It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian jet in near collision with airliner near Sweden....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

Russian subs off the coast being hunted by the Swedish navy, now this.....
I think the Ukraine war is set to bring in some peripherals should this kind of action persist.......
Ex Cath.....has been keeping us posted, but nobody seems to be listening but russophiles.....

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I get the reasons behind turning off the transponder, but turning them off and staying at altitude with commercial flights with it off is stupid and dangerous.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I get the reasons behind turning off the transponder, but turning them off and staying at altitude with commercial flights with it off is stupid and dangerous.

Just to play devils advocate here, but is there any way the pilot turned it off by mistake?

Although I seriously doubt he did, could it be a possibility?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Ex Cath.....has been keeping us posted, but nobody seems to be listening but russophiles.....

I would rather be considered a Putinphile as he is the one most have a problem with not the Russian people themselves.

And I almost said Putiphile...

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Some of them you have to pull the switch out to move it. Some are just a wafer switch. Without knowing for sure the type of aircraft and the type of switch involved I can't say for certain, but it is theoretically possible. Incredibly unlikely, but theoretically possible.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Didn't this happen a month ago? Seems old news, don't know why its up again or did this just happen today? Last time it was a bigger Russian surveillance plane that had a near miss of a commercial air liner.
edit on 14-12-2014 by Patriotsrevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Patriotsrevenge

The article was published today and said it happened Friday. There was an incident involving Russian fighters and a Swiss (I think it was Swiss) ELINT aircraft a month or two ago but that was a different incident.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

A Russian military jet nearly collided with a commercial passenger airplane in international airspace near southern Sweden on Friday,

Nearly collided, near Sweden, nearly causing a crash and fatalities, nearly like MH17 which the Russians are nearly blamed again for every new "incident".

There was no collision, nor was their any intent to cause one. The traffic controllers prevented it. Because it was a "Russian" jet though, nearly everyone overreacts to it.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It has nothing to do with it being a Russian aircraft. It was a flat STUPID thing to do. I don't give rats ass if they were Russian, American, or Martian. You don't turn off your transponder and fly around commercial aircraft. Period.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Because it was a "Russian" jet though, nearly everyone overreacts to it.

No, pretty sure this would have been the same reaction had it been someone other than Russia, but most know better than to turn the transponder off flying in commercial airspace.

Or at least I hope they are.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
THIS COULD BE A PARTOF A LARGER OPERATION WHOSE INTENT IS TO DEFINE THE CAPABILITIES AND RANGES OF BOTH MILITARY AND COMMERCIAL RADARS TO SEEK A HOLE OR WEAKNESS IN SUCH COVERAGE......
A TEST IF YOU WILL, OF WESTERN DEFENCE CAPABILITY....VIS A VIS RUSSIN INTERVENTIONS IN THE UKRAINE OR EVEN EASTERN EUROPE.....MAYBE?
edit on 14-12-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Of course it's a test. That's the point of these flights. They monitor communications, see how long it takes to respond, where the response begins, etc.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Of course it's a test. That's the point of these flights. They monitor communications, see how long it takes to respond, where the response begins, etc.

I understand its done regularly during the cold war and since....but im thinking new technology is being tested and the Russians are preparing the ground for other moves on the Balkans.....this is a conspiracy site and the thought just struck me its a bigger deal than its being made out to be.....
im naturally prone to suspicion (I think the mainstream call it paranoid others call it awareness.....:hey

Could the plan be shadow commericial flighs with stealth aircraft?
edit on 14-12-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

It is a test in the classical, response information gathering way. However the true purpose is to instill some fear in these countries to reduce their appetite for increasing sanctions against Russia. The idea is to present a military dimension to Europe and the EU and let the EU understand that an economic war against Russia can become a military war very quickly.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Uhm, why? Stealth aircraft are, by their nature, already incredibly hard to see on radar.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

And the flights BEFORE any sanctions on Russia were what?

It has nothing to do with fear, and everything to do with information gathering and training.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Could the plan be shadow commericial flighs with stealth aircraft?

I've heard of this being attempted, but my understanding is that advanced military radar systems effectively make it impossible. Problem being you don't know when the commercial airline will adjust course and have to be so close and a change in course could cause a collision. Military pilots practice close formation flying for the exact purpose of hiding the number of planes in a formation. Many times in Korea 2 Russian bogey's turned out to be 4 or 6.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

And the flights BEFORE any sanctions on Russia were what?

It has nothing to do with fear, and everything to do with information gathering and training.

These flights have been going on since the Cold War started. By your logic that fact alone eliminates ALL OTHER REASONS except yours. It's all Cold War related.

Amazingly enough reasons for doing things CHANGE as you do them. You should note that the volume of air intercepts increased dramatically (about 10 times previous totals) as soon as the Crimean peninsula was taken over in late February.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

And have you EVER read reports on Russian military readiness? Including their own internal reports?

When fighting started in the Crimea the Russian military had at MOST ten units IN THEIR ENTIRE MILITARY that were fully combat ready. If the Crimea had led to an actual fight, Russia would have been screwed and could have barely put a force together to do anything.
edit on 12/14/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

And have you EVER read reports on Russian military readiness? Including their own internal reports?

When fighting started in the Crimea the Russian military had at MOST ten units IN THEIR ENTIRE MILITARY that were fully combat ready. If the Crimea had led to an actual fight, Russia would have been screwed and could have barely put a force together to do anything.

Why are we now talking about military readiness??? What happened to the discussion of airspace intrusions Russia was conducting?

Ah forget it....I should know better to type something contrary to what the Mod was thinking to type.

My bad....carry on as you were...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join