It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the USA taking a whupping from the Chinese...?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Hi folks...

I put this in WWIII but probably should be somewhere else?

Anyways...

Had some pretty nasty IT problems last week over here in France... as well as my collegues in the UK and Germany (my server is in the Netherlands)....

Apparently end of last week also witnessed a large surge of DDoS attacks that shut ATS down for a while and may have had something to do with the Heathrow closure for a couple of hours too.

After searching for the latest DDoS attacks real time I came across this little Gem which as well as other sites shows real time attacks :

map.ipviking.com...

Can a tech savvy USA member give us more info as to why Saint louis in the USA is getting so much attention from the chinese?

I am seeing alot of ssh attacks :

Secure Shell (SSH) is a cryptographic network protocol for secure data communication, remote command-line login, remote command execution, and other secure network services between two networked computers.

It connects, via a secure channel over an insecure network, a server and a client running SSH server and SSH client programs, respectively. The protocol specification distinguishes between two major versions that are referred to as SSH-1 and SSH-2.

The best-known application of the protocol is for access to shell accounts on Unix-like operating systems, but it can also be used in a similar fashion for accounts on Windows. It was designed as a replacement for Telnet and other insecure remote shell protocols such as the Berkeley rsh and rexec protocols, which send information, notably passwords, in plaintext, rendering them susceptible to interception and disclosure using packet analysis.

The encryption used by SSH is intended to provide confidentiality and integrity of data over an unsecured network, such as the Internet.

More here from *ahem* Wiki : en.wikipedia.org...

Although the ssh attacks seem to be pretty frequent in general it seems that there is a real punch up going on right now between the USA and the Chinese and for the moment the Chinese seem to have an overall higher attack score compared to the USA?

Thoughts?

Kindest respects from a non tech savvy person who does not appreciate insults or short dry responses from tech savvy people or Trolls

Rodinus
edit on 15/12/14 by Rodinus because: Phrase changed

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   
People in the US are asleep right now ( the sane ones) as it is 3:30 am on the East Coast. It's hard to defend yourself from bed. Sneaky buggers.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
People in the US are asleep right now ( the sane ones) as it is 3:30 am on the East Coast. It's hard to defend yourself from bed. Sneaky buggers.

I hesitated in sending this thread right now as I am sure that in about 8 hours another political/racial/religious debate will come up and all that nonsense... But I thought... aw bugger it... while it is still fresh on my mind?

And of course... it is Monday so normally we get alot of snotty responses... best to start off softly with the morning coffee when our respected American cousins crank up ATS?

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 15/12/14 by Rodinus because: Word added to avoid early morning before first mug of coffee and bacon sandwich rage...

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

I don't see the USA as fighting this atm.. Not that there is a fight to fight in..

In the last 2 days all of my internet stuff has been really messed up. Maybe most people wouldn't notice this. Even my DNS server or servers have been giving up at times.

You don't appreciate short dry insults? French.... Hmmm... Hmmm.. French..

More seriously this is a new level of activity and I wouldn't think it's a chinese only attack. I'd say it's more striking while the iron is hot. The iron is only hot while your allies (pawns) are still battle worthy. China can't let Russia just fall on it's own. I mean it can but not yet.

But yes.. ST Louis.. Not sure. I was watching the online maps.

People somehow think Saudia Arabia is selling out American oil companies by producing more oil.. Hahahahah... You guys... Russia is the target, Iran too.. The only 2 main countries that are fine with lower oil prices are Saudia Arabia and America.. America exports gasoline... I'm only speculating a connection between the two. Russia not doing so hot... I think that's close enough to being on topic.

Everyone is at risk of these types of attacks. Back in my day many of my friends did this type of thing to school networks. My smarter friends hacked and changed grades, my even smarter friends got questioned by the FBI..

What we are seeing now is low level high volume stuff. Not hacking..
edit on 15-12-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   

You don't appreciate short dry insults? French.... Hmmm... Hmmm.. French..

DONT START...

I am sure you enjoy a decent Cabernet from time to time??

Thanks for your input Knight.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Mind you, those honeypot tracking sites are set up so that we're only seeing a sample of what is really occurring, thus the actual perpetrators are invisible. It could be a bunch of infected computers in China being ordered from anywhere in the world. If you think about it, the ability to bring down the internet would be a very nice thing to have in case of war, especially in the US where a lot of us have forsaken traditional mass communication methods (radio, tv, etc) that are not as open to being disabled.

The fact that these attacks over the past few weeks (if they are actually connected) have been able to easily take out what ever they've been targeting should be an ominous sign. This may sound odd, but it seems to me that it is a show of strength. I guess we should start worrying when Google goes down, haha.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   

From what I understand there is a military base there, that has something to do with cyber security.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rodinus

I am sure you enjoy a decent Cabernet from time to time??

Thanks for your input Knight.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Cabernet is my favorite.

I havn't seen any real "hacking" in all of this. It's more of the mongol horde crashing the gates, and the gates are then full of mongols, so no one else can get in.

