It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Cop Caught a Grandma Stealing Eggs... So He Bought Them for Her!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: AgentShillington

So buying groceries is a cops job now?

Arguments getting pretty thin if your stance is now resting on whether or not the cop was on the job while he did this.
edit on 12-12-2014 by AgentShillington because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentShillington

Arguments getting pretty thin if your stance is now resting on whether or not the cop was on the job while he did this.

No. You said he was "just doing his job". It's not a cops job to spend his own money to buy groceries for someone. THAT is unspinnable.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

No. You said he was "just doing his job". It's not a cops job to spend his own money to buy groceries for someone. THAT is unspinnable.

Right, if he had proper official established training in social situations such as these, he should have contacted social services immediately to acquire long-term assistance for this woman and her family, and he certainly has the right as a charitable person to buy her food if he wanted to. To me it appears he did not know what to do at the time...only later was it discussed and action taken.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

No bacon?

Wotta gonif.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I try to keep a open mind. I know that there are good cops and bad cops, good soldiers and bad soldiers, good doctors and bad doctors, basically there are good people and bad people. I am happy with my local Po-Po, but not so much with their Brothers and Sisters in Blue north of me in Cleveland. I don't always succeed, but I do try to not paint with a broad brush.

I see this as one individual trying to do some good. No agenda, just a helping hand.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Do you want him to cook the eggs for her to?

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv
If we'd spend a little more on the elderly and less on Police Tanks this wouldn't be necessary.

PR and nothing more.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

I try to keep a open mind. I know that there are good cops and bad cops, good soldiers and bad soldiers, good doctors and bad doctors, basically there are good people and bad people. I am happy with my local Po-Po, but not so much with their Brothers and Sisters in Blue north of me in Cleveland. I don't always succeed, but I do try to not paint with a broad brush.

I see this as one individual trying to do some good. No agenda, just a helping hand.

What I would like to see is research into how police officers should best handle the desperate, mentally ill, youth, etc., with established proven solutions and procedures, and not have to rely on individual officers' questionable decision-making when factors such as job stress, desensitization, personality disorders, inability to handle power, etc., come in to play.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
If we'd spend a little more on the elderly and less on Police Tanks this wouldn't be necessary.

PR and nothing more.

Prove to me that the Police have Tanks.

Pics or it didn't happen.

I have yet to see one.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

Do you want him to cook the eggs for her to?

The moral obligations of a police department should be addressed in their vision and mission statements — what they want to become and how they will act. A police department may announce that they are committed to being responsive to the community and practice collaborative and team-based leadership — neither of which are mandated by law. But no matter what they say, it is what they do that matters.

improvingpolice.wordpress.com...

I am all for team work.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Would I like to see LEOs as mentally stable people? Yea, sure. But they are people too, just like the rest of us, with a stressful job to boot. It takes a strong personality and mind to maintain the mindset of when they first sign on. I imagine, that, like the rest of us, burnout takes its toll. It happens to all of us.

When I realized that I was burned out, and cynical of my service in the military...I got out.

I think that if people were more honest with themselves and realize that the majority of the problems they have are a result of their own actions, we'd have a lot less problems in society.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Would I like to see LEOs as mentally stable people? Yea, sure. But they are people too, just like the rest of us, with a stressful job to boot. It takes a strong personality and mind to maintain the mindset of when they first sign on. I imagine, that, like the rest of us, burnout takes its toll. It happens to all of us.

When I realized that I was burned out, and cynical of my service in the military...I got out.

I think that if people were more honest with themselves and realize that the majority of the problems they have are a result of their own actions, we'd have a lot less problems in society.

That's another discussion, how soldiers and police officers are left to their own devices on the job suffering with burnout, post-traumatic stress etc., without anyone paying attention.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Implied in that statement is that police are different from everyone else because they lie. By extension, nobody else lies. Only police are bad.

Man, folks get so stupidly sidetracked. Yeah, cops lie. So does everyone else. But some people (cop included) sometimes do good stuff.

Again, this is policing done right. If we had more of this and less of choke holds and tazers and corruption, things would be better.

Can anybody disagree with that?

So, it's a good thing to encourage those who do right as much as it is a good thing to hold accountable those who do wrong.

Sheesh...

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

I am not really comprehending what you are saying and I don't really understand your interpretation of the article.

What do you mean his decision making was flawed?

I think what InTheLight means is that the government should take care of everybody and everybody's needs. I think the person is essentially saying that it is wrong or unproductive or immoral for individuals to help other individuals, and that we should leave that up to social services or whatever they call it.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

I am not really comprehending what you are saying and I don't really understand your interpretation of the article.

What do you mean his decision making was flawed?

I think what InTheLight means is that the government should take care of everybody and everybody's needs. I think the person is essentially saying that it is wrong or unproductive or immoral for individuals to help other individuals, and that we should leave that up to social services or whatever they call it.

That's not what I was pointing out.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold

PR and nothing more.

Prove to me that the Police have Tanks.

Pics or it didn't happen.

I have yet to see one.

I was exaggerating a bit, but I figured you'd catch the drift.

edit on 12-12-2014 by ugmold because: typo

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

The woman was waiting on her disability money and her daughter's welfare money to come in. They were down to a little bit of bread. Even if he took her to go get assistance, how long would it kick in? At least this way, with him buying the eggs, he made sure the family got to eat that night.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

If he -makes- it his job it is. He didn't do this as Joe Citizen. He did this as Officer Joe Citizen. His job is to Protect and Serve. Am I saying he did a bad thing? Nope. I just don't understand why I should care that someone decided to be a decent human being, when that SHOULD be the standard.

Again...

Why is this newsworthy that someone did their job? This is what happens when people that give participation trophies to their kids decide to start giving them to everyone else.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I just don't understand why I should care that someone decided to be a decent human being, when that SHOULD be the standard.

That's the point. It SHOULD be but it isn't. This dude was a cops and a caring human.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I just don't understand why I should care that someone decided to be a decent human being, when that SHOULD be the standard.

That's the point. It SHOULD be but it isn't. This dude was a cops and a caring human.

You can't be saying that this is newsworthy because this cop is a decent human being and that is rare amongst cops, are you?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join