It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sedlec osuary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
if i had to go to church, it would definitely be this one

en.wikipedia.org...

The Sedlec Ossuary (Czech: Kostnice v Sedlci) is a small Roman Catholic chapel, located beneath the Cemetery Church of All Saints (Czech: Hřbitovní kostel Všech Svatých) in Sedlec, a suburb of Kutná Hora in the Czech Republic. The ossuary is estimated to contain the skeletons of between 40,000 and 70,000 people, whose bones have in many cases been artistically arranged to form decorations and furnishings for the chapel

An enormous chandelier of bones, which contains at least one of every bone in the human body, hangs from the center of the nave with garlands of skulls draping the vault.

finally, a church thats awesome

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Theres also one similar to this in northern spain, now gonna hunt through a stack of photos to find a pic to upload!, you'd love the catacombs below paris, but very hard to see them nowadays due to cave-ins and greedy people hogging them for their own delight!lol!a reply to: Grovit

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: billyvonhelvete

i would love to see the catacombs.
im not religious at all. actually, i despise it but i love the art and the architecture.
i love checking out old churches. there are a couple around here that have been around 100 years or so which is nothing of course
i would love to be able to travel around to different countries and visit churches that have been there for hundreds or even thousands of years.
i want to go to the vatican bad.
actually, i want to go under the vatican. to the catacombs and tunnels. thats where to juice is.
you know, the cathedral of saint domius, of course the pantheon, the santa maria maggiore....

just amazing...i especially like the churches in eastern europe

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I have seen this before. Awesome in a weird sort of way.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
And yet people practicing the same religion wiped out the Aztecs for having skull racks in their temples...

Do as we say,not as we do springs to mind.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Not every church has bone displays.

I'd hate to be the one who has to dust that place every week.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Not every church has bone displays.

I'd hate to be the one who has to dust that place every week.

Dust to dust. I could understand how very pious parishioners would have comfort in knowing their remains would be in the house of God for eternity.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I can understand that too but I meant that not every church has displays such as this so it isn't necessarily hypocrisy when it comes to the Aztecs. If every local church had lots of bones everywhere I'd agree.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

I can understand that too but I meant that not every church has displays such as this so it isn't necessarily hypocrisy when it comes to the Aztecs. If every local church had lots of bones everywhere I'd agree.

I thought they were wiped out for their gold and other Earthly treasures?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Sylcone Synapse mentioned how it's ironic that they're doing the same thing the Aztecs did. The church was a powerful entity back then too, they had a lot to do with the deaths of indigenous peoples.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

You may find this interesting - it's an article about bejewelled skeletons. They are said to be the remains of Catholic martyrs that have been removed from the Roman Catacombs. I chose the DM because it has more pictures and less adverts than some of the other sites featuring these:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: berenike

thanks for the link.
thats cool as hell

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
finally, a church thats awesome

I've never been in a church that wasn't awesome. Most churches make their more modern architectural surroundings look garish and stale by comparison.

top topics

join