It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Oil's plans to set of huge underwater explosions that could endanger the survival of the unique

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
((Mods: I did a search so I'm sorry if I missed this already being posted. This article was again sent to me by a petition site so I will share the meat & potatoes from that & include links from other sources))

A tiny Arctic community is fighting Big Oil, and they need our help.

Off the coast of Clyde River, Nunavut, unspoiled Arctic waters are home to 90% of the world's narwhals. These unique tusked whales play a crucial role in the aquatic ecosystem, and for thousands of years have been a staple of the local Inuit community. But now their very survival is in danger.

The Canadian government just granted oil corporations the right to search for drilling sites in the ocean near Clyde River. Offshore drilling is bad enough, but the search is worse – these oil companies will use "seismic testing," setting off huge explosions underwater to try and find oil.

Like all whales, narwhals use their hearing to communicate and to find their way safely beneath the Arctic ice. The search for oil will deafen, disorient, and kill any narwhals caught in its path. It's up to us to speak up now, and stop this while we still can.

The narwhals play a crucial role in the Arctic aquatic ecosystem. They are also an important food source for the native Inuit people, many of whom rely on subsistence hunting to survive.

For generations, big corporations have stripped northern Canada of its natural resources, trampling the rights of native peoples and destroying entire ecosystems for profit. The government has been complicit in this, auctioning off oil and mineral rights to the highest bidder and ignoring the consequences. But until now, the narwhals and the local ecosystem they support have managed to survive.

The people of Clyde River have had enough. They are standing up to the government and to Big Oil and fighting to protect their home. But there are only 900 people in Clyde River. They need us to stand with them. If we act now, we can stop the oil companies in their tracks before the damage is done.

Related Link: NEB says yes to seismic testing off eastern Nunavut Despite fierce community opposition, five-year seismic program will go ahead

In its decision, the National Energy Board said the proponents made “sufficient efforts” to consult Inuit communities and that any environmental damage can be mitigated. I'm wondering how NEB thinks that any environmental damage will be mitigated. The only way they can mitigate the impact to Narwhals is by not setting of huge underwater explosions. This is a five year plan, so when it starts, there will be an environmental impact for the next 5years. Who knows what damage will be done when it's finished and if the unique Narwhal will even survive. ((Let's not forget that once that is done, drilling will happen there))

Right now I am sickened by the Canadian Government! First Harper takes the Humpback Whale of the Endangered species list, despite it still be endangered, then are National Parks are being shut down and now this. Seriously Canadians, stop liking the Conservatives, they are raping Canada of all it's best qualities!!!!!!! In a recent poll, right now if an election was held, the Conservatives would be tied with the Liberal Government so we'd be stuck with the Conservatives destroying Canada for another 4yrs. Is that seriously what we want? Where is our pride for our land? It's time Canadians stop letting Canada be destroyed & take back what is ours! It is time we elect responsible people into power, people who will listen to what Canadians want, people who will act fairly & who will not ignore the future.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I do not like the idea of any underwater explosions, but what 'they' do use are very small explosions, 'huge' explosions damage the equipment, Google 'search for oil'.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
The obsession with money and the drive of extreme greed sets man in opposition to nature.

Those with the money do not care what they hurt, because they will be sitting rich in their mansions while the rest of the world burns.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Sabiduria

With the western governments married with corporations, when do elections become just a choreographed theater to fool people into abiding by the wealth transfers? The stakes are high.

Seriously. Who really counts votes anyway. Who counts the voter turnout? Corrupt LEOs trusted provide security? How difficult would it be just to take the actual elections "out of play".

Has it already happened?

These issues cannot be left to the elites to determine for you. You are a commoditized battery for their money machine.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
That article is from June. I've heard that all new oil projects are postponed, because of the price per barrel being only half of what it was a couple of months ago.
Maybe they won't go through with it....

That said, Harper really needs to be voted out

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Every post doubles.....
edit on 15-12-2014 by snowspirit because: double double

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

To me, it doesn't matter what size the explosions are, all explosions are bad.

We need to stop using oil already and move on to better natural resources.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Yes that article is from June but the main piece is not from that article. It was a separate article sent to me(2 days ago) by a site that does a lot of petitions. It's against T&C's to link a site that is a petition site so what I did is include a link from a different site that still talks about what the main article is about.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

Yes it is a shame that in North America, your votes don't count.

Why aren't more people sick of that & want to change that? The lack of action is depressing but so many people are content with their life that they don't care if many others are struggling. They think "Why should I put in hard work for everyone to have free food, free shelter, free heat, free water. If those who are without want stuff, they should work just as hard as I do" Except they don't realize that there are people out there who are working harder than that middle class person because they have to work 3 jobs to try and provide for their family but they still barely are able to do so. How is that fair? It's not.

/end mini rant ((rant was not directed at you.))
edit on 12 15 2014 by Sabiduria because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I get petitions in my email on a regular basis, I'll have to watch for this one.

The oil prices are expected to keep dropping til at least the springtime, maybe that'll give time to stop it.
Plus everyone is fighting the pipelines (east, West, south) so that is also something that they need to rethink.

They can't keep putting oil products on train cars, there aren't enough trains to also move our grain around with, and there aren't enough trucks to handle moving oil, so without more pipelines, trucks, or rail.......

