It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida officer burns 3yr-old boy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
is it silly to some how imply that ties in to being a police officer..yes..

Odd how the kid's something like 4x as likely to be abused if it's a LEO as a parent. Innit?

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Odd how a kid is more likely to be abused when he has a parent or parents in a high pressure job or their isn't money around or their are drugs involved.

Clearly you are part of the ATS crowd that wants to blame cops for everything, enjoy that.

I just don't see how beign a police officer has anything to do with a horrible situation that happens on a daily basis across all professions and walks of life.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Again, I don't disagree. I'm just clarifying that a) it's not collected by the PD and b) it doesn't all go back to them either.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Clearly you are part of the ATS crowd that wants to blame cops for everything, enjoy that.

Well, I'm one from the ATS crowd that can read studies, and sees that LEOs are about 4x as likely to be child abusers or wife beaters as, say, engineers.

Because a lot of LEOs are control freaks, and/or have narcissistic personality disorders.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

I just don't see how beign a police officer has anything to do with a horrible situation that happens on a daily basis across all professions and walks of life.

See also: no true Scotsman fallacy, otherwise known as the ad hoc defense

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

Well, I'm one from the ATS crowd that can read studies, and sees that LEOs are about 4x as likely to be child abusers or wife beaters as, say, engineers.

Just assuming you are right, I don't concede that, which ones are they? Officer Smith? O'leary? Rossi? I mean specific people. They are castigated without having done anything?

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Armchair diagnoses are fun aren't they?

Chances of this post ever having been created if the perpetrator of this heinous act wasnt a cop? Pretty minimal.

Odd that, innit?

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
I mean specific people. They are castigated without having done anything?

We're talking statistics. Trying to cast it to a specific is an example of the no true Scotsman fallacy. And it's the usual reply.

LEOs have high rates of child abuse and spousal abuse.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Doesn't matter. All cops are the same man. That's well established here.

And law enforcement is anywhere from almost double to four times as likely to have issues of domestic violence, depending on which study one chooses to cite.

Then again, doesn't matter. One brush to paint them all!

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Armchair diagnoses are fun aren't they?

It's not one of those secret issues. There are tons of studies of police psychology.

Unfortunately, that same set of tendencies that make you "a good LEO" make you likely to beat your wife and kids, and smack around the odd civilian. And use steroids and alcohol.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: AgentShillington
But those cops bought eggs and presents for those people the other day, right?

What's the big deal?

Cops are swell, remember?

Sarcasm on the back of this event has no place. There are too many bad police and bad policing excesses to the point of people now protesting and it is real, not an invention of the internet. This event is not about bad policing, it's about a child minder.

I was at a protest today. Don't tell me how to spend my internet time. Sarcasm is the only thing keeping me sane.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Unfortunately, that same set of tendencies that make you "a good LEO" make you likely to beat your wife and kids, and smack around the odd civilian. And use steroids and alcohol.

I dont even know what to say to this post..It's so full of fail.
You keep thinking you have a realistic view on life.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I mean specific people. They are castigated without having done anything?

We're talking statistics. Trying to cast it to a specific is an example of the no true Scotsman fallacy. And it's the usual reply.

LEOs have high rates of child abuse and spousal abuse.

Funny though that they ALL get smeared though, right?

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
If I were to decide this man's fate, he would become well acquainted with blowtorches.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I dont even know what to say to this post..It's so full of fail.
You keep thinking you have a realistic view on life.

My view on life isn't at question. A high narcissistic personality index and a high anti-social behavior index goes hand in hand with all the things that make for a good LEO. Unfortunately, it also goes along with going upside the old lady's head if she questions you.

The studies aren't all from the commie pinko academy. There are a lot of them. The things LEOs tend to rate as "good" qualities in other LEOs correlate with high narcissistic indices and high anti-social behavior indices on psych tests. It gives you that decisive cop that knows when to act. It also gives you one that doesn't tolerate disagreement and is always sure he's right. And one that tends to beat the old lady and take steroids and drink too much.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Ahhh but earlier you said a lot of LEOs have the disorder. Having traits associated with a disorder doesn't mean one has the disorder. It means one has traits that fall under it.

One may certainly be predisposed to something, but that doesn't mean one will act on it.

Which you have asserted with your broad brush approach to things here.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Funny though that they ALL get smeared though, right?

Well, if you got a job that tends to select for that sort of person, it's no surprise that it selects for that sort of person.

Where the process fails is, if you need that sort of person to do that job, great, but when the oversight for that group is tied up with conflicts of interest, then it can become sort of bad for the rest of us.

THAT'S where I have the problem. If you guys had a group providing oversight with NO conflict of interest, then things would be a lot different, as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Ahhh but earlier you said a lot of LEOs have the disorder.

A lot do. QED: the rates of family abuse by LEOs. Also alcoholism, and steroid use.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Looking at it honestly...I don't even want an answer. Just consider. You know the guys you work with. You know not all of them are exactly kosher.

If you woke up tomorrow, and they had created a Federal commission (I understand intrepid is Canadian...play along with it) that licenses cops like JCAHO licenses hospitals. Only with a major set of balls and an incentive to bust LEOs. Say the guys that work for the department get a bonus per busted cop, the way you get "equitable sharing" for asset forfeiture.

Only instead of getting a new margarita machine or an armored car for busting a drug pusher, these guys get braces for the kids if they put you in a Walmart as a greeter, forever.

How many of your buddies would quit because they would never again be safe rousting some mouthy civilian? Or pocketing some extra money when they busted a drug dealer? Because maybe that guy was a licensing commissioner on a sting? If you knew any time you pulled someone over and they gave you some sassmouth, and you got up in their face with a baton you MIGHT have a chance to walk away unemployed, forever? If they were recording you from 10 yards away, and you gave them a load of crap and took their camera "because it might be a cell phone gun", and the next thing they knew, they were decertified, right then and there?

How many would find the job had lost its luster? YOU wouldn't, of course. But I bet you know more than one guy that would.
edit on 13-12-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   

So how many LEOs are malignant narcissists? I mean "a lot" is pretty vague so...? We can agree that many have traits that fall under the umbrella. I'm just not sure where your "a lot" falls on the scale. Is it less or more than "most" or the majority? Where can I find the studies that show "a lot" of officers are malignant narcissists?

And don't tell me to google. I'm legit asking where the studies are. I find many that talk about traits being associated with law enforcement, but I'm not finding any that are telling me how many LEOs are malignant narcissists.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join