It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sydney cafe being held up now isis flag in window

page: 35
<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   
New Police conference:

- Incident started at 9:44 AM

- Incident has progresses to a negotiation stage whereby the NSW police are talking to the gunman.

- 5 people have emerged from the cafe.

- They have access to all NSW police force resources.

- Police have been in contact throughout the day with the gunman.

Overall, there isn't much new information. The ABC is stating that it seems clearer that there is one gunman now (instead of 2), as the police have confirmed that they have been in contact with him.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Yep, only break-action shotguns are permitted. Pump-action and semi-auto are restricted to government entities. The terrorist has a pump-action.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul

originally posted by: seeker1963
a reply to: my1percent

How did this happen?

Aren't firearms illegal in Australia?????

no -No not at all.ere are more restrictions than in the US, but there's plenty of legally owned guns - although the NRA might like you to believe otherwise.

Great!

Thanks for answering my question!

Gun control doesn't work!

If you actually take the time to look at the link. The only firearms the average person MIGHT have is a Single Shot Rifle or maybe a Shotgun if 'genuine need' is demonstrated. That's like saying you can get a concealed carry permit in DC. Sure, there are laws on the books, but first you have to become best friends with the ridiculously anti-gun Sheriff so she can approve of your 'reason' for wanting one, then go through a bunch of ridiculous classes, register your ammunition, and pay egregious fees.

The 5 percent of Australians that have a chance to get weapons are probably the ones who live in the outback, not downtown Sydney.

What I want to make sure of is that when the terrorist is captured (assuming he doesn't suicide himself) he is given tea to calm his nerves, coddled, given a nice fluffy prison bed and told it's not his fault. They better not yell at him either like those evil British, and make sure a door doesn't close to loudly as to startle him like those evil British did!

Sorry, but this is rubbish. Where did you get this "single shot" rule from? I can tell you thats not true. I can also tell you plenty of people own firearms in Australian cities without having to "prove their need". I'm also interested where you got this "5% of Australians" figure from. If thats the case, that whole 5% must live in my area...

Please try to understand what you are talking about before you post.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Highground
a reply to: pheonix358

Yep, only break-action shotguns are permitted. Pump-action and semi-auto are restricted to government entities. The terrorist has a pump-action.

And also available to those who can "prove their need". There's plenty of farmers around who own them. it's not hard to do. I'd almost go out on a limb here and say if this weasel does have a 12G pumper, it's been stolen from a rural area. It'd be easier to steal one than try to source one via other, nefarious means.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: real_one

Not sure if anyone replied. AU armed forces held a drill about terrorism 6 weeks ago with a cafe scenario as well as this location (Martin Place) being a list of targets of possible terrorism when the PM rose their alert recently.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: lifecitizen
a reply to: Wookiep

Thanks. They just mentioned the bomb threat but are saying there's lots of rumours about demands.

She didn't seem to think the bomb threat was real.. She acknowledged the threat, but just said they are vigilant and alert.. but it just seemed like the police don't think there are..

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: KaDeCo

I'm not claiming false flag in the non literal sense (since we've seen it in the literal!), but I do find that interesting. We've seen this kind of thing happen a lot in the U.S. before big events like this.. and quite a lot, and it's freaking weird.
edit on 15-12-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: KaDeCo
a reply to: real_one

Not sure if anyone replied. AU armed forces held a drill about terrorism 6 weeks ago with a cafe scenario as well as this location (Martin Place) being a list of targets of possible terrorism when the PM rose their alert recently.

That was the Australian Defence Force training in Brisbane in preparation for the G20. This is being dealt with by the New South Wales Police in Sydney. Different cities, different states, different elements dealing with the crisis.

Training on a cafe is also a sound idea, considering Martin Place was revealed as a potential terrorist target in raids a couple of months ago.
edit on 15-12-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Martin Place was listed as a possible location because it is prominent with a lot of potential targets.

Sydney was pretty calm today considering what has been happening, aside from the exclusion zone and extra security around (ie many buildings locked up and only allowed security pass holders in) people have been going about their business. I work at the edge of the exclusion zone and there was just concern for the people being held.

If true that he wants an ISIS flag it is concerning, he chose this cafe because it is both in a prominent location and because it is right opposite a TV studio, guaranteeing lots of media attention.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Sydney siders pretty calm, a lot of workers left CBD early, transport all working just got the train myself - train is not stopping at Martin Place where Lindt is based. Martin place is in central business district plus has loads of shops, cafes etc off it. No relation to Martians that I am aware of

was one of other news networks (10/9/7) that said they were called by 2 female hysterical hostages in the cafe with demands that terrorist wanted an isis flag bought down and also to talk to PM. they also said 2 explosives in building and 2 more around Sydney CBD.

Lindt building located opposite channel 7 news, and in close proximity to a number of the big banks including the RBA (Reserve Bank of Australia). That Lindt building is also very solid (old bank?) apart from glass door entrance would be a tough one to get into if the terrorists were bunkered down out back behind counter etc

TAG East would be covering (the guys in tactical gear outside bank) as the Aussie SAS are based over in Perth

watch live stream
www.abc.net.au...

