It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Country's IQ ranking decides condition within, fact!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Don't really understand what we can do about it if you think its genetic? I guess there will be a group at the top that will prevail. High IQ'ers of course will succeed and hopefully survive as a new space species. They will take into consideration all contingencies and will never regret any decision they make.
Yeah, stop scaring me and make your mistakes already, the bleak future awaits you too.
edit on 14-12-2014 by Emeraldous because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: TinfoilTP

What's your IQ just outta curiosity...

The discussion isn't about individuals, it is about average IQ of a Country size population.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: rowanflame

I think this is relevant...
www.albionmonitor.com - Poverty Lowers IQ, Study Says...

Contrary to "The Bell Curve" findings, a new study published in the April issue of Child Development by researchers at Columbia and Northwestern Universities suggests that poverty and early learning opportunities -- not race -- account for the gap in IQ scores between blacks and whites.

Adjustments for socioeconomic conditions almost completely eliminate differences in IQ scores between black and white children, according to the study's co-investigators. They include Jeanne Brooks-Gunn and Pamela Klebanov of Columbia's Teachers College, and Greg Duncan of the Center for Urban Affairs and Policy Research at Northwestern University.

As in many other studies, the black children in the study had IQ scores a full 15 points lower than their white counterparts. Poverty alone, the researchers found, accounted for 52 percent of that difference, cutting it to 7 points. Controlling for the children's home environment reduced the difference by another 28 percent, to a statistically insignificant 3 points -- in essence, eliminating the gap altogether.

Given what you can read in the above link, I think it's still true national IQ might lower if a country absorbs poor immigrants. However, it's not because those immigrants are inferior genetic breeds. It's somethign which can be solved slowly by raising people above the poverty level.

What I've read in the past suggests people in poverty tend to stay in poverty. Even their children tend to stay in poverty. HOWEVER, poverty in 2014 is a great deal more "rich" than poverty in 1814.

This process might be ongoing:
en.wikipedia.org - Flynn effect...

The effect is larger in emerging countries but still measured in developed. Implications are we'll hit a plateau, unless something unforeseen happens. IMHO, we'll enhance our intelligence through various means, not just to improve our living conditions, but to compete against artificial intelligence. I do believe AI will continue to occupy tasks previously only humans filled. It will spur a necessary revolution in human intelligence.

Also note this intriguing quote from the above (Flynn effect) link:

There is a controversy as to whether the US racial gap in IQ scores is diminishing. If that is the case then this may or may not be related to the Flynn effect. Rushton and Jensen argued against expecting the Flynn Effect to narrow the US black-white IQ gap, since they see that gap as mostly genetic in origin, and there is evidence from mathematical analyses that what causes the Flynn effect is different from what causes the black-white gap.[52] Flynn has replied that he never claimed that the Flynn effect has the same causes as the black-white gap, but that it shows that environmental factors can create IQ differences of a magnitude similar to the gap.

If the black/white gap IS socioeconomic (as my post affirms) and not genetic then maybe it's the flynn effect or something related possibly. This is assuming what's causing hte Flynn effect is socioeconomic in part; flynn effect is result of increasing standards of living and equal rights.
edit on 14-12-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

What was it for ?
What is the test called?
The VA didn't tell me.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Aside from the obvious issue of standardized tests being used to gauge IQ around the work with different languages and ways of thinking, there are a problems i see here. First off, correlation does not imply causation. You can look at correlated graphs all day long and come to the assumption that all sorts of things are caused by other completely irrelevant things. Here are some examples. Using the information in that link you could also come to the conclusion that Nick Cage movies cause drownings and that political action committees cause people falling out of wheelchairs to die.

The second issue I see is, even if the link between IQ and citizen well-being is as connected as the OP thinks it is, how do we know which came first? Is the low IQ responsible for the poor living conditions, or are the poor living conditions responsible for the low IQ? I would assume that struggling to survive and not having access to schools or knowledgeable peers would make it very difficult to expand your intelligence where in a country with good living conditions, you are constantly learning whether you like it or not.

Definitely an interesting op S+F

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Nothing surprising here.

