It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scrape the Geneva Convention when dealing with ISIS

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Only to say that those close to the action are answering ISIS in kind. Its their way, no one is bitching about it. Don't know that the Mahdi or Kurds ever signed the convention however.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

Ok I see pal.

Yeah some probably do worse to IS than they've inflicted.

The rebels & tribes are no doubt going by Sharia...
As for the Iraqi army, not too sure if they're bound by the Geneva Convention either.
edit on 13-12-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Iraqi army, not too sure if they're bound by the Geneva Convention

thats Saddam said.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

UK and US wouldn't be getting away with the mass prisoner executions if we were in there striating the mess out. Although at least the US had a few "no quarter" incidents during the last unpleasantness.

edit on 13-12-2014 by Logarock because: n

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

And in so doing become no better than they are?
No.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows
a reply to: ChesterJohn

And in so doing become no better than they are?
No.

Empty, meaningless words.
The only thing that matters is who is left standing in the end.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: LionOfGOD

And we could beat them easily without violating our principles.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I am not advocating chaotic or revenge motivated warfare I am advocating the use of reasonable actions to put an end to their advance such as elimination of communications capabilities and supply routes. These will affect non combatants and locals but their free right to cell phone communication and Internet access would only be disrupted as long as it takes to get ISIS out of the picture.

Without the elimination of communication and their ability to wreak social media Terrorism they will only grow. Without cutting off their communication they will continue to have multiple strike points simultaneously.

At least certain rules consigned to the Geneva Convention should be scraped.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Has not anyone figured it out one of the reasons to their success is the fact they have free run communication using Cell phones, Internet and other forms of communication that no one is willing to take out of the equation so they cannot prosper and because it has not been removed they grow in mass around the world.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

Has not anyone figured it out one of the reasons to their success is the fact they have free run communication using Cell phones, Internet and other forms of communication that no one is willing to take out of the equation so they cannot prosper and because it has not been removed they grow in mass around the world.

You are mistaken it is not the cell phone or the internet, it is the Muslim religion that aids their spread. It is that global network they tap into.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

You are mistaken it is not the cell phone or the internet, it is the Muslim religion that aids their spread. It is that global network they tap into.

Kill the Internet and you kill their ability to communicate fear and terror, as well as communicate with each other. the harder you make it for them to communicate the harder it will be for them to conquer as they have in Iraq and Syria.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

The trouble with that statement is that the majority of people killed by IS are in fact Muslims.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
A lot of people like to bring up the Geneva Conventions without actually understanding the provisions.

The Geneva Convention does not apply to ISIS, Al Qaeda, or any other terrorist group because of this:

The Conventions apply to a signatory nation even if the opposing nation is not a signatory, but only if the opposing nation "accepts and applies the provisions" of the Conventions.

So, because terrorists do not abide by the provisions of the Geneva Conventions, they are not protected by the provisions thereof.

A group doesn't get protection under the Geneva Conventions if they go around suicide bombing public places, beheading civilian hostages, and mass-murdering children.

International backlash is the reason we don't take the gloves off against terrorist groups. Terrorists like to hide among civilians so there would be a lot of collateral damage and that would just create more terrorists. The Geneva Conventions aren't holding us back.

edit on 12/14/2014 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
treat ISIS as criminals not combatants.

the Iraqi army does not have to abide by the Geneva Convention as ISIS are criminal invaders.

If a country is invaded by invaders not part of armed forces of another country parts of the Geneva Convention do not apply.

ISIS beheads their captives, including non-combatants. They massacre civilians. They do not behave in accordance with the accepted rules of warfare. And, they represent no established state or government.
These are war crimes under the Geneva Convention.

This is why ISIS calls them self the Islamic state.

By violating every tenet of international law regarding treatment of prisoners, terrorist groups forfeit any entitlement to protection under the Geneva Conventions. U.S. forces would be within their legal rights to treat captured ISIS members as they did Nazi saboteurs during World War II—trial by military commission and execution by firing squad.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I'm probably going to get alot of hate for this. I am starting to agree with my father. He said the U.S. pick one of these countries harboring/aiding ISIS, Al-Qaeda state they have 24 hours to turn over/expel all known members or die. When the clock runs out glass bowl them, and pick another one and repeat. After the first one or two problem solved

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: jholt5638
I'm probably going to get alot of hate for this. I am starting to agree with my father. He said the U.S. pick one of these countries harboring/aiding ISIS, Al-Qaeda state they have 24 hours to turn over/expel all known members or die. When the clock runs out glass bowl them, and pick another one and repeat. After the first one or two problem solved

You would indeed deserve a lot of hate for indiscriminately killing millions of innocent folk, and have no cause for complaint when someone smuggles a nuclear device into your beacon of freedom and turns you and your loved ones into ash, quite frankly.

Learn to be human.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I don't think we can stop, at this point, what our government does unofficially. Under the guise of national security or whatever else it may be. But I feel that as a people it's important to reject such practices.

We elect them but we are not them. If that makes sense.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: jholt5638

It is the Conventions that make us "sheepdogs" rather than "wolves" to be honest.

I keep reading posts that ISIS/ISIL are not protected by Geneva/Hague and all I can think to say is that is not what the rules are for IMO.

The rules for warfare are not so much a "playbook" that determine how a particular enemy feels the wrath of our military but rather the restraints we place upon ourselves to retain as much humanity as possible in times of war. They are not to say you must fight this way only that we must fight within these limits.

Glassing a nation would create no solutions and would unite the world against us. Nothing short of Machiavellian "total war" would secure any type of victory for the west in the Middle East. What I mean by that is we do not belong there. The ends do not justify the means.

We were attacked by terrorists on 9/11 and many of us were chomping at the bit to deploy for "pay back". We laid down enough in the first two years to call that blood debt paid ten fold. Yet we stayed there for nine more years and expanded the campaign. There comes a time when even a simpleton has to admit that defense morphed into conquest.

I just cannot stress enough that the "kill them all and God will recognize his own" mentality will stain a person down to their marrow/soul/being. I know. I have seen it and live it. I have see what happens when "$^% the Geneva Convention, they killed ______" becomes the catch phrase in your squad. I know what it's like to have to turn troops away from missions where you are going to be killing people, but have to force them to go on missions to kill dogs (because they value the lives of dogs).

I apologize for the rant I really do.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Only a part of me is starting to agree with this tactic, its very small part where I can see the logic behind it. The human part of me knows better and all it would really do is turn more against the U.S. and in the end lead to even more unneeded loss of life. As far as the U.S. being a beacon of freedom, that is a whole other conversation I'll just say there isn't any real freedom here just the illusion of it.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

I couldn't agree more with we do not belong there, I believe we were duped into this conflict to begin with. Now we've made such a mess over there we are stuck in this quagmire for a good deal longer. In the end violence begets more violence but now we've been fighting so long neither side can back down so it will continue.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join