It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Country's IQ ranking decides condition within, fact!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: rowanflame

It's obviously not valid though, if you click the links I gave and did some further researching on your own from there, you would see that even these picture and block tests are not valid for unilateral use. In the second abstract you see that these IQ scores increased over time as socioeconomic conditions improved. Which denotes the opposite of your premise or rather Richard Lynn's premise and your confirmation bias, which would be that poverty causes lower IQ.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: bitsforbytes

Its a chicken and egg question, is the condition a country is in a result of lower IQ or is the lower IQ a result of the condition the people live in. Did we not all start off equal, did the angels dump tools out of the sky in some country's to give them an unfair advantage?

Also the fact that colonies from outside flourish in such environment whilst natives do less well, thinking of south Africa who are essentially European (British/Dutch) settlements in Africa, tends to rubbish that argument.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

The problem with something like this is what if you can't read very well? You could be illiterate but still highly intelligent. Your IQ score would look much lower than what it is. If you aren't receiving a good education you may find the test to be more difficult.

The IQ test doesn't measure creativity or imagination along with many other skills. The best farmer in the world could have a very low IQ. The best hunter could have a low IQ.

If you took away electricity in a moments notice...those countries on that list are now the most successful.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Seems Lynn also did a comparison of IQ regarding religiosity vs atheism.

Nyborg also co-authored a study with Richard Lynn, emeritus professor of psychology at the University of Ulster, which compared religious belief and average national IQs in 137 countries.[11] The study analysed the issue from several viewpoints. Firstly, using data from a U.S. study of 6,825 adolescents, the authors found that atheists scored 6 IQ points higher than non-atheists.

Secondly, the authors investigated the link between religiosity and intelligence on a country level. Among the sample of 137 countries, only 23 (17%) had more than 20% of atheists, which constituted “virtually all... higher IQ countries.” The authors reported a correlation of 0.60 between atheism rates and level of intelligence, which was determined to be “highly statistically significant”.[11]

Professor Gordon Lynch, director of the Centre for Religion and Contemporary Society from London's Birkbeck College, expressed concern that the study failed to take into account a complex range of social, economic and historical factors, each of which has been shown to interact with religion and IQ in different ways.[12] Gallup surveys, for example, have found that the world's poorest countries are consistently the most religious, perhaps because religion plays a more functional role (helping people cope) in poorer nations.[5][6]

Commenting on some of the above studies in The Daily Telegraph, Lynn said "Why should fewer academics believe in God than the general population? I believe it is simply a matter of the IQ. Academics have higher IQs than the general population. Several Gallup poll studies of the general population have shown that those with higher IQs tend not to believe in God."[12] A study published in Social Psychology Quarterly in March 2010[13] also stated that "atheism ...correlate[s] with higher intelligence".[14]

Researcher Gregory S. Paul's findings suggest that economic development has a closer relationship with religiosity.[16] He argues that once any "nation's population becomes prosperous and secure, for example through economic security and universal health care, much of the population loses interest in seeking the aid and protection of supernatural entities." Other studies have shown that increased wealth is correlated with a decline in religious beliefs.[17][18] Indeed, the majority of the nations that showed a strong relationship between low religiosity and high IQ in the 2008 study were developed nations.[11]

Wikipedia

Seems to me that Lynn's work is tainted by his own biases. He doesn't like non-whites and he doesn't like people who believe in God. So he uses the same practices to speak with authority against those he doesn't like and seems to totally negate what's increasingly clear which is that environment has a huge impact on IQ, yes even with the logic tests. Logic is subjective to environment, what's logical to do in one situation may get you killed in another.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

The problem with something like this is what if you can't read very well? You could be illiterate but still highly intelligent.

Its picture based as said so you dont have to be able to read!

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Are you just going to ignore evidence that Lynn's theory and your bias are completely wrong? Shall I stop wasting my time?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

I took THAT test and they said I did better than most PHDs.I just can't learn math or deal with others well.
What is it for?

Really ???

such honesty is usually dishonest in my experience btw PHD's fair ok in life

edit on 14-12-2014 by rowanflame because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Your the one mentioning Lynn, I didn't even mention his name btw that's called a straw man argument! The difference in IQ between country's is legitimate and recognized by psychologists worldwide not just one guy sitting in a shed somewhere, what is controversial however is what causes it. For those who say its purely social IQ studies of second and third generation immigrants living in America throws light on that.

edit on 14-12-2014 by rowanflame because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Yes, why could I possibly be mentioning Richard Lynn?

National IQ Scores - Country Rankings
www.photius.com...
SOURCE: Richard Lynn, Tatu Vanhanen, Jelte Wicherts.