What is funny though is a nation obsessed with shootings and gun violence, corrupt politicians a moronic war on drugs, massive military spending etc, etc et al... But is also too stupid to understand that if you fought the ONE fight, the fight for excessive education spending all the rest of the problems would be solved

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   

That's what the USA and the western world wants you to think. Truth is the cultures like the Native Americans were getting along just fine until we came along. The sending of aid to these countries is a way of us trying to indoctrinate them into western thinking.

IQ is just another effort to label and categorize people.
edit on 15-12-2014 by asmall89 because: typo

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: asmall89

I don't think the Western world has taught anything close to that since the end of WWII, it's actually the opposite from what I've observed, i.e. the white man was and is perpetually the cause of all evil.

I'd wager that most Western people have a very romanticized image of Native Americans.

I have to ask you where you live? In the 19th century?

You always hear about white slavery yet you never hear about the Arab slave trade that lasted until the 70's.

You always hear about European colonialism but never about Turkish(Ottoman) colonialism.

Many double standards..

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

Whole section on that here:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
"Thank your parents if you're smart: Up to 40% of a child's intelligence is inherited, researchers claim"
www.dailymail.co.uk...

There you go, there is a definite genetic aspect to IQ recognized by Scientists therefore socioeconomic/environmental equalization will not result in all country's having the same or similar average IQ ranking

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

What do you mean? I wasn't alive in the 19th century, and as far as I know most people born then are dead. However I live in the western United States.

These people are better off without our help. We view them as inferior because they do not have the highest standard of plumbing, irrigation or concept of farming that the west does. In fact if a culture is nomadic or tribal we view it as "savage" and uncivilized.

Yeah the Native Americans are probably over romanticized a bit but that does not negate the fact that we took their land, killed them, killed their food source, and then put them on tiny bits of bad land i.e. the shoshone reservation in Wyoming.

IQ has nothing to do with how advanced a civilization is. The ones that are on top are the ones who merely benefit from the ones on bottom.
edit on 17-12-2014 by asmall89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Sorry double post. Delete.
edit on 17-12-2014 by asmall89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: asmall89

What I mean is, I don't think the Western world has taught people that the rest of the world are savages in need of our help, i.e. Manifest Destiny, The White Man's Burden. Not any longer at least.

But interestingly, I see it manifest in an inverted fashion, white (guilty) liberals do seem to have a rather condescendingly subconscious feeling that the rest of the world is inferior and therefore in need of our help. Naturally they'll say it is to make up for past abuse but I think it's the same subconscious impulse that were behind Manifest Destiny, only this time they do not speak of overt superiority. But in my opinion it reeks of subconscious feelings of superiority.

Same thing with feminism, they're so caught up in the quest for equality that they haven't noticed that they're essentially infantilizing women, in a way that they so often accuse others of doing, i.e. they're so fragile flowers that they can't take care of themselves and need the state to intercede on their behalf. Equal opportunity yes, but mandating equal results is ironically enough institutionalised discrimination.

To sum it up, I don't think our Western educational institutions teach us that we're superior, quite the opposite, they do everything in their power to teach us about diversity and in their fervor to not discriminate they crossed a treshold and started to denigrate our own culture in a sadomasochistic fashion. Being white or culturally white is considered lame, and everything about Western culture is supposedly toxic, but they'll routinely put other cultures on a piedestal.

So in a way we do seem to see ourselves as superior, but not in an obvious overt way, we've even gone so far as to denigrate our own culture in favor of others. It's cultural Marxism and relativism in a nutshell.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

The fact is all the races on this planet think its the white mans job to go to these places when something is wrong, you even hear people saying why isn't America helping them ie why isn't the white man doing something, its his job!

Medical assistance, emergency housing, food aid, digging wells so people can drink water, supplying tools and equipment, stepping in if a dictator starts killing his own people....that and more is the white mans job to sort out.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: rowanflame
a reply to: Kali74

So IQ tests are now rejected lol, SAT tests are a close relative of IQ tests and far from rejected as you well know!

Yes, IQ tests are largely rejected. They're completely meaningless.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: rowanflame
a reply to: Kali74

So IQ tests are now rejected lol, SAT tests are a close relative of IQ tests and far from rejected as you well know!

Yes, IQ tests are largely rejected. They're completely meaningless.

That's completely false. They're not completely meaningless at all, but the origin of changes and differences are complicated and subtle and not universally agreed.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join