It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orion Test Flight Behind the Scenes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I was selected by NASA to attend the NASA Social for Orion's EFT-1 test flight. I was able to go behind the scenes and tour secured areas of KSC, getting almost close enough to the rocket to jump aboard (if that were possible). It also gave me front row seats for the launch, literally feet from the "danger zone." It was an amazing experience, and I did the best I could to condense it into this video.

I also took a tour of ATK's facility where they're preparing the booster segments for use in the first generation of the SLS rocket as part of the next test flight. I'll be putting those video clips together for a second video later.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ngchunter
I was selected by NASA to attend the NASA Social for Orion's EFT-1 test flight. I was able to go behind the scenes and tour secured areas of KSC, getting almost close enough to the rocket to jump aboard (if that were possible). It also gave me front row seats for the launch, literally feet from the "danger zone." It was an amazing experience, and I did the best I could to condense it into this video.

I also took a tour of ATK's facility where they're preparing the booster segments for use in the first generation of the SLS rocket as part of the next test flight. I'll be putting those video clips together for a second video later.

Thank you for sharing. I attended just one launch in my life, STS-57, and I can tell you I still can feel the rumble of the launch through my body. It was the most incredible feeling I have ever experienced -- feeling the power of the shuttle rockets reverberating through my body.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ngchunter

Holy cow! What an honour! You honestly deserve it and I'm glad NASA picked up your amazing knowledge and keen interest in space and gave you such an amazing reward.

I take it you got the invite due to your amazing deep space photography that I am always impressed by that you showcase in the Astrophotography Thread?

If anyone hasn't seen some of the photo's that ngchunter has taken, I strongly urge you to take a look, here's an example ngchunter took of the Running Man Nebula.

edit on 15-12-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Qumulys

Holy cow! What an honour! You honestly deserve it and I'm glad NASA picked up your amazing knowledge and keen interest in space and gave you such an amazing reward.

I take it you got the invite due to your amazing deep space photography that I am always impressed by that you showcase in the Astrophotography Thread?

Actually I hate to say it, but honestly I think what they're looking for is primarily the number of followers/subscribers a person's social media account has. Additionally they look to make sure that the person doesn't make offensive/racist/bigoted remarks in their social media account. I did apply for the slot on the basis of the astrophotography on my youtube channel, promising to bring that experience to bear on photographing the launch and mission, but I don't know how much that really contributed to my selection. I guess it couldn't have hurt though. Thanks for your support, glad you enjoy my photos!

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Well regardless of why they chose you, what a rush it must have been to be there! Do you live nearby, or did you have to make your own way there - twice? How bummed were you the first attempt when they pulled the plug?

new topics

top topics

join