It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio teen refuses to do homework until school brings back Ten Commandments plaque

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
a reply to: Annee

Courtesy of the bigotry many members like yourself have against religion. So exactly what problems do you have with Christians and Muslims and Jews?

I was raised in the 50s in a Metaphysical/Christian belief of Power of Positive Thinking. People of many different beliefs attended for the Metaphysical, Positive Thought presentations. My mother believed everyone must walk their own path to enlightenment.

Where are you getting bigotry from me? Would that be from: we are a secular country that has separation of church and state?

Yes --- I absolutely 100% support separation of church and state. So, if that makes me a bigot . . .

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

As I said if secularism targets a few religions it's bigotry. If it wants to exclude all it isn't in my eyes.

If your mother believed everyone should walk their own path to enlightenment who are we to deny people from being exposed to all paths of enlightenment? Who's to say which ones are allowed, judged or distorted?

The entire issue is people bullying the kid for his views instead of commending him for standing up in an age where many do nothing. He has principles and many belittled him for his beliefs.

If you're against all religions in the state you're not a bigot, but if you selectively target a few you are imo.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

A star for that post

That's what we're talking about - right there

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

As I said if secularism targets a few religions it's bigotry. If it wants to exclude all it isn't in my eyes.

There is no bigotry here.

The plaque was the Christian 10 commandments. A Christian student is objecting.

No other religion or belief is involved.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

My point is from a pov of a Christian (and I use that term liberally in my case because I don't believe all the things in the bible), I see plenty of attacks on one faith and to me it's a little ridiculous.

I used to be an atheist who never thought about god and heaven and hell. But I started looking into it and discovered things I thought were relevant.

I didn't go against secularism imo because I was bringing up how people were against his beliefs, instead of admiring his courage regardless of what he's standing for.

If people want Baphomet, Ganesha, Buddha, Mohammad, menoras, conjure bags to be put on display in the interest of equality I have no objections.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I didn't go against secularism imo because I was bringing up how people were against his beliefs, instead of admiring his courage regardless of what he's standing for.

Which was the point of the thread - absolutely

Tolerance is the only way forward. I'll always argue for secularism and against religion when religion demands that we live by their rules and their rules only

But, past that, I can't honestly support intolerance for intolerance sake and not call myself a hypocrite

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I see plenty of attacks on one faith and to me it's a little ridiculous.

I have no idea where you get this from. We are not attacking his faith. If you actually read the whole thread, many have APPLAUDED him for his stand.

What we are saying that it is not smart for him (where were his parents BTW???) to stop doing homework and put his future in jeopardy.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

There's lots of insults in the thread towards him based on religion. It can't be denied. I did actually read the entire thread and that's why I brought it up.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

a reply to: Deaf Alien

There's lots of insults in the thread towards him based on religion. It can't be denied. I did actually read the entire thread and that's why I brought it up.

So, I went back and read.

It's like you and one other guy harping about religion and Christianity abuse.

For the most part, the rest of the posters are trying to steer away from making this about religion.

Other then separation of church and state.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Because we're the ones willing to call out hatred when we see it despite it's popularity. You can deny it all you want, but there most certainly is anti-Christian sentiments in this thread. How people can speak about tolerance and faith while ignoring their own prejudices I have no idea. The double standards are disgraceful. If this kid was fighting for anything else many would commend him.

Instead, many proved their biases and tried to pretend it doesn't exist.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
N/M

Didn't address the subject.
edit on 16-12-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

No, people like you denying their own prejudices. Thankyou for proving my point.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

a reply to: Spiramirabilis

My point is from a pov of a Christian (and I use that term liberally in my case because I don't believe all the things in the bible), I see plenty of attacks on one faith and to me it's a little ridiculous.

And that's why you take offense , and assume this is an attack to the christians. You seem to be the one who's prejudged.
I admit, since the topic is about a christian kid, being anti-christian may sound prejudging but that is also the case when being a christian. We all have our povs, but that doesn't mean we can't have a nice mature and objective discussion about such a serious issue (separation of state and church).

