It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photographer Salgado tells AFP 'planet near extinction'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Everyone's to blame but don't think corporations and big industry aren't responsible for the practices that are hurting the planet.

My problem is your "us vs. them" mentality. We are all in the same boat. Your claim that it is the fault of "them" is specious. If it wasn't for "us", "they" couldn't have done anything. And as long as it's seen as "us vs. them", nothing will change.

edit on 12/14/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

There's a solution? Where?

certainly not here

lima climate "agreement"

i doubt their going to ban the oil industry and all its derivative companies ,and what body exists to do that ? a new one of some sort?

but in my eyes ,that's the only way to even begin the slowing down the warming process,

to reverse it .. or to get back on the natural cycle ... if there is such a thing... I doubt that's even possible now

funbox

edit on 14-12-2014 by funbox because: slippery wolves inflate to tremedous proportions

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

If we're all human beings, some are creating the demand, others are providing it through cutthroat tactics it's not an us vs them mentality. And who is "them"? Corporations and big industry are made up of people. Now I understand you're very blunt but have all the facts about a person's views on the topic before laying judgement.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: funbox
It's human nature not to do anything until it's absolutely necessary. The trouble is, that point was probably reached decades ago. The problem is, the problem wasn't readily apparent or acknowledged. The trouble is, human nature makes us more concerned about now and what it means for me.

It is too late to stop the warming but I think that slowing it could be accomplished. But this isn't just about warming, though that is the primary concern on a global scale. The destruction of the environment is ongoing on a regional basis as well.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

If we're all human beings, some are creating the demand

So we're just too stupid? We're zombies who will buy what we are told to buy?
Speak for yourself.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Anything but insults? If you can't discuss something without insulting other members it's sad. Your word is far from holy and it does not have more value than anyone else's. Implying I'm a zombie because I disagree with you is a cop out.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Implying I'm a zombie because I disagree with you is a cop out.

It was not because you disagree with me.
It is because you said that we are victims of marketing. We aren't, we are victims of our own choices and actions. Long past time "we" wised up.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

You can't sit here and say advertisements have no effect on people. Materialism is glammed up so people buy into it. We have choices, like ignoring the hype but given how most demand more and more, the choices have been predetermined.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

You can't sit here and say advertisements have no effect on people.
I didn't.

We have choices, like ignoring the hype but given how most demand more and more, the choices have been predetermined.
So it's demanding "more and more" that's the problem? I agree. Who's demanding it? Is it "them?"

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Obviously not them. Really now, we agreed the people demand it but the corps supply it. What's the point here?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

What's the point here?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

And what is that supposed to be? You saying my pov was a cop out? Listen Phage, I'm not fooled and I'm not going to sit here and let your bait me for fun. Now you may sit back and consider it a victory, but it's one less person who will not be part of your game. Have a nice one.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
It all comes down to the difference between 'wants' and 'needs'.

What we all 'need' is potable water, clean air and fertile soil in order to be able to live.

Beyond that it is all 'wants' and it is those 'wants' that drive the economies of the countries deemed '1st World'... wanting to build a better system than to have to rely only on 'needs'. The only problem with that is a burgeoning world population and an exponential rise in the popularity of 'wants'.

At some point we could very well destroy what we need in order to satisfy all that we 'want'.
edit on 14/12/14 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Big industry and politics exploited human needs for profit and now the planet's paying for it.

Needs? Or wants? Big industry and politics provided things that people want.

But go ahead, blame "them". If it makes you feel better. But it won't do much else.

So do crack dealers. Big business isn't on a level playing field. They own goverment. Don't say vote different cause there isn't an alternative.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3u40r15m
I dont think so.... And the water shortages are due to no rain...

Wow! That should win a prize for an understatement.
Can we change that to say not enough rain for too many people?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

And what is that supposed to be?
You asked what my point was. I reminded you because you seemed to have forgotten.
You started out blaming "them" for the state of the world. My point is that "them" is "us."

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: gort51
Im sure he has concerns, like the rest of us.

So he is 70 years old, and has spent 8 years compiling this photographic record....
Did he help any of these starving people? Give them money or food?
How did he travel the World? By canoe? or by a lovely jet plane in first class.

Does he know his camera equipment is made in a Factory (shock, horror) probably by slave labour wage wise (shock horror again), and made from resources dug out of the ground? Noooooooo.!

I think what he is referring to, is more indicative of human overpopulation and exploitation of the Earth for greed.

Im sure all the Orangutans, tigers, sharks etc etc all agree that greedy life form, the hairless ape...needs to be reeled in a little...before there is noone else left on Earth

Why have'nt the subterraneans done something by now. (instead of just flying their UFOs around)

I'll be that he flies on Al Gore's jet.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

You are being intellectually dishonest with this conversation, you are not acknowledging what is beyond our control, like politicians ignoring voters initiatives in DC, the massive oil lobbying industry to keep renewable energies too expensive. You would like to lay the blame at the feet of the people, but history shows us that there has been a massive effort to steer our civilization to where it is. They have used false flags, economic manipulation, religion, chemicals in the water, food, and medicine, you name it they have done it. Oh btw I know how you feel about all the things I just listed, so you don't have to respond to that.

No doubt you can find something super smart to respond with to show my ignorance to something I just said, but thankfully people that have been on these boards for a while can see through someone with an agenda.

edit on 14-12-2014 by jaws1975 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: funbox
It's human nature not to do anything until it's absolutely necessary. The trouble is, that point was probably reached decades ago. The problem is, the problem wasn't readily apparent or acknowledged. The trouble is, human nature makes us more concerned about now and what it means for me.

I disagree , they were quick enough to ban cfc's , fridges got hit , and the ozone layer recovered.
petroleum , its a tough one to lose for some select people, what would they sell us ,that they control as a replacement? that would run the massive population of vehicles on this planet

I think the scientific community has been warning us since the eighty's , the cats fitted to cars were never enough , but then elements of the scientific community are just as human as us all , I wonder how many scientific projects are funded by big oil? enough I think to buy huge amounts of silence, and to instil a lot of ignorance in world populaces

always makes me think that drilling the oil out of the hottest places in the world is is like running an engine with no oil , where is all that geothermal heat now being absorbed? not in a great underground lakes of oil ..hmmm

funbox

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican
a reply to: magnetik

Hey, the brainiacs can pic apart your post all they want, but I understood EXACTLY what you meant.

Like for example: many "savage, uncivilized" cultures only hunted animals for food. Not for sport. And a few left still do.

The bottom line is we cannot keep going the way we have been.

It's a difficult subject, but just how rampant are human beings? or is it just a percentage. How mad is science or how mad are scientists? How mad is religion, or how mad are the religious or not? Et Al.
Thing is, for me when I was a tot at Christmas, the main thing I wanted was to see Father Christmas, and he came to the house, my body heat probably contributed to a localised global warming. See, it happens all the time. saint:

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join