It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rising sea levels could make Florida residents climate refugees

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Thermal expansion of fresh water increases above 4*C in both directions.
Not sure what "above 4º in both directions" mean but to clarify a bit; water contracts with increasing temperatures between 0°C and 4°C. It expands with increasing temperatures above 4º.
edit on 12/14/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I meant to say that above 4*C it expands and below 4*C it expands.

That did not come out as clear as I was thinking.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: doobydoll

Greetings and Salutations from a 'common passerby' who currently calls Flori-Duh their ecological niche.. That is nothing, We are currently paying for a nuclear plant that "may" be built in North Carolina in 2070!! One has to remember this is the State where the Gov. spent $72M of "his own $$" for a job that pays $170k/yr. His own $$ is in quotes because Rick Scott originally got that cash from a healthcare scam in the State of Alabama. There is a piece in the local rag this morn about Scott's drug testing fiasco that was proven unsuccessful in 2000 but He went ahead with it anyway. At one time Fl. had a "Pill Mill" problem and Scott closed all of those and put His own personal business in many of the existing storefronts w/His Concierge Drs. in which He charged $34.00 for drug tests while Fl hospitals averaged $150.00

Even with this $¢am He has a looooong way to deceive to get some of "his own $$$" back...

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: doobydoll

His greatest frustration is with state politicians who are either dismissive of climate science or ignore the risk of sea level rise. North Carolina recently passed legislation that makes it illegal to take scientific sea level projections into account when planning for coastal development.

I can hardly believe that using common sense and doing a job properly is illegal.

The world has gone totally bats.

No this makes perfect sense if your ideological stance is one of "there is no GW". These buildings have to be insured. When it comes to money that might have to be paid out do you really think an insurance company is going to take an ideological stance or a scientific one? By banning the assessment of risk you keep the ideological opinion alive......

Take a good long hard look at what insurance companies are up to and you will notice that they believe the 96% of climatologists just as they would believe 96% of aero engineers when insuring a plane! One of those DUH moments.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Is this a new twist? "Expanding" water will make sea levels rise? How come that doesn't happen during any sunny day?

It does and shrinks when cools (dark) and since the earth is round there is always areas of the sea expanding and others shrinking. I cannot prove this but I would take a very shrewd guess that the amount of expansion and contraction due to daylight and night time balances out on a sphere.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Gee, how 'bout desalination plants for the water starved west. Blossom deserts around the world..

Ooops, blocked by the environmentalists......

edit on 14-12-2014 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

I cannot prove this but I would take a very shrewd guess that the amount of expansion and contraction due to daylight and night time balances out on a sphere.

How about if it doesn't cool off at night the same amount that it heats during the day?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Readers remember this story.......When this fails to happen see this lie for what it truly is.....Control/money.

If these people actually cared about the earth they would be going after fracking.......They are not.....WHY? I am actually for saving the earth but I am also for honesty and integrity in doing it. Al Gore and his minions are lacking both.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

If these people actually cared about the earth they would be going after fracking.......They are not.....WHY?

Who are "these people?"
There seem to be a good number of people against fracking.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Yes yes frack the fracking frackers I say........
The corporate entities which control humanity are not HUMAN.....!
And THAT IS the problem......
Meanwhile how smart is it to build beachfront towers less than ten feet above the high tide line?
Common sense prevail........?................. NOT!

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Meanwhile how smart is it to build beachfront towers less than ten feet above the high tide line?
Common sense prevail........?................. NOT!

Considering the recent Tsunamis, near collisions with rocks from beyond and freaking Hurricanes…

I dunno…

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
People keep building in southern California canyons too. Nice place to live. For a while. Until a wildfire comes along. Followed by a mudslide.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad

originally posted by: intrptr
Is this a new twist? "Expanding" water will make sea levels rise? How come that doesn't happen during any sunny day?

It does and shrinks when cools (dark) and since the earth is round there is always areas of the sea expanding and others shrinking. I cannot prove this but I would take a very shrewd guess that the amount of expansion and contraction due to daylight and night time balances out on a sphere.

Don't forget the tidal pull of the Moon… The single biggest factor influencing the earths oceans on a daily basis.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Don't forget the tidal pull of the Moon… The single biggest factor influencing the earths oceans on a daily basis.

An also behaves in a very predictable manner. But with more (and warmer) water in the ocean that "mean sea level" will be higher, high tide will be higher and so will low tide.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Chaparral property in Santa Anna wind zones make good firestorms. And mud avalanches…

Then theres river flood regions…

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This only effects the rich bastards that own property on the beach, so sucks to be them. BTW this is an outcrop of the way another member thought about the Amazon Warehouse thing. They said "get another job, oh wait you are poor and uneducated. Suck it" Ah yes Suck it rich bastards it's Christmas time

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Emeraldous

This only effects the rich bastards that own property on the beach, so sucks to be them.

No. Seawater incursion does not just affect beaches.

Half a metre of sea level rise, which Wanless says will probably happen by mid-century, will mean Miami will lose its freshwater resources.

Once the sea level reaches a metre higher, all of South Florida’s infrastructure – roads, sewers, water treatment facilities, electricity, hospitals, schools – “will have to be totally redone.”

www.cbc.ca...

BTW this is an outcrop of the way another member thought about the Amazon Warehouse thing.
Not really.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Thats nice seapig now back to reality, things matter when it effects the rich. Global warming effects the rich. Regular working folk will be regular working flk for time eternal.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Emeraldous

Seapig?

Actually, global warming affects the poor a lot more than it affects the rich. It's a lot easier for the rich to adapt, to move. But economic impacts will affect everyone to some degree.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
adapt, move? You mean lose money, who will buy all the coastal properties worldwide so they don't lose money? Yeah I know about moving the losses to consumers
but can the consumers handle the extra load? If it effects the poor (by design?) more than the rich then by logic there is no rich without the poor... aka if the poor suffer then the rich suffer

edit on 14-12-2014 by Emeraldous because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-12-2014 by Emeraldous because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join