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I want to stay up and follow like I did the Boston event, but can't this time. Partly because of the annoyance of seeing so many people there taking this like some party, hanging out in the streets and taking selfies. Horrible.

Hoping and praying I wake up and read that nothing major happened and hostages and the rest of Sydney is safe.

link   
a reply to: seeker1963

False. Gun control DOES work and the Australian example proves it.

You do, however, need to define what it means to have a 'working' gun control regime.

If you mean zero gun deaths, ever, then you are obviously going to fail - it is ridiculous. However, in Australia, there was one obvious goal and several desirous side effects that were targeted.

In Australia, the primary motivation was to end mass murder sprees like Port Arthur and several other incidents in previous years. This was accomplished by removing large numbers of automatic weapons from the civilian population via voluntary destruction and buy backs. It has worked - "In the decade prior to the buyback, there was an average of one mass shooting (five or more victims) every year. In the decade after the buyback, there were no mass shootings." ( Andrew Leigh: Time Magazine - This Country Proves That National Gun Buybacks Reduce Mass Shootings)

Secondary effects include reduced gun-related deaths due to accidents and suicides and again, that has worked spectacularly.

From the same article:

In the decade and a half since the Australian gun buyback, the number of firearms per person has stayed constant, and gun deaths have remained thankfully low.

So Australians still own guns, just like they always have, but fewer people are being killed.

Proof positive that gun control works - when you get the right gun control regime in place.

edit on 15/12/2014 by rnaa because: fix link

edit on 15/12/2014 by rnaa because: fix markup

link   
The police have been urging the media not to release the perpetrators demands. So if there is a low amount of coverage or sources for something, that is the reason.

Also he is using social media as a strategy. He's been forcing hostages to type his demands online, and to speak to news sources
edit on 15-12-2014 by Kuroodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: lifecitizen
Ive been watching ABC24 and there has been no mention of a request for an ISIS flag or anything about a bomb, where are you getting this info?
No mention in the online news either.

Five people have got out or been let out.
well there is your first mistake....anything involving the abc.
edit on 15-12-2014 by bellagirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: ManiShuck

Hoping and praying I wake up and read that nothing major happened and hostages and the rest of Sydney is safe.

I'll bet $20 that what you hope for ends up being the case. If this was going to be a brutal attack, I believe it would have happened by now. I could be wrong, but it's my gut feeling. Sleep well!

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManiShuck
I want to stay up and follow like I did the Boston event, but can't this time. Partly because of the annoyance of seeing so many people there taking this like some party, hanging out in the streets and taking selfies. Horrible.

thats crap. its simply not a party atmosphere and its not happening. FALSE REPORTING.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

No idea, I just saw someone ask if there were drills going on in the area at the time. I am unsure of at this exact time but am aware of the one 6 weeks ago. And at a cafe. That bugs me. To further the intrigue this chocolate cafe is attached to the same block as the courthouse and right next door to AU Banking Reserve - though not sure if that's like the US's Fed. Reserve.

Same man cites that this exact location was the location of a drill a year ago. (To date? No clue)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: rnaa
a reply to: seeker1963

False. Gun control DOES work and the Australian example proves it.

You do, however, need to define what it means to have a 'working' gun control regime.

If you mean zero gun deaths, ever, then you are obviously going to fail - it is ridiculous. However, in Australia, there was one obvious goal and several desirous side effects that were targeted.

In Australia, the primary motivation was to end mass murder sprees like Port Arthur and several other incidents in previous years. This was accomplished by removing large numbers of automatic weapons from the civilian population via voluntary destruction and buy backs. It has worked - "In the decade prior to the buyback, there was an average of one mass shooting (five or more victims) every year. In the decade after the buyback, there were no mass shootings." ( Andrew Leigh: Time Magazine - This Country Proves That National Gun Buybacks Reduce Mass Shootings)

Secondary effects include reduced gun-related deaths due to accidents and suicides and again, that has worked spectacularly.

From the same article:

In the decade and a half since the Australian gun buyback, the number of firearms per person has stayed constant, and gun deaths have remained thankfully low.

So Australians still own guns, just like they always have, but fewer people are being killed.

Proof positive that gun control works - when you get the right gun control regime in place.

Listen to this person. They know what they are talking about.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: KaDeCo

Yes it is. Its the Reserve Bank of Australia. It is next door. The Commonwealth Bank of Australia is right across the road along with the Westpac Bank right across the road.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital

originally posted by: Neocrusader
And we do or support the same and worse on a grander scale daily
Get over yourselves, in fact your ignorance is partly to blame ...YES ALL OF YOU

The actions of our governments and our enemies do not represent the actions of people underneath them.

Innocent people shouldn't have to put up with this #, just because our governments invade foreign lands and engage in questionable behaviour.

Exactly. Western leaders do not listen to the cries of their people. They just act. The general populace are then attacked, targeted and killed.

While in the holy lands, the leaders do not care, and it is the general populace who are rallied by extremism to attack, target and kill.

new topics

top topics

<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join