It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Your Cell Phone Distracts You Even When You’re Not Using It

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I found this article quite interesting and it seems to confirm what I've suspected---

Even if you go all day without touching your cell phone once, just having it visible nearby may distract you from complex tasks, according to new research in the journal Social Psychology. In the first part of the study, which looked at a group of more than 50 college students, participants were asked to complete different motor tasks with the study leader’s cell phone visible. In the second, participants completed motor tasks with their own cell phones visible. Performance on complex tasks suffered in both conditions when compared to control groups with no visible cell phone.

The study builds on previous research that suggests that having your cell phone out reduces the quality of social interaction, even if you don’t engage with your phone. Having the phone out stifled “interpersonal closeness and trust” and kept study participants from feeling empathy for one another, a 2012 study in the Journal of Social and Personal Relationships found.

time.com...

I have quite a few relatives who just aren't "into" cell phones and e-gadgets but feel the need to have one for work or "just in case" due to family health issues, etc. When they drop by for a visit they leave their gadgets in the car.
Other members of my family and friends seem to be addicted and go into what appears to be an anxiety attack if they discover that they've left it in the car. They seem insulted if anyone suggests they can live without it for the hour or so it will take to have dinner without electronic interference.
I fully understand that there are situations in which cell phones and other e-gadgets are necessary but those are not the situations to which I refer so I thought this article was very interesting as it shows the disturbance just having one within sight causes.
I freely admit that I get really aggravated when I'm in the Express Check-Out line and being held up because the woman in front of me just has to check her phone and have a lengthy conversation about who was the drunkest at the party last night.
The whole social scene/cell phone/e-gadget thing makes me wonder if in the future we could have "e-gadget free zones" similar to today's "smoke-free zones."
What do you think?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

We already have quite zones in train coupés which are thus also cell phone free. Over 20 years ago I also knew coffee-shops which had phone scramblers. So it`s already happening.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I seem to get along fine without a cell phone. I was assigned a cell phone when I was working "Special Investigations" after way too many phone calls from police informants whispering "they know I told.." way too early in the a.m. cured Me of ever "needing" a cell phone, EVER.

Funny but I don't remember driving by a pay phone and seeing a long line wanting to use the phone, so what makes those calls important now?

I was going around the channels and saw a bit of the KonAssians™ and in a scene with 6 people in it, 5 were engaged in their cell phones. I haven't seen it yet, but each Christmas I look forward to the Walmart™ ad where the Mom, Dad and 4 kids are boasting on how much they are 'saving' by having some "Family Plan" ...

Leave it behind on purpose and see how refreshing it is...

namaste

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien

We already have quite zones in train coupés which are thus also cell phone free. Over 20 years ago I also knew coffee-shops which had phone scramblers. So it`s already happening.

I'm not sure where you live but that sort of thing hasn't made it to western Kentucky yet.
I was recently attending a funeral that was interrupted several times by ring tones despite the funeral director requesting that everyone put their devices on silent mode just prior to the start of the service.
Likewise, I was recently in a courtroom where a judge made a lengthy speech ordering people to turn off their devices or he would confiscate them. He had two before the session ended. I have to wonder just how long he can keep them and whether they could be charged with contempt of court.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I live in The Netherlands, we have always been a progressive playground frontrunning with things.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium
I've never owned one nor have any desire to own one. I'm still trying to figure out how to be polite in asking my friends and relatives to leave the things in their vehicle when they come to "visit" with us.
The situation with gadgets reminds me of the days when tv was relatively new. I remember going into houses where the tv was always on and "visiting" had to be done during commercials. I was taught it was rude to leave any sort of distraction going when there were real people with which to interact. I guess it is hard to get over that early childhood training.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Thats funny because as I'm interacting with You/here, I have My wireless headphones awaiting the start to the movie "American Hustle" the t.v. is muted as I was raised in the same family room. Now folks talk during the show and text during the ads which used to be every 15 minutes back in the "good old days" when the channels were 2, 3, 8 and 13 and UHF...

How are the fish biting up that way? The bass here currently have lock-jaw but now that the Ranger™ is fully charged and in the boathouse, tomorrow may just 'pan out' One thing for certain, I won't be disturbed by a phone call...

Tight Lines..

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
My wife and I are like day and night, when it comes to cell phones. I lay mine down and never mess with it, unless someone calls or texts me, or I need to call them. My wife on the other hand, can not sit for 5 minutes without checking her phone. It is the first thing she does when she wakes up. Her eyes open and she reaches for that #@** phone. She's had a car accident because of texting and driving and I suspect that's how my truck got a large dent when she was driving it. She even carries it from room to room, if she's going to be in one place for a while. I just leave mine laying on a table beside my recliner and that's where it stays. Half the time, I leave it at home when I go out. I do however, insist my kids carry theirs when they go somewhere.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

So have You also noticed that when We were younger, We knew someone who knew someone who was "senile" Now that 'someone' is either next door or they're in our house? What has also come forward in this time besides the uptick in dementia? cell phones, microwaves, etc.

"the machines are taking over the world" Sure, crappy diet, folks going about de-hydrated etc. but what is the biggest culprit? The body needs balance and "the machines" compete for the negative ions...

namaste

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
My wife on the other hand, can not sit for 5 minutes without checking her phone.

