It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sydney cafe being held up now isis flag in window

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Indeed!

My wife's family are muslim and they are very upset about this too. Just hope this gets resolved soon and it's just some nutter acting alone rather than escalate into people getting killed!

Hmm... Cop cars blazing around my work now...it's been an interesting day....

edit on 14/12/14 by Cruff because: Boo

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I think some of the rivalry stems from the fact that South Australias capital city Adelaide once succeeded in getting a round of the Formula 1 racing season held there. Apparently there were some underhanded / money shifting hands methods used to steal it from there and host it in Melbourne (Victorias capital city). I know that was going on when I was there and it did make a fair few people upset. other than that, there's nothing to differentiate one state or territory from the other really. People are people, wherever they live.

I just found out that my cousin has managed to flee the area. She was there when this all occurred and had just been in the Lindt shop prior to it being taken over. It's scary not being able to contact people when this sort of thing occurs. She lives a short walk from these shops.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The Grand Mufti of Australia has condemned the hostage incident and the criminal(s) involved, saying that he and the Islamic councils stand firm with the community on the matter.

Live updates here:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
a reply to: Walsh

The point is subjective, and open to interpretation, like much of Islamic scriptures.

Can't see it, can't help you.

What ? its not open for any interpretation ? it means what it means .... their is no god but god simple as that ...not sure what your getting at

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
So we're 6 hours in now and no contact inside.
We still dont know if its 1 person or 2.
Apparently one of the hostages slid her finger across her throat as a signal, but no one knows exactly what it means.

Personally, If they are premeditated enough to make banners, then I do not believe they intent to give up and go to prison.

Apparently there were early morning raids before this happened, so maybe those raids prompted it to occur today?

What im curious about, is the budget. Why hasnt it been released yet... all very convenient timing.

link   
Sources inside Westpac at Martin Place have told Fairfax Media that they have been told they might need to stay overnight in their offices.

Sounds like it might be a good time for one of those APCs...

But seriously, you really can't safely evacuate?

link   

originally posted by: Cruff
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Indeed!

My wife's family are muslim and they are very upset about this too. Just hope this gets resolved soon and it's just some nutter acting alone rather than escalate into people getting killed!

Hmm... Cop cars blazing around my work now...it's been an interesting day....

Me too. At the moment, it looks like it might be a nut-job acting alone. Of course, think of Sandy Hook, all the other school shootings, and theatre shootings in the U.S. A single nut-job shooter can cause so much damage and pain.

I hope it is resolved soon.

link   
a reply to: TRiPWiRE

Wow how scary for your cousin! And you! Considering she lives close by has she been told to evacuate from the area where her house is or just that area where the lindt cafe is? I keep reading conflicting stuff when it comes to the evacuation situation happening in the CBD.

Sorry for going off topic previously Mods

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I just found out that my cousin has managed to flee the area. She was there when this all occurred and had just been in the Lindt shop prior to it being taken over. It's scary not being able to contact people when this sort of thing occurs. She lives a short walk from these shops.

So glad to hear it!

link   
a reply to: my1percent

Why does everyone keep saying lets pray ? I thought there was no God, until trouble comes that is.

Forget praying lets actually do something productive and take care of this problem once and for all. Why is the West so timid, Extremists have declared war on us, lets finish them off, we have the weaponry, soldiers and tech to destroy these guys in a single day..
edit on 14/12/1414 by Emerald53 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
The Grand Mufti of Australia has condemned the hostage incident and the criminal(s) involved, saying that he and the Islamic councils stand firm with the community on the matter.

Live updates here:

www.youtube.com...

this has been the position of much of Muslim Umma (nation) this has been our stance for a long time . ... their is no room for Extremist in Islam . period
edit on 14-12-2014 by Walsh because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-12-2014 by Walsh because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Here's a live news stream from Australia

www.abc.net.au...

They've been showing some briefings and conferences.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Really guys? Talk about sensationalism.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
More information from Ray Hadley, who claims to have spoken to hostages inside the cafe. It is interesting to note that he said that he cannot meet the demands of, nor negotiate with people 'purporting to be from Islamic State'.

I would take all this with a grain of salt, but it is interesting information nonetheless:

Sydney radio host Ray Hadley claims he had three conversations with a terrified hostage inside the Sydney cafe where more than a dozen people are held prisoner by a gunman.

The 2GB talkback host - who has stayed on air all day in the wake of the catastrophe - told listeners he spoke to a young man off air and he told him some hostages have fallen ill.

'There are some people who are not well,' Hadley said. 'They've been in there for five hours. They're distraught.

'I can hear the person in the background issuing instructions. One person is quite ill [and) needs medical attention.'

Hadley said he was not in a position to accede to the hostage-taker's demands.

'There are requests being made I can't provide,' he said. 'I'm aware of the same sort of phone calls going to the ABC. They can't respond to them.

'The media can't play a role in negotiating with people purporting to be from Islamic State holding hostages in a cafe in Sydney.'

www.dailymail.co.uk... ttention.html

link   

looking for support for the war machine....gotta have the public backing to go after terrorists in the ME

link   

Yeah that's to be expected really.

If the media doesn't have a story they go into overkill to make one.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Emerald53

How do you target all of them?

Just any one we think is involved? It's not like they all wear uniforms.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Welcome to Australia's media...Murdoch, the same guy who owns Fox News, owns media outlets with the most media coverage in the country...this is what one gets as a result.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I'd like to think I'd fight back. But what if you were told that disobeying would cause a huge explosion that would destroy the whole city block? Maybe one jihadist has a deadman switch in his hand like Miles Dyson in Terminator2, when they are in the Cyberdyne Syatems HQ. But then you'd have to rationalize that, if they did have explosives, they will use them anyway no matter what, eventually, and that you are probably not going to make it out of this alive anyway. Might as well go down fighting.

But I suppose for the average person, crowd mentality would kick in, and they would not do anything unless someone else does it first, but nobody will do it first unless someone else initiates it, and so on. Chances are, the one hero would charge and be shot and killed with nobody else moving a muscle. Crowd mentality means you do what the crowd does, not what one single person is doing... I guess you'd need a few heroes to inspire the rest.

What will this lead to? What's going to happen? How long will this go on? Days? Did they choose the location because it has enough food and water to last a few days maybe? Has the city cut off water and electricity? Would that be a good or bad idea? I read that some jihadist called somewhere demanding to speak to the president of australia, is this true?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shana91aus

Wow how scary for your cousin! And you! Considering she lives close by has she been told to evacuate from the area where her house is or just that area where the lindt cafe is? I keep reading conflicting stuff when it comes to the evacuation situation happening in the CBD.

She was told to leave the area but was already pretty much outside the section being cordoned off by Police. She's not going back to her house and instead, will stay with friends in outer Sydney. She did say that a Policeman told her to get out of here quickly as they suspected, but could not confirm explosives in the vicinity. My other cousin (her sister), works nearby and is remaining at work until they receive notification of what to do next.

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join