will argue you can't prove a negative and that's true. You can get close enough for comfort though. Can you prove to me there are no centaurs in existence?

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   

And what's being separated here? Church and state. Really, the anti-Christian sentiments in this thread shows atheists can't talk about religion without getting very upset. So if they don't think it exists, why are they crying so much? A waste of energy, or are their "beliefs" that valuable to them?

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Nice try, you guys prove yourselves to be anti-Christian and try to hide behind essays. You're not fooling anybody.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

And what's being separated here? Church and state. Really, the anti-Christian sentiments in this thread shows atheists can't talk about religion without getting very upset. So if they don't think it exists, why are they crying so much? A waste of energy, or are their "beliefs" that valuable to them?

The only person I see getting upset is YOU.

America is and has always been a secular government. Public school is government.
edit on 15-12-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Actually atheism and anti-theism are two different things.

I happen to be both.

Not sure what wool you think I'm trying to pull over your eyes. In fact you replied so fast I'm not even sure you gave my post a proper reading but no biggie. Typical.

What if the jihadists wanted to start representing their beliefs in a public school? Would you have a problem then?

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Nah you're frustrated people have beliefs.

Wake: I did read your post so you fail once again.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Not sure what I've failed at but ok. I'm not concerned about it.

Take care guy. Hail Satan!

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Nah you're frustrated people have beliefs.

So, you are projecting "frustration" on me.

You do realize that is your emotion coming from you. Right?

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Thanks for showing your bigotry.

You failed to hide it. God bless you!

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

LOL

Where did I show bigotry?

How is Christianity not bigoted?

What if the jihadists wanted to start representing their beliefs in a public school? Would you have a problem then?

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Read your own posts. How are you not bigoted?

Jihadists (terrorists) are extremists. Not the typical Christian, Muslim you're trying to equate them to. Sorry...

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Wrong. I am not trying to equate them to anything other than believers of one thing or another. You want the right to have the ten commandments in schools. So too should other groups regardless of how extreme YOU view them. Why can't you respect their beliefs? What about the Baphomet statue at the OK State Capital? What if one was to be erected at the public school? Would you have a problem with that? Is that extreme to you?

Separation of church and state is there for a reason.

I am no bigot, I merely have different opinions then you on relgion.

Nowhere have I said I don't believe people have a right to believe in whatever they want.

Yes, I am anti-theist. With as much passion as I have for theists to believe what they want.

Again, how is Christianity not bigoted?
edit on 12-15-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Oh please.... jihadists are terrorists don't twist this. It's not extreme to have a Baphomet statue in a public school.

As a Christian I accept other beliefs. Quite the opposite of those who want to destroy our religion for past injustices, equality or blind hatred. But you wouldn't know anything about that right?

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Ok, fair enough.

I do not think you fully understand my issues with religion. That's ok because I only touched upon some of them in this thread. I am not anti-theist out of blind hatred, past injustices (entirely anyway), or because I want everyone to believe the same thing. I also said I feel as strongly in support of your right to believe whatever you want. I support other beliefs too. In fact I used to be a Christian, and most of my family are Christians. There are at least ten Bibles on the book shelf behind me. My dislike of religion isn't out of ignorance. That's a whole other thread and wall of text.

This is a sensitive subject. I'm confident were we to talk about this more in depth you would understand my position more and not see me as a bigot. As I'm confident you are probably not a bigot despite some of the instructions from the Bible (again, depending on your personal interpretation).

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I'm allowing my future children to be raised as Jews because I have no problem with it. If people want to put up Baphomet statues, or Baha'i symbols, or the Subgenius Bob (in my sig) I don't have a problem with it.

But I have a problem with people knocking this kid for standing up when most of us would never put anything on the line for our principles. The Bible mentions slavery. I'm against it. Also mentions killing gays, I'm against it. The Bible was written by people out to control and profit. There is truth in it but it's filled with perverted hatred.

The word of an all-loving God wouldn't include killing infants and obeying your slaver, that's man.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join