I would have no problem to applaud this kid's actions if he was standing up for his rights. but he is not doing that, None
denied him the right to be a christian or wear a cross, but it's not his right to have a christian symbol in a public school.

Lets take a similar case; Would you still admire his courage regardless of what he's standing for, even if he wanted to put a swastika on the wall? He would still be standing up for his principles in an age where many do nothing, (just like you said earlier). Would that be social acceptable to you?

You see some may believe in nazism and it's their own right to do so, just as a many others have the right to be against it. It works the same for every other ideology or religion.

If people want Baphomet, Ganesha, Buddha, Mohammad, menoras, conjure bags to be put on display in the interest of equality I have no objections.

But I would have.... regardless the religion. that's what I am trying to say.
I may have my own personal reasons for disliking christianity (and islamism), but that's my personal opinion, and it's irrelevant to the topic, I only stated them earlier because you asked;

But with atheism, if you think the commandments are made up, then why raise a fuss about it being on the wall?

Even though, I have no problem with christians (or any other religious people) unless they are trying to push their religion on others. Just like I have no problem with those who believe in nazism either, until their ideology makes them take action and try to exterminate the Jews, or something.
People have the right to be anti-nazi, anti-communist, anti- democratic, anti-fascist, anti-muslim, and I have the right to be an anti-christian. I understand your frustration being a christian, but don't take it personal, I have many christian friend's and family members. I don't hate other people just because of their religion, (but the religion itself), being anti-christian is just part of my ideology and what I stand for, so no hard feelings from me...

All I want to say is that, I am not prejudged because this kid is a christian, I just think what he is fighting for (having a religious symbol in a public school) is not social acceptable, I would think the same if he was a buddhist, muslim, satanist or whatever.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
The public school system is probably on its way out, at least that is my wish. Its an outdated system built and based upon something that isn't that relevant today. I mean think about it, kids are tech savvy and have info at their fingertips and are probably bored beyond distraction by the constrained routine of their day....ugh, it's almost like being in prison.

Good for that kid for standing up for his principles, at least he is awake and has the guts to stand up for his beliefs. I hardly think he'll do poorly in life. In fact, it's kids like that who buck the system that will probably change things. Its so easy these days to do homeschooling, or online school and honestly, by the time you're sixteen you can drop out of the "institution" and get your GED and enroll in college. It's all about the money and funding teachers pay and retirement.

I say good riddance to the archaic public school system; it does more harm than good. I know, I see it in my kid's eyes every day.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofsheba

Good for that kid for standing up for his principles, at least he is awake and has the guts to stand up for his beliefs.

Are your views of the world today the same as when you were 15?

When you were 15 --- who influenced your view of the world?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee Its not about my world view at 15, that is irrelevant. Not my experience or story.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofsheba
a reply to: Annee Its not about my world view at 15, that is irrelevant. Not my experience or story.

It's about everyone's changes as they mature. I'm sure you understood what I meant.

Most teens are impressionable and idealistic. That's why their targets for recruiting for causes.

Will be interesting to revisit this kid in 15 years.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofsheba

Good for that kid for standing up for his principles, at least he is awake and has the guts to stand up for his beliefs. I hardly think he'll do poorly in life.

It is not about him standing up for his principles. As I (and others) have said, we APPLAUD him for that.

Now... what do you think parents would do if their kids refuse to do their homework and ignore their futures? What if that kid threatened to skip classes? You get the idea. Why throw away your future over something minor? His actions will not have ANY effect, only himself.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien And why do you think they are throwing away their futures when there are alternatives to public school? I have a feeling that kid could probably pass a GED test right now. That's my point....not to be afraid and freak out if this kid doesn't want to participate in a public school system he no longer believes in. The kid will be okay

edit on 17-12-2014 by queenofsheba because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofsheba

I have a feeling that kid could probably pass a GED test right now. I have a feeling that kid could probably pass a GED test right now.

And that is as good as high school diploma, not to mention him refusing to study over something minor? Will that look good on his resume?

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join