It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sydney cafe being held up now isis flag in window

page: 53
<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

im talking about why one of the hostages didnt make a move.
it was 1 guy with 1 shotgun.

in 16 hours i would think that someone could have grabbed that gun

With all due respect, you have no idea what was going on inside that cafe. Macho fantasies are just that.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Not much was said, IMO. IIRC:

17 hostages at first.

The police thought it was the right time to enter to prevent more deaths, but he stalled a little before saying that they had heard the gunshots before, so it didn't seem very certain.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas

Indeed

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
What sad day for the innocents .
People who don't have nothing to do with any wars going on.
People who don't know what political decisions are made .
People who probably disgusted from al the war mongering political agenda's .
People who just maybe walked away from all the negative media on televisions.
People who just wanted to have a great night out to forget all the misery going on in the world.

Those people have been hunted down by fanatics who think they can scare us off.
The only thing those fanatics have created is more hatred in the name of religion.
Who are those that think that what they are doing is justified in the name of God .

I'm with all those who lost their loved ones today .. let we stop this nonsense .stop all wars retrieve all soldiers home. Because that's the only way to stop this fears .. We the citizens of the world deserve that . We citizens are only be played out by politicians.

Who make money of our fears...

This is not us doing that to you...

Keep the peace..
edit on 0b02America/ChicagoMon, 15 Dec 2014 13:14:02 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoMon, 15 Dec 2014 13:14:02 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Surely a number of politicians will use this event.

I live in the states. Here we're conditioned to believe that every thing is a direct attack on our "interests" no matter how far away they are.

As an aside, I also note the people that apologize the most for the few deaths here and there as a result of "terror" attacks are the ones clamoring loudest to bomb another nation to dust.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

It's easy to sit in the safety of your home and question why nobody did anything, wonder why no one tried to take this guy down. However, he had a shotgun, a backpack strapped to his body and the hostages believed he had a bomb. I would imagine those hostages were in complete and utter shock and in fear for their lives and the lives of those (the other hostages) around them.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I remember a story a few years ago of a few guys that brought a country to its knees with box cutters, so the story goes. Not trying to compair the two, but when one is faced with self preservation there is no telling what one will do. Sit tight and hope for the best or rush (let's roll) and get more killed. Its hard to say what anyone can or will do when at their limits.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul

originally posted by: seeker1963
a reply to: my1percent

How did this happen?

Aren't firearms illegal in Australia?????

No not at all.

There are more restrictions than in the US, but there's plenty of legally owned guns - although the NRA might like you to believe otherwise.
Laws will not protect citizens against criminals or terrorists that want guns, they will get them regardless.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Oh, but it will work, in their dystopian plans for the future, technological dictatorship in the guise of benevolence.

The micromanagement and control of all facets of society.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Well that guy had a pump action shotgun.

Depending on the model carries 5 to 9 rounds.

That's still LEGAL even by the most draconian gun control laws.

They don't stop events like that cafe.

They only create victims,

ETA: Given the guy's criminal history it was already illegal for him to have one.
edit on 15-12-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Leonidas

With all due respect, you have no idea what was going on inside that cafe. Macho fantasies are just that.

You are both actually correct.

Most likely the perpetrator profiled the cafe and saw that everyone in there was an easy target, so he took advantage of the situation.

And the other problem is that he may have eluded to having a bomb, so that may have deterred people from challenging him directly.

Fight or flight responses are surprising went confronted with a life or death situation.

There was an incident here in the Detroit area a few years back, where a fool tried to rob a local bar at gunpoint. Unfortunately he was beat within an inch of his life, then arrested, because the bar he tried to rob was a local after hours bar for LEO's.

If enough people have the guts, can remain calm, and get the drop on the situation, then yes the average joe can make a difference.

edit on 15-12-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent

I remember a story a few years ago of a few guys that brought a country to its knees with box cutters, so the story goes. Not trying to compair the two, but when one is faced with self preservation there is no telling what one will do. Sit tight and hope for the best or rush (let's roll) and get more killed. Its hard to say what anyone can or will do when at their limits.

The smartest ones waited for their best opportunity to escape, and did.

Everyone's a tough guy, and hero on the internet.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
I just read an article involving a man who had purchased a coffee at the shop, and actually bumped into the gunman on his way down the street...the only thing is, the customer saw two others with the man. That means that there are probably three gunmen if the man is to be believed.
goo.gl...

And down the memory hole the other two go!
edit on 15-12-2014 by starviego because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Just woke up to read what happened to the hostages.

That is so very sad.

I haven't read all the details yet, but goddamn it sounds like this psycho was given way too many chances after all the crap he has done!!

The poor families of the deceased....

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Here is another article.

WATCH the video:

townhall.com... ault-n1932094

Please Australians, PLEASE. Don't follow Americas lead,and call this 'work place violence'.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Different incident, not relevant

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
his former lawyer interview live is interesting insight to him
today.ninemsn.com.au...

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

He started to nodd off to sleep, 5 hostages escaped, he woke up started to shoot, police enacted EAP, cross fire male hostage was killed, gunman was killed, female hostage died of a heart attack on her way to hospital..

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Just watched the video of the takedown. Well done boys

And to whomever asked about them tossing stunners after making entry: no, that would not have stunned the team that was inside. They train with them and know how to protect themselves from the effects. The longer the subject is disoriented and confused, the better for everybody. Trade secrets my son

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I hope that some massive changes come about from this such as;

The daily telegraph needs to have its publication licence removed - we don't need a stupid piece of sensationlist crap in our lives.

The people involved in letting this guy out on bail need to be sacked.

The legislation for political asylum needs to be massively changed.

Australia is a fantastic country and full of people from every walk of life which I love but anyone with a violent history wanting asylum in Australia....sorry no way.

new topics

top topics

<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join