It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geminid Meteor Shower Peaks Dec. 13th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
If watching meteors interests you, there should be a good showing for viewers in North America. The new moon phase is just passing, so it won't wash out the show.

Make hot cocoa. Bundle up. Tell your friends: the best meteor shower of 2004 is about to peak on a long cold December night.

It's the Geminids. The best time to look is Monday night, Dec. 13th. Sky watchers who stay outside for a few hours around midnight can expect to see dozens to hundreds of "shooting stars."

science.nasa.gov...

So far this year my meteor luck has been dismal but I may catch a break in the weather this time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my cold weather gear handy.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I'll be out there tonight Spec.
Looks like fairly clear weather.
And as always, I'll share any photos I manage to get.

Space

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I give up... Allow me to quote my local weather report.

Overcast, cloudy with a chance of snow flurries. low of 27

Take good pics, SD!

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I'll do my best!
Stay tuned to this thread.
I won't be outside for another 3 hours..
So that will be when I would make my first submission...

Space OUT!

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   
What time zone is the 12 am in? Im in Louisville Ky. I would like to see it at its peek, but Im not staying out in that cold untill it starts

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
That is Eastern time, I think, Kidfinger. Bundle up and bring along your favorite warm beverage.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre
That is Eastern time, I think, Kidfinger. Bundle up and bring along your favorite warm beverage.

2 or 3 fleeses and my kalua and coco
Ill be there. Sorry I dont have a digi cam to take photos with for you guys, but Ill be reeeeeeaaaallll discriptive

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Way cool! Thanks for the heads up on this! I will go out in awhile and watch with my dogs. Looks like the west coast will be able to see a lot, that is, fog withstanding.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
im just geting in from watching i was out for about an hour and a half and saw 21 bright ones and numerous dim ones. You still have lots of time to watch them if you want! They are the most amazing little things but you have to be paitent with them you may see one every 5 min or one ever min it depends on how lucky you are. One thing is for certain though the longer you look the more youll see.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I take it this will only be visible in the northern hemisphere. Dammit, a meteor shower is one thing ive longed to see all my life. An awesome event, and spectacular i imagine. Can anyone get some video of it please, share with us southerners?

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 01:27 AM
link   
WOW!

Some really bright ones. Bluish white, greenish.
I got lucky, and caught one, splitting Orion, down the middle.
I came in to get warm, and post this:

I'll dedicate this one to the Aussie in the Other hemisphere..

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Saw a few nice ones here in light polluted LA. 2 were really bright fireballs with long lasting tails - 1 blue/greenish and the other white - rest were just streaks....

Should be a nice show in a really dark location....

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
WOW!

Some really bright ones. Bluish white, greenish.
I got lucky, and caught one, splitting Orion, down the middle.
I came in to get warm, and post this:

I'll dedicate this one to the Aussie in the Other hemisphere..

Thanks Spacedoubt, good onya mate, awesome image !!!

What kind of cam did you use???

[edit on 083131p://17128 by instar]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
spacedoubt comes through again for those of us who are geographically and meteorologically challenged! Thanks for braving the cold and delivering the goods, man. At least we got a dusting of snow out of the deal here.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Spec,

Yeah, it was a little cold..With a mild breeze. It was worth it though.
Thats the brightest one I've ever captured. It left a nice trail afterwards too. Last few astro events it's been quite cloudy, so I really lucked out last night..

instar,

My Camera is a Sony Cybershot dsc-f707. I got that one because it was
less than the really high end models, but had manual settings, and excellent optics..It's about 2 years old now..

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Beautiful picture spacedoubt....That's the exact camera I wanted about 2 years ago!! Damn you!

I've really got to look into this astronomical photography....I'm missing out on a lot here....

new topics

top topics

join