It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zurich Riots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Goo gle News Link

Collection of articles.

Zur ich riot police tackle vandals wreaking havoc

An estimated 200 masked men went on the rampage in a normally quiet part of Zurich on Friday night, with police forced to fire tear gas and water cannons to gain control of the situation.

Swiss police clash with radicals in Zurich

Swiss police have used teargas and water cannon in central Zurich to disperse some 200 masked protesters who set ablaze cars, trees and trash bins.

Radicals rampage through normally tranquil Zurich centre

Police fired tear gas and a water cannon in central Zurich late Friday to disperse some 200 masked demonstrators who attacked officers and torched cars, trees and garbage bins during an anti-capitalism protest.

This has happened over the weekend, could not find similar thread.

From what I can tell there seems to have been a highly co-ordinated attack by protestors from all over Europe who met up in Zürich and immediately set about causing as much mayhem as they could from destruction of both public and private property to openly engaging Swiss police with petrol bombs. Zurich is a major financial center and one of the wealthiest cities in Europe.

RT notes the protestors may have been part of the Reclaim the Streets collective.

Most mainstream news outlets that have chosen to cover this are of course labeling them "left wing radicals" and anti capitalists". Comparative to most protestors they were well organized and equipped with weapons and gas masks.

I believe in the coming years we are going to witness more and more of these sporadic, targeted acts of aggression by the people against government institutions. Perhaps we are even witnessing the foundation of what will later become "the Resistance".

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The resistance is ongoing.....has been for some time......
These protesters will get even more organised and radical should the governments not reign in corporate greed and influence.......go get em boys!

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Sadly I cannot see the governments doing any such thing, given their track record it seems clear they are leaving people very little choice.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
What does committing arson on people's private property have to do with 'reclaiming the streets'?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

No idea however the wikipedia articles on Community ownershipstates

Community owned assets or organisations are those that are owned and controlled through some representative mechanism that allows a community to influence their operation or use and to enjoy the benefits arising

Perhaps those involved take umbrage with private property controlled by financial organizations.

People seem to have myriad ways of expressing themselves, perhaps setting fire to stuff was theirs, who knows, I was not there and could not ask any of the individuals involved only speculate on their motivations.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Dabrazzo

I am specifically referring to this:

...torched cars, trees and garbage bins...

Burning people's private property is not really going to engender them to your cause. Quite the contrary.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Burning people's private property is not really going to engender them to your cause. Quite the contrary.

Well, if they didn't know about the cause before - they do now. Even if it makes them angry, they are engendered.

Mission accomplished.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LiveForever8

Mission accomplished.

And do you think the victim of arson or vandalism is going to be sympathetic to this cause?

I highly doubt that...

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: LiveForever8

Its also a good way to turn off people that are sympathetic to "the cause." Destroying people's property is not a way to gain support from the people.

Yes, it would make me angry if my car was torched, and had I been sympathetic to their cause prior to that occuring, I would be against their cause after seeing how they treat those that support their cause.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
And do you think the victim of arson or vandalism is going to be sympathetic to this cause?

Sometimes it's not about winning hearts and minds. Sometimes it's about opening eyes and minds. You know, you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs...
edit on 14/12/2014 by LiveForever8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: LiveForever8
Sometimes it's not about winning hearts and minds. Sometimes it's about opening eyes and minds.

Well I can be fairly certain the people's eyes who they 'opened' are not going to be flocking to their 'cause'.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

Can I just ask where you stand on what they are actualy protesting about?

Regardless of how you view their methods, though perfectly valid im sure, what opinion do you actualy have on the matter?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dabrazzo
Can I just ask where you stand on what they are actualy protesting about?

They are anti-capitalist, I am not. I personally do not care if anyone is anti-capitalist and feel people have the right to protest. The right ceases when they began to break the law.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Im not entirely sure to what extent they are "anti-capitalist" Im more inclined to believe they are simply anti corruption. I like capitalism, but I dont like whats happening just now though.

And what about unjust laws?

Just curious.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Im not entirely sure to what extent they are "anti-capitalist"

Enough that it is posted on their website:

...We don’t want to leave our city to freeholders, to money, to capitalists... Source

And what about unjust laws?

Just curious.

What about them? You do not go out and torch people's property because you think a law is unjust. Thear are avenues of redress to overturn a law that the People feel may be unjust.

edit on 14-12-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Yeah it doesnt actualy say they are "anti capitalist" though does it?

Thing about the law though is, if you believe that in general even unjust laws must be followed then I guess we will just fundamentaly disagree on a person right to exercise particular freedoms especialy with regards to political expression.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I get sick of the namby pamby attitude that mere asking for redress will eventually convince the PTB to act in a fairer and more balanced manner to share their bloated wealth with the rest of us.......
The more I see of such rhetoric the more im convinced its from people who already have a share in the pie....rule of law my ass!

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Yeah it doesnt actualy say they are "anti capitalist" though does it?

Do you honestly think they fall closer on their socio-economic belief to capitalism or something else?

Thing about the law though is, if you believe that in general even unjust laws must be followed then I guess we will just fundamentaly disagree on a person right to exercise particular freedoms especialy with regards to political expression.

I never said that, I said burning your neighbor's property is not an endearing form of protest, political or otherwise. It is reprehensible behavior that only creates more problems.

top topics

join