From your first link...

Link

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
"Does any serious scientist any longer doubt that heredity contributes importantly to individual differences in intelligence?" This was the question put by Professor Robert Plomin of the Institute of Psychiatry in London......Professor Bouchard claims intelligence is 70 per cent inherited, whereas Professor Plomin believes the figure is nearer 50 per cent."
www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

But it goes even deeper than that. While the deadening of the thought process promoted by the Koran is environmental, there are indications actual inbreeding within Muslim families over the same 1400 year period has genetically handicapped cognitive abilities for many. This has been evident to U.S. military trainers who have encountered challenges in getting their Muslim students to grasp basic concepts.

It has also been documented by Danish psychologist Nikolai Sennels, flagging an issue that has long maintained a low profile in the West.

There has been a tradition within Islam, first practiced by the Prophet Muhammad, to marry first cousins. It is a policy, Sennels found, that has proven disastrous. Yet, it also is a problem that will never go away as Muslims seek to emulate Muhammad's life by following his example. And no Muslim believes Muhammad capable of having been wrong.

Sennels believes massive inbreeding within Muslim culture has done "virtually irreversible damage to the Muslim gene pool, including extensive damage to its intelligence, sanity, and health." He supports this claim statistically.

He reports almost half of all Muslims are the product of inbreeding. In Pakistan, the rate is nearly 70%. This explains why Muslims experience an excessively high (for British Muslims it is thirteen times more likely) rate of children with recessive genetic disorders. In the U.K., where Pakistanis account for only three percent of births, they generate 33% of the children having genetic birth defects.

Sennels also provides statistics evidencing children of such marriages suffer a 10-16 point IQ reduction and prove slower in developing social skills.

Read more: Family Security Matters www.familysecuritymatters.org...
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution

Source

A culture of billions that emulates marrying first cousins is detrimental to IQ over the long haul.
Another example was the Royal blood lines intermarrying thoughout Europe.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Too bad in this case correlation is directly responsible for causation. There is no rebuttal for this. Be as PC as you want but I concur with the OP and facts are facts they can't really be argued.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Yes, why could I possibly be mentioning Richard Lynn?

National IQ Scores - Country Rankings
www.photius.com...
SOURCE: Richard Lynn, Tatu Vanhanen, Jelte Wicherts.

From your first link...

Link

This research is being done on a continuous basis and there is no reason for us to suspect IQ in all country's would be the same in fact we know it is not Lynn or no Lynn.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
So now we've moved on from Africans to Middle Eastern people and from progressively worse sources.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

My bad I missed that....but im not sure how they would get what they were supposed to do then unless someone just told them.

But the other issue is...can't read well. What if you can't read but maybe aren't sure about a word...idk just pointing out that those tests aint perfect. Ive taken various ones from hour long to a few questions have have varied from 115 to 145. I found some to be easier and some to be harder. Some asked more general knowledge and some were more analytical. Of course im sure some of those were made by anyone just calling them an IQ test.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Research being done for dubious reasons... with conclusions that are outright rejected by their peers. Or does that not matter? If it doesn't matter I would like to go with Lynn's other study, the one that purports religiosity lowers IQ.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Research being done for dubious reasons... with conclusions that are outright rejected by their peers. Or does that not matter? If it doesn't matter I would like to go with Lynn's other study, the one that purports religiosity lowers IQ.

Yes, where inbreeding is an integral part of the religious culture spanning millenia, IQ will suffer.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Not just and did you know 1st cousin marriage is legal almost everywhere including many US states? Though it in all honesty grosses me out, genetic anomalies resulting from 1st cousin breeding is pretty small, typically affecting only the fertility of the offspring.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

a reply to: TinfoilTP

Not just and did you know 1st cousin marriage is legal almost everywhere including many US states? Though it in all honesty grosses me out, genetic anomalies resulting from 1st cousin breeding is pretty small, typically affecting only the fertility of the offspring.

Tell that to the Pakistani's squatting in Britain.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: rowanflame
a reply to: RedmoonMWC

Well whatever IQ measures ( intelligence quotient ) it is evident from the list that the lower it is the bigger a mess a country is in. It is therefore also clear that a drop in national average IQ will be met with decrease in social, living conditions.

That is not the case. Look at some of the African states that are terrible places to live but in the middle of the scale while some Carribean states that are the best places to live on Earth are at the bottom. You also have places like Mongolia high up the scale. You think like in Iraq is some how better than St. Lucia? Of course we all know IQ tests are bunk anyway. And trying to create a national average when in poor countries the best and brightest leave to go to rich countries also completely messes with the scale. In the end it does not take a high IQ to see this entire thing holds zero merit.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join