The internet has always been this vulnerable. Hasn't been attacked in this organized manner as commonly in the past. But all things on earth are being more organized, of course until the internet is no longer organized hahaha..
edit on 15-12-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: IntroduceALittleIrony

From what I understand there is a military base there, that has something to do with cyber security.

Thanks IAL (keeping your name short for obvious reasons as too long to type)... WELL.... That was a waste of time was it not?

Anyways...

It would be extremely interesting to have knowledge from other ATS members as to what is EXACTLY going on in Saint Louis in order that attacks from China (or any other considered enemy country to the USA?) are actually happening (or have happened in the past).

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 15/12/14 by Rodinus because: Crap grammar

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Hello Rodinius,

i'm not really answering your question but rather filling your thread with relevant pictures

I had the Norse running for about 10 hrs, amazingly the US had over 100 000 attacks. Second on the list, Russia with ~700 attacks. http(80 and 8080), ssh, ms-sql, mysql, telnet, ssdp, smtp and sip were used the most. There were also some radmin attacks that i chuckled at, like wtf

It seems that while the iron is hot, just pound it boys 'n girls!

Thruth to be told, i find these attacks beautifully orchestrated. I do acknowledge that there might be damages involved, hell, couple of my servers have been affected too because of this frenzy. But i cannot just wipe the beauty of this under the rag. If you have had damages because of this, i'm sorry for you. It's still beautiful.

You could say that the US is being USed if you get the drift.

Total in 10hrs

Excellency in diverse attack (just watch the colours) I had the feeling that someone yelled "Light her up" just before executing.. The different colors mean types of attack.

Full pics:
files.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: menneni

Hello Rodinius,

i'm not really answering your question but rather filling your thread with relevant pictures

I had the Norse running for about 10 hrs, amazingly the US had over 100 000 attacks. Second on the list, Russia with ~700 attacks. http(80 and 8080), ssh, ms-sql, mysql, telnet, ssdp, smtp and sip were used the most. There were also some radmin attacks that i chuckled at, like wtf

It seems that while the iron is hot, just pound it boys 'n girls!

Thruth to be told, i find these attacks beautifully orchestrated. I do acknowledge that there might be damages involved, hell, couple of my servers have been affected too because of this frenzy. But i cannot just wipe the beauty of this under the rag. If you have had damages because of this, i'm sorry for you. It's still beautiful.

You could say that the US is being USed if you get the drift.

Total in 10hrs

Excellency in diverse attack (just watch the colours) I had the feeling that someone yelled "Light her up" just before executing.. The different colors mean types of attack.

Full pics:

Thanks for those picks my Finnish friend... magnificent fireworks display that many people will not even take the time to look at...

By the way... was in Helsinki a couple of years ago... Loved every single second of the daylight but was begging for at least 8 hours dark after one week... Luckily the bars are open late... or we thought they were due to the light difference...

Kindest respects from France

Rodinus
edit on 15/12/14 by Rodinus because: My spelling is at rather a crap level today... I hate Mondays...

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Well I could sit and watch it for hours and still be ignorant, just pretty colours.

Just to go off topic but what does it all mean in layman's terms.

Its beautiful to watch but it means nothing, what are they attacking and why

I have noticed my computer running slow and I am not anywhere near the attack areas, in fact my part of the world hasnt any lights.

Whats that little hexagon between and below Africa and south America represent, alien spaceship?

It does look like WWIII
edit on b2014Mon, 15 Dec 2014 04:21:28 -0600123120141am312014-12-15T04:21:28-06:00 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   
There is a reason SSH attacks seem to come from multiple sources as a good SSH server should ban the target IP address for a while after 3 wrong attempts so you need to have plenty of different IP addresses so that you can brute force the required password but a good sysadmin will have something setup to warn them of a brute force attack so anymore than 20 attempted logins in a hour would send them an alert and perhaps even lock out SSH access for a few hours for the target login

Most of what we see is paid for botnets being used for whatever the owners of them are paid for so didn't get a raise at work well lets take the network down for a day or two as revenge and while i've not looked at the prices for a while its generally not that expensive to buy capacity on a botnet to cause trouble as if you probably spend a $100 on a few hours of trouble it will cost them a lot more in that they'll be hiring in experts, fitting new kit etc and in the smaller business area its becoming more common as if your competitor releases something new you can ruin their big day by making their website unavailable for a day

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I was eaten alive this weekend. Because I rarely watch the news and even when I did not a mention of any cyber attack (which is very telling), I thought it was a an issue with my service provider. After three long phone calls no resolution and of course they were oblivious to this also.

Interesting, I suspect that it was either a "test" from America on itself for either a false flag or a new defensive toy orit was an actual attack. I say this because it wasn't used as propaganda on the masses. "Hey look! We were attacked by China we need an Internet kill switch" wash rense repeat, pass legislation, history written. Love you Orwell!

Yet, nothing...all quiet on the MSM front.....curious. The US is playing with something me thinks.
edit on 15-12-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Hey, thanks for your kind words!

