It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio teen refuses to do homework until school brings back Ten Commandments plaque

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I say kudos to this kid for standing up for his beliefs.

Though, it will likely affect his future, and that's sad. While I don't agree with his stance, he certainly has the right to stand up and defend his beliefs.

Keep on truckin', kiddo. But, you might starting learning how to properly cook a batch of french fries.
edit on 16-12-2014 by ScientificRailgun because: grammar please ;__;

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Courtesy of the bigotry many members like yourself have against religion. So exactly what problems do you have with Christians and Muslims and Jews?

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

THIS IS SUCH a load of crap. I just saw it on the news and wondered if ATS was on it already...
Here's an op/ed:
thenurturedagnostic.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

"IN GOD WE TRUST" printed on its currency? Does that make sense?

Yeah - that wasn't even started until the mid 1950s. Same with the Pledge of Allegiance : One Nation "UNDER GOD" -- this country existed for nearly 200 years without that.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The only reason this is news is because its about the Ten Commandments. If he was shucking homework because he didn't like his school colors or something, this wouldn't even make it into the news. The presence of the ten commandments is trying to make an issue out of a non-issue. This kid is a moron, and in this thread the Christians are buying into it because one of their sacred idols (lol irony) is under fire. Boohoo.

APPLAUSE!!!!

Little punk.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: JHumm

"IN GOD WE TRUST" printed on its currency? Does that make sense?

Yeah - that wasn't even started until the mid 1950s. Same with the Pledge of Allegiance : One Nation "UNDER GOD" -- this country existed for nearly 200 years without that.

To further this. Both happened under Eisenhower who converted while in office. He wanted to push his enthusiasm for religion onto others and at the same time believed religion provided a defense against the godless Communists.

There is the occasional movement today to remove under God from the pledge but most districts have simply made the compromise that you don't have to say it. No one is brave enough to touch the currency issue as Christians raise hell any time you try and touch something like that.

Perhaps if Christians were more tolerant of others beliefs they would find people more tolerant of things like a nativity scene in a mall.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Yeah and all the tolerance for Christianity. Lol don't even start, the bigotry is pathetic.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Yeah - but at what point does the protagonist become the antagonist - and how do we decide which is which?

:-)

One manifestation of secularism is asserting the right to be free from religious rule and teachings, or, in a state declared to be neutral on matters of belief, from the imposition by government of religion or religious practices upon its people.

Neutral is what we're shooting for - not Antitheism. We obviously can't have all religions and beliefs represented in a school or in our government. We definitely can't allow only one - and so we have none. He's not going to win his argument (I hope) - but - he has as much right as anyone to fight for his beliefs

What I'd love to see happen (she said optimistically) is to have this kid involved in the debate and come to understand why it won't work to have the 10 commandments where they've always been all these years

edit on 12/16/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Your argument depends on bigotry - don't think we're fooled

Curious - do you support the rights of those students in Colorado that I linked to protest for their cause? Early on in this thread I saw that you would support Jews, Muslims and Christians - but you said nothing about agnostics, atheists or secularists

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I most certainly would. But don't think we're fooled by the incessant bigotry and hatred in this thread towards Christians. It's hypocrisy.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I read through this whole thread - most (most - not all) of the replies were trying to argue from a neutral position - your need to insert bigotry where there wasn't any is pretty obvious

On the other hand - the whole argument depends on the idea of arguing for religion in public schools. So, unless you want to say that we can't even discuss it - or that secularism is the same thing as bigotry, I would say the issue is yours

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Nope sorry. The bigotry and hatred towards Christians was started early in the thread. I pointed it out. I support the kid for standing up for his beliefs. People tried to hide their hatred for Christians behind bullying the kid for "ruining his future" among other things.

Nice try.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

LOL what a chump, let him ruin his grade over a bronze aged belief system that has no place in modern society.

GF noob.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

We're having a nice discussion here about religion in public schools, a kid that's taken on the system - 10 pages now and most of it is civil, interesting and balanced

What was it you were saying about whining earlier? You're not arguing about the topic - you're arguing around it

Obvious persecution troll is obvious

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Ohio teen refuses to do homework until school brings back Ten Commandments plaque

Put them back.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Yeah you're not fooling anyone. If you refuse to see the hypocrisy in this thread from those who feel the need to rag on him for standing up for something not worthy in their eyes you're blind. So besides calling me a troll for being on topic what do you have to offer?

A "nice discussion" doesn't describe a thread filled with anti religious hatred.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

A "nice discussion" doesn't describe a thread filled with anti religious hatred.

Being anti-religious doesn't necessarily involve hatred

Do you think secularism is bigotry? Or are you unable to answer a simple question because you've already decided that the subject is about nothing more than Christian bashing?

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

In this thread it does involve hatred from the anti-religious crowd.

Secularism is not bigotry if it is against all religious faiths being in the state. It becomes bigotry if one or a few are attacked and persecuted.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
a reply to: Aazadan

Yeah and all the tolerance for Christianity. Lol don't even start, the bigotry is pathetic.

Tolerance is a two way street. I have no problem with Christians but I do have a big problem when I have to make specific references to their God or have laws passed by my representatives in Congress that are only based upon what is said in the Bible.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

THIS IS SUCH a load of crap. I just saw it on the news and wondered if ATS was on it already...
Here's an op/ed:
thenurturedagnostic.com...

That was a good article.

We are not a Christian nation. Get over it.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join