It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Cop Caught a Grandma Stealing Eggs... So He Bought Them for Her!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Never mind....

edit on 14-12-2014 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: MrLimpet

This was posted in another thread. For God's sake don't get them riled up about it all over again lol

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Write the insurers? If law enforcement agencies are not capable of finding coverage for the testing of steroids how is it then we are to rely on their good judgement when dealing with the public. Ultimately the tax payer is paying for the testing, we only ask that departments find something of less value to cut from their budgets in order that we have some measure of protection.

To make safety available for all, then there really should be national standards.

Political leanings should never be weighed into policing.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: MrLimpet

Oh my.....don't get me started.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Witness2008

It's apples and oranges dude. My department can't afford to outfit officers in the best body armor available. Does that mean I have bad judgement because the budget doesn't allow my agency to give me a top level vest? Hardly. Does an officer on steroids have worse judgement than I do? Maybe. Possibly. Probably? But to tie in an inability to overnight find funding for something to judgement is a bit of a leap. Judgement doesn't make money appear out of thin air.

You asked my opinion on making testing a federal law. I'm not a federal cop. I'm not a federal agent. If testing is enforced at the local level, why do we need a federal law for it? You're right, when I pull somebody over it shouldn't matter what my political beliefs are. But when you ask me a question about passing laws, that's a political question.

National standards are great. But it doesn't change the fact that you can't police Detroit the same way you police BFE Iowa, population 67.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Man, I see what you're saying and I agree with you on some of it, but look at what is going on in the MSM these days.

To get our attention off of the police brutality cases, to get our eyes/ears out of places like Ferguson, and Cleveland, they are INUNDATING the media with these fluffy feel good police acts. Maybe they help someone out, maybe they don't, but I'm not going to just buy into this "good-guy cop buys eggs for shoplifter" story. The what-if's I put down aren't unrealistic, it's not like I'm going out on a limb here. I'm sure when that cop rolled up he had in the back of his mind that he was going to be making an arrest. If the store didn't want to press charges, why was he called in the first place?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Ensinger23

Most corporate stores have a policy to report a theft to the police so they can have the incident documented officially.

Also, a lot of times when a store does not want to pursue charges for the theft, they do request the police to trespass (warning/non criminal) them from the property.

I have responded to multiple cases where the store calls the police because they want to press charges and then halfway through the paperwork then recant.

edit on 14-12-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Ensinger23

Torq answered your questions pretty well. I answered many of the same types of calls that he outlined.

I will also point out that its "that time of year." The media is going to put out these kinds of stories because it makes people feel good. If this was, say, June, I would perhaps feel otherwise. But I don't see anything nefarious or conspiratorial about the media putting stories out like this in December. I feel like it happens pretty much every year around now. I'm sure the next time some idiot cop pops somebody the media will jump on it just like always.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I will try once again to delve into what is lacking in police training in legal, social and moral aspects. Legally speaking and shooting to kill, they seem to have it down pat. However, morally and socially, I ask for forward thinking here, in that, I would like to see police officers having a team of professionals, yes, in psychology, sociology etc. that they can resource for advice when they are dealing with this type of situation. I also think they need training in how to shoot not to kill.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

How does any of that relate to the OP?

And fyi, we aren't trained to "shoot to kill." That has been addressed repeatedly. If you want cops to be trained to shoot guns out of people's hands and only ever wound people, send us to Hollywood because that's the only place it's feasible.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

How does any of that relate to the OP?

And fyi, we aren't trained to "shoot to kill." That has been addressed repeatedly. If you want cops to be trained to shoot guns out of people's hands and only ever wound people, send us to Hollywood because that's the only place it's feasible.

It has everything relate to the OP, you just can't get beyond your conditioning.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Now now no need to sling attempts at insults.

Cop buys eggs for granny = cops need access to shrinks and to shoot Hollywood style.

Yep, I see how that all ties in there

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Now now no need to sling attempts at insults.

Cop buys eggs for granny = cops need access to shrinks and to shoot Hollywood style.

Yep, I see how that all ties in there

No you don't, that's the problem.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

OK, if you want to go down this off topic road, what are you going to do about what you are saying?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

OK, if you want to go down this off topic road, what are you going to do about what you are saying?

I don't understand what you mean by off topic road, can you explain further?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

This has nothing to do with police training, whatever. YOU have taken it here. So I ask again. If it's that important to you, what are you doing about advancing what you are saying?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

K well now you're playing ignorant, the victim, and holier than thou all at once. Have fun with that game dude.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

This has nothing to do with police training, whatever. YOU have taken it here. So I ask again. If it's that important to you, what are you doing about advancing what you are saying?

I believe it does, because the officer in this whole scenario really did not know how to handle the situation because he was was left to his own individual reasoning to deal with...which amounted to buying her a dozen eggs and saying good night. I am simply advocating for forward thinking, in that, why not create a professional team whereby this officer could use them as a tool to help him deal with his stressful, unpredictable and usually off the beat dealings with society at large?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

What about this whole situation tells you that he had no idea how to handle this?

He can't arrest her because the victim refused to press charges and he didn't witness the crime. She needed food, he bought it for her. It's NOT his job to do that. It's NOT his job to find social services for her. It's NOT his job to ensure that she gets those services. No amount of "forward thinking" is going to change the fact that what isn't his job isn't his job, or that the victim declined to pursue charges, or that he bought her eggs.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   

What about this whole situation tells you that he had no idea how to handle this?

He can't arrest her because the victim refused to press charges and he didn't witness the crime. She needed food, he bought it for her. It's NOT his job to do that. It's NOT his job to find social services for her. It's NOT his job to ensure that she gets those services. No amount of "forward thinking" is going to change the fact that what isn't his job isn't his job, or that the victim declined to pursue charges, or that he bought her eggs.

I believe it should be his job to act not only legally, but provide the public with information/expertise on social assistance and act morally. If he then chose to be altruistic and provide additional assistance, that is his personal decision as a member of society. The point here is that buying her eggs to keep her and her family in food for one more day really does not solve the problem.
edit on 20-12-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join