It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Cop Caught a Grandma Stealing Eggs... So He Bought Them for Her!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

That's NOT what I'm saying. I'm saying this cop went above duty to do what most(cop or not) wouldn't. Does news have to be bad all the time?

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Right, if he had proper official established training in social situations such as these, he should have contacted social services immediately to acquire long-term assistance for this woman and her family, and he certainly has the right as a charitable person to buy her food if he wanted to. To me it appears he did not know what to do at the time...only later was it discussed and action taken.

He did what HE thought was right at the time, and from his point of view, and he engaged the lady in a humane responsive way, not an automaton then.
We all see how many officers behave officially, and it's nothing like that. I'm glad though you have such faith in social services throughout I don't, and the record is not so good, even though they are well trained. I'm actually glad too that they discussed contacting social services first, before contacting them.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

Sorry to get off topic but that is not a tank.

It is an armored personal carrier.

Something that anyone can buy if they have the money.

Here is just one company that offers such things for citizen purchase.

www.thearmourgroup.com...

By the way you can own a tank as a citizen too.

bearingarms.com...

edit on 12-12-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
You have a very vivid imagination about who's argument is thin.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
This whole thread turned into something I never would have thought possible. And it's a good indicator of why our society is screwed.

A person saw another person in need and extended a compassionate hand to help that person. Instead of everyone just being happy that somebody did something nice to somebody else, we have a bunch of people ...

1. denigrating the act and the person who performed it;
  2. second guessing the appropriateness of the act;
  3. judging the one who committed the act based on his race or profession;
  4. or insisting that the act had been better left up to government instead of performed by a caring individual.

Do you folks not see how sick that is?

Man, there are some sad, screwed up people in the world. An I'm not talking about people who help other people in need.

edit on 2014 12 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
This whole thread turned into something I never would have thought possible. And it's a good indicator of why our society is screwed.

A person saw another person in need and extended a compassionate hand to help that person. Instead of everyone just being happy that somebody did something nice to somebody else, we have a bunch of people ...

4. or insisting that the act had been better left up to government instead of performed by a caring individual.

Man, there are some sad, screwed up people in the world. An I'm not talking about people who help other people in need.

Well said that man
sometimes it's like 1984 is real round here.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

The responses here only mirror the general feeling in the world for distrust of "Law Enforcement". Sadly the term "To Serve and Protect" has been long forgotten. He actually did not do his job per his job description.

We have political and corporate idiots creating new laws, and more than enough armed, mediocre citizens enforcing them.

Your example of the good cop is like one fresh drop of water in a stagnant bucket of water. It ain't gonna change a thing.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
would he have done the same thing for a black teen?

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

Well it's a cop, so yea. Lots of folks here are incapable of not railing against any and every thing any cop does, regardless of what it is.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

edit on 13-12-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: AgentShillington

originally posted by: intrepid

So buying groceries is a cops job now?

Arguments getting pretty thin if your stance is now resting on whether or not the cop was on the job while he did this.

No. You said he was "just doing his job". It's not a cops job to spend his own money to buy groceries for someone. THAT is unspinnable.

Right, if he had proper official established training in social situations such as these, he should have contacted social services immediately to acquire long-term assistance for this woman and her family, and he certainly has the right as a charitable person to buy her food if he wanted to. To me it appears he did not know what to do at the time...only later was it discussed and action taken.

Why should he be trained in all of that when.....it's not his job? None of it is. It's not law enforcement's job to contact social services and acquire "immediate assistance" (which by the way, there's nothing "immediate" about it). I'm not sure what "proper official established training" you're referring to here.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
would he have done the same thing for a black teen?

Would he have not?

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
[sarcasm]Great story FOX![/sarcasm] Let's not forget that HAD Dollar General wanted to press charges, this wouldn't have ended up this way. She'd have been arrested, and if she fought, tazed and possibly choked to death. It's great that the other officers got together to bring her more food, but like I said, had the corporation wanted to press charges she'd not have been let go.

Not to mention it was PROBABLY only filmed because she was an African-American in contact with a white police officer and they wanted to get everything on film.

Either he knew he was being filmed and did this as a publicity stunt, or he is a just a kind cop who was not FORCED by a corporation pressing charges to arrest this woman. Not all cops are bad, but let's not make this out as the charity case it is. Dollar General is the "hero" in this story, as if they wanted her arrested, this would not be the fluff piece Fox ran with.

edit on 12/13/2014 by Ensinger23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Ensinger23

Let's not forget that they DIDN'T press charges, so nothing you said happened, and what happened, happened.

For somebody who's screaming about what a non story this should/could have been, you certainly don't see anything wrong with creating your own non story.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Thats the right message isnt it, DONT STEAL!!

unless you are an old lady then its fine, in fact so fine i'll buy you whatever you were trying to steal.

not good.

throw her ass in jail.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Kind of hard to "throw her ass in jail" when the store declines to press charges. The officer buying eggs for her is really not at all related to him not "throwing her ass in jail."

Did you read ANY of the comments?

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
i think its cool the cop did this for her but i am wondering what she was planning to do with her buck and change.

i mean, if you have hungry people at home, thats enough to get like 10 bags of ramen

maybe that was her cigarette money

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

What non-story am I creating? The corporation didn't press charges. That's the only reason this woman wasn't arrested. That is FACT, not speculation. This story would be completely different, or not covered at all, if they had. Just another black shoplifter arrested by our valiant police force. That's MY point, and just because you want to keep those sparkles in your eye that Fox has placed there doesn't mean what I said isn't true. The manager at the DG should be getting the attention here. Sure the cop bought her a carton of eggs, and sure the other cops helped but this is AFTER the initial attention they received.

Had that manager said, "I want charges pressed", this woman would not have walked away. Bottom line, and nothing anybody here says will change that. She got lucky. The cop was a nice guy who wasn't forced to arrest her, and made it into this fluff piece we have all read here.

If you want to go on believing that just because it didn't happen we should pretend it never COULD have happened, that's your choice. I'm not buying it, and I try to look between the lines in everything I read.
edit on 12/13/2014 by Ensinger23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Ensinger23

You're creating a non-story by pursuing your "what if" scenario so hard. While at the same time calling what actually happened a non-story. Which is hysterical, really.

You're right, had they said yep we want to press charges, she would've been arrested. But...they didn't. So all the "what ifs" you can come up with don't really mean jack, do they? Because what happened, happened. I mean hell, since you want to bang on about "what ifs" how bout this: what if the store did want to press charges and when the officer got there, he looked at them like "you've got to be kidding me" and they changed their mind? I mean it didn't happen, but we should scream about how it COULD have happened, and try to focus the attention on that instea of what DID happen. Y'know, because like, it still could have.

I know you hate foxnews and all, but in the interest of full disclosure I saw an article elsewhere before seeing this thread

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I've wanted to say this on posts like this before and never have, but here goes: I've done things like this too. I could barely afford rent at a 900 dollar a month apartment when i was making barely over a thousand a month, and i would still, on occasion, give homeless people food, i've given food to children i found eating out of a dumpster when i didn't even have a job or a home. I live in a different place and do not come across such scenes very often anymore, but i would help if i could when i did happen to see it.

Where's my news story? There won't be one, and i don't need one, because as a decent citizen I expect it from myself. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm not asking for anyone to clap there hands for me. Human decency is a fantastic and powerful thing, and there shouldn't need to be an agenda behind it, not to say that this man had one, but the people covering it surely did.

Oh yay, he didn't taze a starving old woman. What a hero. Only in 'Merica.
edit on 13-12-2014 by Bundy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join