LOL I see the same thing wherever I go.
I hardly ever use it now (causes headaches!), but If my phone rings or a text comes in while i'm eating or doing whatever I'll just ignore it until I happen to be going near it, then I'll have a look to see who it was. Meanwhile anyone else in the room will look at me and say "How can you just sit there and ignore it".

I forget the exact figures, but a few years back they discovered (uk) that hundreds per year died because of falling down the stairs while rushing to answer their telephones!

Its a tool, I will not be its slave!

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
My wife and I are like day and night, when it comes to cell phones. I lay mine down and never mess with it, unless someone calls or texts me, or I need to call them. My wife on the other hand, can not sit for 5 minutes without checking her phone. It is the first thing she does when she wakes up. Her eyes open and she reaches for that #@** phone. She's had a car accident because of texting and driving and I suspect that's how my truck got a large dent when she was driving it. She even carries it from room to room, if she's going to be in one place for a while. I just leave mine laying on a table beside my recliner and that's where it stays. Half the time, I leave it at home when I go out. I do however, insist my kids carry theirs when they go somewhere.

If your wife is doing that, maybe you should invest in a private investigator. My ex wife was like that with her phone, then found out its because she was sexting another man

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien

I live in The Netherlands, we have always been a progressive playground frontrunning with things.

Ah, yes. I had hoped to visit your fair country at one time. Friends tell me it is awesome. Sadly, until I come into enough money to be able to fly private I won't be doing any travel by air.
We can only hope that the merchants in our area are as frontrunning in the near future.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

Thats funny because as I'm interacting with You/here, I have My wireless headphones awaiting the start to the movie "American Hustle" the t.v. is muted as I was raised in the same family room. Now folks talk during the show and text during the ads which used to be every 15 minutes back in the "good old days" when the channels were 2, 3, 8 and 13 and UHF...

How are the fish biting up that way? The bass here currently have lock-jaw but now that the Ranger™ is fully charged and in the boathouse, tomorrow may just 'pan out' One thing for certain, I won't be disturbed by a phone call...

Tight Lines..

Funny thing---I don't have a tv, at least not one that is hooked up to anything except Netflix. I didn't grow up with one in the house and only had one in the house for a few years. Twenty-three years ago we swore off commercial tv when we discovered it was going to cost an arm and leg to get cable run to our remote location. We began putting aside what the tv would have cost and have had some mighty fine vacations out of that fund!
Don't know about the fish. All the fellows I know who fish are in the woods trying to sneak up on a deer to finish filling the freezer. I'm pretty sure they have their cell phones turned off but I wouldn't be surprised to hear of some of the young 'uns missing a shot because they "forgot" to turn it off.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64
I feel for ya! I've watched couples at bars and restaurants with one attempting to be sociable and human while the other can't put down the device. It is sad.
I'll freely admit to being "addicted" to having a phone but mine is a landline and has an answering machine. When my husband retired he wanted to take it out but I vetoed the idea since I do like to talk with friends in far places from time to time. If I am entertaining guests the answering machine gets the call.
I do understand parents who want their children to carry the phones in case of emergency, especially when the children are still residents of the household.
What I don't understand is why offspring feel the need to be rude and arrogant if the parent has made a conscious decision not to be leashed by such devices. Just last week I heard a woman going off on her father because she "needed" to get in touch with him while he was doing outdoor work and had left his cellphone indoors. "Couldn't you leave me a message?" was met with her slamming out of the house. Turns out she wanted him to change his plans on her account---plans for next week's Christmas party. She couldn't wait for the couple of hours it would have taken him to get inside and reply to her message. I honestly felt like slapping her face because she sounded like someone in the midst of the "Terrible Twos" with her little tantrum.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I have to explain to people that I'm not "attached" to my phone, in case they don't get instant replies. Otherwise, I could not care less if someone uses their phone in my presence.

As far as in the court, the judge can't take your phone without "due process".

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

I know people who are on call 24/7. They can get their calls for work at any time of the day. Each one of these people I know will have a severe anxiety attack if they lose their phone for even 10 minutes. They sleep with the phone not more than 2 feet from their heads, so as to wake up if they get a call when they are asleep.

I will say it does have a negative effect on their lives. I have seen these people wanting to go buy dinner at the store, and not leaving in time to get to the store before it closed, because the damned phone wasn't at their hip. All I can say is that there needs to be something better. Any ideas ATS?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Why only wanting to fly private ?

We have a good deal of tourists every year, about 11 million, for a country with 17 million it`s a good amount and a lot can speak decent English which is also handy. I hardly read people who haven`t enjoyed a visit to the Netherlands.

And you might also try to find your own phone scrambler so no one can phone at your house anymore.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Also, I turn off my ringer overnight. The last thing I want to wake up to is someone yacking in my ear. I don't pick up for unknown numbers either.....people can just send a text if the know me.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   

If someone wants to talk to me that bad and I'm out of the house, they know where I live. They can't claim it's all that urgent, if they're not willing to take the time to drive to my house, instead of calling me every 5 minutes.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: WP4YT

Works for me. She gets to pay for the divorce and I get the house and kids, while she gets a big boot in the a$$, right out the door. Child support should be quite a nice chunk of change on her salary.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join