It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate to cut funding for needy students

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I had to read this a few times because I couldn't believe what I was reading. The new government spending bill that was passed will cut financial aid for needy students that want to attend college.

Congress decided to slash that program by more than 300 million, that money will go towards paying companies that collect student loans.

That's right, congress is cutting financial aid for needy students in order to pay for companies that collect student loan debt.

Congress will cut $303 million in funding for a federal program that allows many of the nation's poorest students attend college, part of a massive spending package to keep the federal government open through the end of the year.

The measure, championed by Senate Democrats, would cut Pell Grants in order to free up money to pay companies that collect student loans on behalf of the Department of Education.

Link

So congress just decided to screw over students in order to pay companies that collect student loan debt, but yet they are also giving Israel 3.1 billion dollars in aid along with 600 million more for their various defense programs.

As much as this bill sucks, it got support from Democrats because they know that with each passing day their leverage will decrease and if they had decided to wait some more this bill would have gotten much much worse.

But hey! Obama watches ESPN while he works out in the morning! Be outraged!

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

This government is worse than a joke at this point. If you are emotionally invested in it making rational decisions, you are going to have a bad time.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Is anyone really surprised by this?
The US govt is easily. he most corrupt useless inefficient organization in the history of this planet. Regardless of political party, the Govt only exists to generate funds for itself so it can cater to the companies and organizations that line it's member's pockets.

For the scumbags, by the scumbags, enabled by the willfully ignorant.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

The $400 billion program to create a fleet of F-35 Joint Strike Fighter jets, which, as The Hill points out, is seven years behind schedule and chronically plagued with misfortunes and incompetencies, could have housed every homeless person in the U.S. with a $600,000 home.

Link

Sticking someone in a nice home doesn't teach them the skills to survive, but the point is clear. Our money is mismanaged by crooks and war barons and unless you are willing to play the game, you better sit back, keep your mouth shut, and just be glad you're alive.

There is no place for free thinkers and self sufficiency. The system focuses on helping those who don't help themselves. All those forties and cigarettes some selfish prick bought with their food stamps could have been used to help someone.

Our "elected" officials just don't have their hearts in the right place. They use our own money to create the illusion that we actually need them.

edit on 13-12-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
It's like the US government doesn't want an educated populace. ...
which seems very counterproductive to having a thriving strong country..

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Double.
edit on 13-12-2014 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

The measure, championed by Senate Democrats, would cut Pell Grants in order to free up money to pay companies that collect student loans on behalf of the Department of Education.

The *IRONY* of failure !!!

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I think both parties have helped mess this country up but the left have been leading it for a long time.

This gov can bail out Wall Street but people who are in debt get stepped on? And the sheep still vote and hope things will be better?

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
This is good news since student loan debt now EXCEEDS 1 trillion dollars.

Americans owe $1.2 trillion in student loans, surpassing credit card and auto loan debt totals

What some people need to realize that intelligence is not determined by how many billions of dollars are thrown at them.

And most public degrees aren't worth the GD paper their are printed on.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

I like how you singled out the US government.

I'm an american, and although I'm pretty sure that other governments have their own problems, the american government is especially corrupt/inept, especially for a first-world nation.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

There is no left, any more, at least not one both relevant in the US, and primarily concerned with economic issues , there hasn't been since neoliberals took over the democratic party. though I guess there is in the

Neoliberals are the Bill-Clinton-era democrats (or most of them, there are a few exceptions) that pushed through NAFTA and free-trade agreements.
though, Reagan and Bush Sr. are Considered by many to be neoliberals as well, as they weren't afraid of free-trade either.
edit on 13-12-2014 by NonsensicalUserName because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I guess it makes sense on one level, why lend people money for an education when there aren`t any jobs for them when they graduate. do we really need any more burger flippers and hotel clerks with 4 year college degrees?

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
It's like the US government doesn't want an educated populace. ...
which seems very counterproductive to having a thriving strong country..

Woodrow Wilson....

“We want one class of persons to have a liberal education, and we want another class of persons, a very much larger class of necessity in every society, to forgo the privilege of a liberal education and fit themselves to perform specific difficult manual tasks.”

They DON'T want an educated populace.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Why is it the fault of the government? If it's something you really want, you will find a way. Once again it is someone else's fault that "I" don't get another free ride. There are other vocations needed and more lucrative. It is the money that I earn that pays for "professional students". I am tired of paying for everyone elses "needs". You get no sympathy from me.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: searching411

I really hope you are not a parent or anything.. not wanting to pay for anyones needs would be problematic there..

On a side note it is interesting how public schools are pretty much doing nothing but preparing kids for college. That it is crammed down the throats of kids to the point of parents trying to prepare children for college well before they even reach grade one! This is problematic as a good majority of those students entering said college will sign onto an assistance just for the fact that their financial situation likely qualifies them for it. It is part of the enrollment process to meet with financial aid and they just run you through the system. If you qualify you can get a grant or loan. It has been a long time for me, but I recall that being the case. I would think people accept this because any reduction of the enormous cost of college is a welcome one. Though I had money set aside when I went they still gave me a small grant or loan of sorts if I remember correctly, So that is just something that occurred as we live in a society that pushes the idea of going to college so hard that if you people go to college just to go through the motions of what is expected.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
This is good news since student loan debt now EXCEEDS 1 trillion dollars.

Americans owe $1.2 trillion in student loans, surpassing credit card and auto loan debt totals

What some people need to realize that intelligence is not determined by how many billions of dollars are thrown at them.

And most public degrees aren't worth the GD paper their are printed on.

I couldn't agree more, but employers today want that piece of paper to hire you.
I know photoshop and illustrator forwards and backwards, but without the paper, no graphic designer will hire me

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Immigration reform is needed to alleviate labor shortages. The technology sector struggles to find qualified candidates. A recent survey conducted by Adecco found there is one unemployed person for every 1.9 vacant STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) jobs in the United States. During the next three years, STEM jobs are expected to grow almost twice as fast as non-STEM jobs . Obama's executive action includes expanding STEM graduates' optional practical training. The time, as well as the number of eligible degree programs, may be increased through regulation. The intent is to keep legal immigrants who were trained in the U.S. and allow them to contribute to our economy rather than be returned home due to the U.S. immigration system.

www.thenewsdispatch.com...

I don't really know what to say
the american gov't and their corporate buddies seem to be giving the american people the shaft really and well either we make it cheaper for our own kids to get this kind of training or our fine gov't will import people and probably give them all the assistance they need to get that training!

new topics

top topics

join