It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Positive and negative

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
This evening I met one of my friend and we had a discussion about positive and negative,good and bad etc..
So I just wanted to learn more about this topic from bright minds.

The question is , to exist socially or mentally or physically do we have to define, or do we require positive and negative,good and bad,darkness and light?

Would be thankful if you guys could give a precise short and sweet logical explanation either your argument is
'' we require positive and negative, or good and bad, '' or the vice versa ,

I have Read some articles about this topic I think this one is quite interesting but I found it's more theoretical

here is the link plato.stanford.edu...

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: newincubus

First sentence in the link has liberty ill-defined.

Negative liberty is the absence of obstacles, barriers or constraints.

One constraint is how your choices affect others.

Ones own liberties end where other's begin. And the rights of the individual, guaranteed in the Bill of Rights, insures the individuals Rights or Liberties against constraints placed upon them by the State.

Right to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness (among others). Regards individuals and in a greater context, among nations.

Talking about how all that has been corrupted away from the org. meaning is another matter.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

newincubus, it is a complicated (but interesting) question!

I've heard it said before (and it makes sense) that you cannot know true joy unless you've had true sorrow. The one defines the other.

Something else to consider is people's perceptions of good & bad vary, like some people think it's ok to use a certain naturally occurring substance (cryptically mindful of T & C here) while others flat out say... Illegal, so it's bad.

Some will say lying to preserve another's feelings is a good thing, others say lying is ALWAYS bad.

So, like I said... it's complicated, but interesting to ponder nonetheless. Good thread discussion idea!

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

We are bound in duality, only through withholding judgement can we rise above duality to unity.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

The question is , to exist socially or mentally or physically do we have to define, or do we require positive and negative,good and bad,darkness and light?

This is a very subjective question, and therefore, the answers are going to be as well. The concepts you list are all subjective, whether you live in a group, or as an individual by yourself. I think the first thing we must understand is...

Whether the choice or consequences are bound to be defined as cause and effect, or opposing forces, depends on the individual, or the group, depending on your social situation. So do we need duality to exist? No. But both individuals and societies have a tendency to define what is desirable and undesirable as such. Do we require negative and positive to exist? No. But our social evolution has certainly ingrained those concepts in our psyche.

Sorry if that seems a bit convoluted. It was the best way I could think to describe it at the moment.
edit on 12/12/2014 by Klassified because: Reword

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

a reply to: new_here

a reply to: Iamschist

a reply to: Klassified

Thank you , you guys had helped me to solve a very difficult puzzle in different perspective.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Gonna share your solution to the puzzle?

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: new_here

My solution was a grey area in my mind until you guys had given me some light, now it's very clear.

(1) We are bound in duality, only through withholding judgement can we rise above duality to unity.

Because

(2) you cannot know true joy unless you've had true sorrow.

so for that reason , we have to make judgement , have to take decision . good decisions make us feel good , bad decisions make us feel bad ,for this reason we can say negative and positive exists , but positive and negative consequences are due to our own judgement

(3) you are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Liberty is usually a legal term (what a government allows you to do), the general term is freedom.

Here is my simple definition:

Freedom - not forcing one's will upon another; live and let live.

new topics

top topics

join