It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interstellar Travel - 2027 announcement (Hypothetical)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Only a little hypothetical here, don't read too much into it?

Let's say that in 2027, several governments (indeed many from "opposing" sides, e.g China, US etc) reveal that they have discovered means of rapid transportation to other stars within a span of 47 lightyears from Earth's star [just a random number, don't look too much into it] (e.g it would only take a few months to get to some Glisean star systems rather than decades at lightspeed).

This means of rapid transportation isn't by conventional hollywood standards however (i.e. starships, drives, sleepers etc). Rather, it's something altogether more sophisticated, which we humans have "discovered" rather than created. Don't ask for specifics, it just is (maybe developed by an advanced race or some quirk in the cosmos etc).

Now, the issue is that the above governments announce in 2027 that it was only "recently" discovered. However, the truth is that it was actually uncovered in late 2014. How would you react to such a cover-up of more than a decade? Would you feel betrayed? Angry? Or would you be more concerned with the discovery than the cover-up itself?

Interested in your thoughts (again, don't look too much into it - just a random fictional hypothetical).

edit on 12-12-2014 by SonoftheFuture because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SonoftheFuture

I'd say I'd be fairly pi$$ed off because you can guarantee they'd have been up to no good.

Not only that but they would have given themselves enough time to work out how to break the news to the general population that this is, in fact, a prison planet and you're going nowhere.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
They kept stealth fighters, the SR-71 reconnaissance aircraft and B2 secret. We have suspicions that there might be larger aircraft like the Aurora. It wouldn't surprise me if there were an entire range of aircraft, transport carriers, long-duration surveillance, orbital vehicles, intersolar and interstellar craft. All that would be possible with one advancement in propulsion or inertia-cancelling systems.
edit on 13-12-2014 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Cover ups are just expected when society is at this stage.

I would be more concerned with the discovery, especially if it turns out more advanced than my own technology.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: SonoftheFuture

I think it's already happening or will happen in a couple of years...
However, I suspect the A.I. to surpass us in thinking and those kind of things, so maybe the "singularity" will occur earlier than your hypothesis... well and when singularity happens... nobody knows what happens next.
As the power of A.I. surpasses the power of human brain, we are probably doomed as there is no way we can beat it and it will not have any evolutionary cause to be friendly or emphatic to humans, so there is a great chance we will be wiped out before any Interstellar-like travel is actually possible.
I guess we'll find out... s00n.
edit on 13-12-2014 by Necrose because: (no reason given)

top topics

join