It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Face of War: A Picture of the Opening Salvo of a Potential New World War

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide brill post yes I agree with what you have posted

star and a flag for you

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
OK, I've read most of the posts....absolutely fascinating and learnt a lot...thank you guys.

However I do have a question.....is it possible that the US has hacked into say the Chinese system to set off all these attacks making it look like the Chinese are to blame if things go 'tits up' as we say here in the UK. This would give the US the excuse they need to fire 'real' missiles....just asking.

Jane

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I work in IT as well. When I have good DNS and no pages loading at my schools, I usually know my squid box (content filter proxy) is down. Makes me think man in the middle...

a reply to: Agit8dChop

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
OK, I've read most of the posts....absolutely fascinating and learnt a lot...thank you guys.

However I do have a question.....is it possible that the US has hacked into say the Chinese system to set off all these attacks making it look like the Chinese are to blame if things go 'tits up' as we say here in the UK. This would give the US the excuse they need to fire 'real' missiles....just asking.

Jane

If so what would stop Russia or even Israel from playing around?

Why are any of these madmen permitted to control nations let alone the Internet? Ah yes, for our own safety.

If Fergueson leads to militarized police, than as DDoS attack leads to ______?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I think these links might be useful for gathering real time data

hackmageddon.com...

map.honeynet.org...

www.shadowserver.org...

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ttropia
I work in IT as well. When I have good DNS and no pages loading at my schools, I usually know my squid box (content filter proxy) is down. Makes me think man in the middle...

a reply to: Agit8dChop

I have worked in IT as well, and as I have said before..."what can be written, can be read" was a statement I heard from a coder back in the late 80's..and it's just a matter of larger permutations and more complex combinations of encryption being deciphered....

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Great thread, answers many questions I had.

I'm way over my head here (but when has that ever stopped me before?) BUT, when you say "China" or "Russia", are you referring to the actual governments of those countries? I mean, if it turns out the actual origins of these so-called attacks are from one of those countries, wouldn't it more likely be some renegade, vigilante group that has formed within them, and not the government per se?

After all, if China shuts down our ability to engage in commerce, it shuts down it's cash cow. Why would they do that to themselves? Russia is undoubtedly more pissed at us right now.

Get rich quick scheme: If someone is able to develop a program to ascertain the origins of said attacks..... that someone might become very wealthy, yes? Get to work guys!

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
China was hording oil that they purchased at ~$100 a barrel.
They stored 391,000 barrels a day last year so that's over 142 million barrels.
Now we are being told the price of oil will drop and stay near ~$50 barrel.
China lost 7.1 billion dollars in 6 months.

Perhaps they were planning on a global economic rebound, or that globally countries would promote inflation to devalue their national debt?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
A friend of mine works our company server farm and next Friday night they are shutting most of it down for maintance and testing. He said that's the official story but not true. He said he would fill me in afterwards but they didn't want the entire system up at 6AM Saturday the 20th. Only the minimum to keep the system viable. Whatever that means.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: majesticgent

BOEING......

2ND LINE

this right here is why the baddest mf's in the land need to scythe through congress, the Pentagon, and the defense procurement groups like **** through agoose.

This defense mergers BS as well as major firms that do "systems integration" as well as the congressional BS that results in some pretty major firms on average employing less than a hundred people per site because they need a site in every congressional district!!!

Whatever lead we may have had technologically is evaporating one ddos at a time. Oh and our government being more afraid of her own citizens than the other countries that would love to impose sanctions on us that would make the terms of there armistice Germany got after ww1 look gnerous.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Here's an off the wall conspiracy theory for you.

Recently, in the news, people the likes of Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk have been warning about unleashing AI upon the world. Heck, it's even the plot line for the new Avengers: Age of Ultron due out next spring.

What if this AI is about to awaken? What if the rest of the world has realized that the US is unable to stop it? What if these attacks are part of that attempt to stop or weaken it?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

originally posted by: TDawgRex
a reply to: Hefficide

The following phrase comes to my mind.

"Is a DDOS attack actual justification for launching cruise missiles of some such?

The answer is a definite maybe.

If China takes the US Grid Down you can be certain that they will launch at China.

Peace

If China hits at a just a few things too hard it will justify an attack. This is why they are hitting random things little at a time. North Korea is more likely to blame but China backs everything they do, or I should say China gives NK the orders to do what it does.

China and NK are playing with Fire! The U.S. can kick them in the nuts so hard it will take them another century to recover to a point where they can make tools again out of steel.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
Great thread, answers many questions I had.

I'm way over my head here (but when has that ever stopped me before?) BUT, when you say "China" or "Russia", are you referring to the actual governments of those countries? I mean, if it turns out the actual origins of these so-called attacks are from one of those countries, wouldn't it more likely be some renegade, vigilante group that has formed within them, and not the government per se?

After all, if China shuts down our ability to engage in commerce, it shuts down it's cash cow. Why would they do that to themselves? Russia is undoubtedly more pissed at us right now.

Get rich quick scheme: If someone is able to develop a program to ascertain the origins of said attacks..... that someone might become very wealthy, yes? Get to work guys!