And yeah, the amount of light on summers, it's just as infuriating for us natives too. To catch sleep, you really need good curtains, hehe! It's hard to make kids go to sleep on summer eves. On the other hand, winters are just Dark. Sunrise on 10 o'clock, darkness taking over on 15.30.

BTW, my grandparents lived for some 20 years on France, mainly in La Rochelle. Very beautiful country you guys have there! And the French women.. Oh my! Also i don't ever forget those wonderful wine-farms i saw on the hills somewhere in eastern France.

I've adopted something from your food-culture too; i was introduced with "Raclette" early in my years, and nowadays we eat frequently around our cheap raclette-grill
The supply of good cheeses around here is... pathetic.

Anyways... before taking your thread over with French-loving, culinary talk, i must stop now. Life is awesome, yes!

Best regards to you with respect!

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
There is a reason SSH attacks seem to come from multiple sources as a good SSH server should ban the target IP address for a while after 3 wrong attempts so you need to have plenty of different IP addresses so that you can brute force the required password but a good sysadmin will have something setup to warn them of a brute force attack so anymore than 20 attempted logins in a hour would send them an alert and perhaps even lock out SSH access for a few hours for the target login

Most of what we see is paid for botnets being used for whatever the owners of them are paid for so didn't get a raise at work well lets take the network down for a day or two as revenge and while i've not looked at the prices for a while its generally not that expensive to buy capacity on a botnet to cause trouble as if you probably spend a $100 on a few hours of trouble it will cost them a lot more in that they'll be hiring in experts, fitting new kit etc and in the smaller business area its becoming more common as if your competitor releases something new you can ruin their big day by making their website unavailable for a day

Thanks for the explanation Max... Perfectly understood erm... I think?

Sorry I am a veterinary and have problems with circuits, electronics, radio waves, internet and all that kind of jazz?

So from what I can gather, the chinese have Loads a money to spend on Botnets to bugger around with the world?

If I understand correctly : A botnet is a bunch of worldwide connected programs working with similar programs on connected computers (even thought the user may not be aware) and spreading their different malicious crap around the world wide cheese cracker biscuit?

Looking at the map that I provided in the original post they must be pretty loaded with cash to send all of that across to the USA?

I am crap, so please be kind when it comes to this type of discussion... trying to learn although a little slow... when it comes to computer technology.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

I wish what has transpired was something so simple, but there are a few coincidences that trouble me. Specifically, similar services from various companies have been targeted at similar times, indicating organization at some level. From major MMOs being brought down during prime time to Steam to Reddit and to even major conspiracy sites. I honestly didn't think about it too much about it until all the alt forums went down at once, so perhaps this is just a poor interpretation of events.

It just seems different from a few years ago when you'd have some source claim they were the ones doing it and why. Perhaps the media and the companies are using a no publicity tactic? That seems farfetched when social media is stronger than it has ever been, however.

Ofc, I like to think that "T/GM" on that other more anonymous site finally banned the wrong person with connections to pull off such a thing, ha.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: menneni

Hey, thanks for your kind words!

BTW, my grandparents lived for some 20 years on France, mainly in La Rochelle. Very beautiful country you guys have there! And the French women.. Oh my! Also i don't ever forget those wonderful wine-farms i saw on the hills somewhere in eastern France.

I've adopted something from your food-culture too; i was introduced with "Raclette" early in my years, and nowadays we eat frequently around our cheap raclette-grill
The supply of good cheeses around here is... pathetic.

Anyways... before taking your thread over with French-loving, culinary talk, i must stop now. Life is awesome, yes!

Best regards to you with respect!

Ahhhh La Rochelle... I am about 2 hours drive away... and La Raclette... nothing better if you want a cheese baby the next day...

Let me know for the wine... We have a family viineyard...

Anyways... right, back on topic...?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Air Force Network Center at Scott AFB near St Louis, Boeing Fighter division, Boeing Phantom Works, multiple credit card and financial institutions.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   

A bot net is just a load of compromised computers under the control of one person, normally the actual owner of the machine doesn't realise the fact, most computers compromised will be those of people who don't take care of their machines or just install cracks and all sorts of pirated stuff with no thought and they could be anywhere in the world but there is becoming a more prevalent method aiming at data centres as they have bigger pipes onto the internet and thus can throw a lot more crap at a target,

The price of botnets is pretty cheap for the damage it does and you may only want to take a site down for a day or two so why spend ages getting your own botnet when you can hire someone elses out for the day.

There is loads of botnets and some machines are on multiple botnets so seeing multiple targets getting hit and its the bot's own bandwidth they're using so you just send the bot a command "nuke www.rodinus.com" and thats it off it goes, trying to hide the command and control system from shutdown is the hard part and it can take months to trace the real source and by that time they've probably cashed up and legged it.

As for multiple targets i'd imagine theres hacking groups looking to make a name for themselves so they'll target a specific area so they can brag on facebook/twitter and a DDoS is pretty much the most basic of ways to annoy people

top topics

<<   2 >>

join