There's some logistics they need to figure out.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Harper belongs to Goldman Sachs.....
Big oil is gonna be the driver of this political scene for some time to come....
Along with the Big Banks.......
Good luck trying to stop the locomotive...we are determined to destroy the earth one way or another.....

edit on 15-12-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
That article is from June. I've heard that all new oil projects are postponed, because of the price per barrel being only half of what it was a couple of months ago.
Maybe they won't go through with it....

That said, Harper really needs to be voted out

God I can't stand him..next in line a minority govt please..that would be the best thing. JT is not ready for prime time but a power share will do. Wasn't the Con. moron MP for that area caught reading a newspaper while the house was discussing the major problems in her specific constituency. These people literally make me sick and almost ashamed to be the same species.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

From your link...

To minimize damage to marine mammals, such as bowhead whales, narwhal, belugas, killer whales, polar bears, walrus, porpoise and seals, the NEB says Multi-Klient Invest should shut down the air gun array if they come within 500 metres of any marine mammal.

On each seismic run, the company must used four marine mammal observers, two of whom will be Inuit.

They must also use community liason officers in each affected community to inform them of the ship’s position.

The NEB also orders the company to inform fishing companies of their presence each day and says MKI must pay compensation if they damage fishing gear.

So they have to have mapping techniques, gps locations, and many many other things in place to keep from damaging marine life..

That doesn't matter though, it is big oil right? The bad guys!

Wait a minute, don't you contribute to big oil? I suppose you heat your home, drive your car and many other activities that directly contribute to things of this nature needing to happen to keep everyone in their comfy little lives...

But I will get blasted by many because I am pointing facts that directly lead to the defense of big oil in some way...Look in the mirror the next time you or anyone else complains about big oil, fracking, or anything else that leads to pulling oil from the ground!

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

Right I forgot I have the option for something other than oil. Even though I can hardly afford rent because of an undiagnosed illness, I can totally afford solar panels, a wind turbine and I can buy an Electric car. *roll eyes*

Get real, everyone is forced into using oil. That being said, I have extremely low power consumption in my house. I'm very cautious about what I have on in my house using power and turn off anything I am not using and even unplug from the wall. I have winterized my house so that there are no leaks around windows or doors.

For more than a decade I've been without a car so I walked everywhere or took the bus if I was going to the next town over. I just recently had to get a car because my health has been declining & I can't go for 2hr long walks to get groceries anymore. My muscles strength has been in a decline because I was too sick to do anything but be in bed or on the couch. My fiance still carpools to work even though we have a car & we don't go for joy rides. We do all our shopping in one day & try to keep it at one store. If we have to go to multiple stores in one day, we pick the location that has the two stores side by side that we shop at.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

I don't want both the Liberals & Conservatives to be in power. That's just as scary as either of those parties being in power on their own.

JT getting votes by saying he will A: Stop the pipelines from happening & B: Legalize Cannabis but I wonder what other things he has planned that we aren't hearing about. I've never liked the Liberals, federally or provincially *cough cough Christy Clark cough cough* She is destroying B.C just as much as Harper is destroying Canada.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

You don't get it do you? No matter how little you heat your home or how little you drive, you still contribute! Everyone on the earth does the same thing and until something better is found, we are at the mercy of using oil!

If they are safeguarding their efforts on wildlife, I am for it and according to your link that is what they are doing. If they can do it safely, why not explore to find more oil? We all use it! We all need it (until something else is found), so let's do what we can safely to put it in reserves. This way when the supply is greater than the demand (by finding more and storing it) the price can finally decrease, as it has been recently.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Funny thing is some people think the Canadian Government are all good, straight and narrow...

they're just as twisted and corrupt as any other government on this planet... Perhaps even more so...

Most of the leaders of this country belong in jail...

And every single one of them are infested with greed

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabiduria
a reply to: pikestaff

To me, it doesn't matter what size the explosions are, all explosions are bad.

Surely neurons firing is an explosion of sorts....that can't be a bad thing?

The sun is essentially a controlled explosion. surely that can't be a bad thing?

When I was doing seismic surveys (admittedly on land and for science, not resources) we used between 1/2 and 1/3 of a stick of Magnum Powergel. It was great fun. surely great fun can't be a bad thing? I dare say we destroyed a few invertebrates along the way though. I don't know how I can walk/breathe/eat and live with myself. I'm such a heartless killer.....

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

I don't know why you think we haven't found other alternative sources for oil when we have. It's just not being implemented because right now the Oil industry is huge.

Just because they want to be safe doesn't mean it will be safe & just because they say they will do it safely also does not meant it will be. We know from history of corporations that just because they say one thing, doesn't mean they will actually do it.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Funny thing is some people think the Canadian Government are all good, straight and narrow...

Same thing can be said about people in the U.S still thinking their government is good, straight and narrow. Some Canadians know that our government has long ago been corrupted & bought by the U.S government just like some U.S citizens know that their own government is corrupt & bought.

Most of the leaders of this country belong in jail...

And every single one of them are infested with greed

Sadly that is true for way too many leaders around the world. We have first world countries being greedy for their own interests and than you have third world countries who are greedy too, sometimes they use that money for their people but the money is to allow some bad things to keep happening (like the slaughtering of dolphins, building hunting reserves on land that belongs to indigenous people, etc)

Changes need to be made so there isn't so much greed. If we start with the basic of life being free (water, heat, shelter, electricity, food) than we will be on the right path.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join