These spy programs are way to sophisticated to be created by a small Group of renegades.

I can think of at least one Group besides a specific government like Russia or China that could be capable of creating something like this, and that is NATOs own Staybehind 2. Groups. Staybehind 2. is know for spying and also harrasing its own People and State. Staybehind have very Close relations to NSA and CIA. If yo have Close relatiosn to NSA and CIA who own communication satelites you are in a very good position to create sophisticated spy programs that are capable of spying on its users. Staybehind are also located all over the Place: Europe and Australi, Vietnam. These programs can be launched from all these locations or even brought into Russia or Chine to be launched from there.

Sophisticated programs like this would be made by People who work With coding and decoding. NSA, CIA, MI6 and so on have this as their profession.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: gramer.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ForteanOrg

So you sloppy numb nut computer engineers make a mega flawed system that has more holes than a block of swiss cheese hit by a mini gun and then blame the general user of said system for not being a computer engineer LMAO!! Do you work at Microsoft? lol.

I used to be paranoid about my PC online, it was a colossal waste of time and money. Never seen any speed increase at all and have had less problems since I said to hell with it. Fix the net and stop blaming the users who surf your screwed up wave I say. Its not our fault script kids and other bad people online show you just how screwed up the net is.
Anything of real value should not be on the public net anyway. Online banking is the craziest of them all. A nations infrastructure should have never been pinned to the net, That will go down as the dumbest thing the U.S. has ever done. The only ace the U.S. has in its sleeve is we have most of the net servers. We can literally cut the connections to Asia and leave them holding nothing. Our bombs can take out those other cables unlike Russia where it took them 14 times over two days to hit a solid pipeline in Georgia lol.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: majesticgent
I am looking at the website live now and I see that St. Louis is on the receiving end of a lot of attacks right now from all over the globe! You would think it was the capital of the US in the war analogy you gave.

im not an IT guy, but my guess is that since missouri is the most central state in the US, A LOT of major servers are there, because its the midpoint of the nation, meaning overall shorter travel times in terms of information, and everything else.

ever try to play an online game, on a server that is WAY outside of your home country, for example, a US citizen playing on a European server? you will experience significantly more lag and disconnections than if you were playing on a server near you/in your country.
edit on 14-12-2014 by 8fl0z because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Patriotsrevenge

So you sloppy numb nut computer engineers make a mega flawed system that has more holes than a block of swiss cheese hit by a mini gun and then blame the general user of said system for not being a computer engineer LMAO!! Do you work at Microsoft? lol.

"famous opening Salvo" Lincoln Douglas debates.

"Go husband, Go bear"

edit on 14-12-2014 by Slichter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
It may seem to be between "Nations" like the U.S. and China.

But I think it is an effort by a very powerful international organization.

If 2 or more "Nations" get caught up in this cyber war, who benefits?

What are the goals and objectives?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Excellent thread and you are on point with it all, except I don't think BotNet's are as big of a problem as they were say 10 years ago. The more popular threat these days are very intricate hacking procedures. Digital Ninja's if you will. There's becoming more and more underground groups, foreign and domestic, that are infiltrating and doing much more damage than BotNet's cause. We see this with the hacking of the financial institutions, Government networks and so forth. All going virtually undetected for quite a while, honestly. I'm not saying that BotNet's do not still pose a threat to certain systems or networks, but they're definitely not as big of a problem as they used to be. Security measures have come a long way in order to protect against DDoS attacks.

The main issue, I think, that you're hitting on with this thread, is that we rely way too much on technology. From a conspiracy mindset, one would think that this is what they want us to do, let technology take over our everyday lives. People these days don't know how to survive -- that alone would send a majority of the population into a spiraling downfall. I'm not a "prepper" by any means, but I do know how to survive without the means of digital assistance. We, as a people, have become extremely lazy, wanting our devices to do everything for us. From homes controlled by computers; to draw the drapes, turn the coffee pot on, turn the heat on, lights on/off -- pure laziness. We've taken a virtue, a luxury and turned it into something that most of us can't go a day without. Technology, and the luxuries that come along with it are more of a convenience, not a substitute. I often think about what's going to happen when the big one does come. Sadly, most of the thoughts and imaginations do not end well at all.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Ive been observing the ipviking site over the last few days and what i am noticing is that although alot of attacks are coming from china, there are also alot of attacks on america coming from its own servers. The two reasons for this are either they are testing their own servers for such an incident, or another country are using them to attack their own country.

Does anyone have a reason for the US to be attacking itself so aggressively?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

Does anyone have a reason for the US to be attacking itself so aggressively?

We don't know who or why yet.

Someone wants to draw attention to China and the UK where most of the DOS activity occurred?

I was speculating that modern "wars" are usually started for "economic reasons".

WW2 was fought over controversial debts if you believe the rhetorical argument of Mein Kampf.

China is out perhaps a trillion Yuan due to the drop in oil prices.
Not only did China stockpile oil at an inflated price, oil producing nations such as Venezuela will soon be defaulting on Chinese purchased bonds.

Not a happy day in China but not necessarily related to the DOS attacks.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join