It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sydney cafe being held up now isis flag in window

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
All air space is closed and mobile phones cut.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Cambot

Well that's my take on it too.

This isn't a grand anti-establishment, anti-west statement, this is a "nobody is safe" statement.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
This is horrific, the poor people inside of the store must be so scared.

Hopefully there is a resulution that allows all hostages to walk away unharmed.

CNN is reporting air traffic over Sydney is closed.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: bellagirl

Something to think about is that they probably shut down cell and wi-fi in the area.

Really hope everyone walks out safe.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: LiveForever8

It could also be retaliation because Australia police arrested a Sydney man on terrorism financing charges today.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

i get what you are saying but middle eastern terrorists are generally in the middle east....

and what if average ausie joe decided to get an isis looking flag go and get some hostages and make it public does that make joe a ISIS terrorist ?...or just some nutcase looking for attention....it is a thin line i guess

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: sueloujo

Yeah, possibly.

They seem a bit too organised for it to be a reactionary attack.

All pure speculation of course.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Sydney radio host broadcasting that hostage takers claim to have devices all over City, making demands to talk to Australian Prime Minister

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Reports stating that the airspace above Sydney has not been closed.

More information an updates here:

www.smh.com.au...

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I just don't get what this even accomplishes...

Senseless act, hope those inside can get out alive.

And since this is ATS, if this really is ISIS, why would they do something in Aussie?
Thought it was death to americans?
edit on thSun, 14 Dec 2014 18:26:29 -0600America/Chicago1220142980 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

link   
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the flag is not that of Islamic State, but rather a flag representing general faith in Islam.

According the the Age;

www.theage.com.au...

From national security correspondent David Wroe: "The flag being shown in the window is not an Islamic State flag, nor one for the other best-known jihadist group Jabhat al-Nusra.

Rather, it appears to be a Shahada flag, which represents a general expression of faith in Islam, though has been co-opted by various jihadist groups.

Greg Barton, a terrorism expert from Monash University, says that "getting hold of an (Islamic State) flag would be quite difficult, and people will make do with what they have got". That means it doesn't help confirm or rule out that the hostage-takers' affiliation is with Islamic State or any other group."

link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Fear.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LiveForever8
a reply to: Cambot

Well that's my take on it too.

This isn't a grand anti-establishment, anti-west statement, this is a "nobody is safe" statement.

That is what many people are ignoring.

From Canada to the UK, to Austrailia to US.

Terrorism is a REAL threat to everyone.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

Ok it may not be an is flag , many posts about this , but it does fall in the same category so I may have got the details wrong yeah.
1%

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Did someone mention Burgers????

Hostage taker,, carrying backpack.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
I just don't get what this even accomplishes...

Senseless act, hope those inside can get out alive.

And since this is ATS, if this really is ISIS, why would they do something in Aussie?
Thought it was death to americans?

Fear, terror...

I'm not sure if this would be ISIS' doing, but it may be a lone wolf actor not entirely associated with them. They would do something like this in Australia because Australia is seen as a close ally of the USA. We've been bombing ISIS in Iraq as of late, too.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

A lot of them have deemed anyone who doesn't live their lifestyle to be enemies. It doesn't matter what country you're from or where you're residing, it's a war on culture, religion and the way billions conduct their lives.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: LiveForever8
I find it interesting that considering all of the banks and federal buildings in that area these terrorists chose a chocolate shop as their target.

I don't. If there's two hostage takers, they're going to target whatever in the area has the weakest security. Don't know if there are armed guards/police around or inside the banks and other federal buildings, but they would pick somewhere in the area they want to hit that gives them a good chance of getting inside.

With only two hostage takers, their odds of fighting their way into a federal building or bank and being able to take hostages is heavily reduced.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I don't think it matters whether the flag is an ISIS one or not. The fact is that the flag seems to be Shahada flag, and that given the current situation, we can infer that the hostage-taker is of an extremist Muslim mindset, who is co-opting the flag and using it in a political statement of fear.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I see the end to this is the hostage takers all don't make it out alive and we never know the true motives and is spun and spun to feed the machine.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join