It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Cop Caught a Grandma Stealing Eggs... So He Bought Them for Her!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Anyone else notice this "granny" appears to be in her mid 30s? So what's this officer going to do in an hour when she and her grandkids have eaten the dozen eggs? Maybe he can run out for subs or something next. Is he going to feed these people forever? They're going to be hungry again very soon. I'm going with meaningless PR stunt.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: eriktheawful

The media right now is doing a great job making everyone who is a LEO look bad, and hammering into the public's mind that anyone wearing a badge must be scum to be afraid of.

I mean it's not like the media is forcing the cops to do the evens they are reporting on.
Yes they spin and exaggerate but doesn't mean the event that is being reported didn't happen.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

And that is not what I said, is it now?

I never said the events never happened.

But I did say that's about all they report.

And I did say that it gets eaten up and respewed here on ATS.

Where again, it gets eaten up.

People LOVE to have someone that they can hate or blame all their problems on.

And the media knows this. It's what gets them readers and viewers.

And even though your average ATS member KNOWS that, and KNOWS that it's doing nothing to help figure out a solution, but instead breeds hate........

...they still eat it up, even on here.

I'd say that is pretty much the definition of dramatic irony.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: eriktheawful

I agree with everything you just said Erik...
Especially about ATS members buying into the Divide & Conquer strategy.

My opinion isn't influenced by the media in this case, & maybe I did jump the gun a little, but it doesn't really sway my opinion that this could possibly be PR...
Social media & viral news is just as agenda driven as anything else, imo.

Fair enough it may just be the officers opinion, & he may well be right & I could be far off base in my assumption.

More on topic, I think what he did is exceptional, I wouldn't try to take that away from him.
I just have my doubts about hundreds of thousands doing this everyday.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Stars from me!

My respect level just increased for you. Takes a strong person to admit they may have jumped the gun (I've done it many times myself).

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I am not really comprehending what you are saying and I don't really understand your interpretation of the article.

What do you mean his decision making was flawed?

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

I am not really comprehending what you are saying and I don't really understand your interpretation of the article.

What do you mean his decision making was flawed?

On Wednesday, Tarrant police delivered two truckloads of groceries to the woman, who on Saturday was caught stealing five eggs from the nearby Dollar General. Instead of arresting Johnson, Tarrant Police Officer William Stacy bought her a carton of eggs and sent her home with the promise to never shoplift again.

www.al.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

What part do you feel was flawed?

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

What part do you feel was flawed?

It reads that instead of arresting her, he helped get the charges dropped, bought her eggs then sent her on her way home with a promise not to shoplift again. When he returned to the station and he and others discussed it, is was then determined that social services were required, which was in the form of toys and food many days later. The officer's decision-making was flawed as he should not have just bought the eggs and sent her on her way, but to find social assistance immediately.
edit on 12-12-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: AgentShillington
What I am asking is, why is this newsworthy?

Because it shows something that the media is neglecting for their own purposes. Police violence sells. Just look at the threads here. Gotta keep that gravy train pumpin.

So it's newsworthy because it isn't on the news? Since when is simply doing ones job a newsworthy event?

In related news...

Mailman delivered my mail today!
Cashier gave me correct change!
Millions of Americans go to work today and do their job without incident!

This is the last time I am going to try to post until the timeout issue is resolved. It's pretty annoying.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

So buying groceries is a cops job now?

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

glamorized and plotted news story that is so clearly made in reaction to stories about police brutality

Same could be said about the media glamorizing and solely focusing on police brutality.  How can the media be so untrusted in this instant yet whole heartedly trusted in others. Do we get to pick and choose? 

Guilty by association is not a wise form of judging, especially if the good cops needed to fix these bad instances are thrown out with the bad, Who's left, hate to get conspiracy on you, but the government. If little brother (local police) can't keep the peace, then big brother will have to.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

hundreds of thousands of officers everyday across the United States do the same exact thing.

Talk about bullsh*t...
Where did he get that information from?
From his arse, that's where.

And you pulled you're opinion from where? More than likely your arse...that's where and about as relevant.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Well the store is who decides to press charges. I am sure store management felt that it was unnecessary.

It is not technically the job of the police officer to locate that assistance for her.

She is an adult and can seek out social assistance if she wanted to. I am sure she was aware of the local food banks and churches in her area.

Matter of fact I believe she was receiving welfare and disability.

That being said I am glad the officers did eventually help her with obtaining further assistance.

Although it is not necessarily my job to do so, I too have helped refer people to assistance programs.

I personally don't think there was any flawed decision making though.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Well the store is who decides to press charges. I am sure store management felt that it was unnecessary.

It is not technically the job of the police officer to locate that assistance for her.

She is an adult and can seek out social assistance if she wanted to. I am sure she was aware of the local food banks and churches in her area.

Matter of fact I believe she was receiving welfare and disability.

That being said I am glad the officers did eventually help her with obtaining further assistance.

Although it is not necessarily my job to do so, I too have helped refer people to assistance programs.

I personally don't think there was any flawed decision making though.

Well, then we disagree as his decision to ask her to promise never to shoplift again and send her on her way, is flawed reasoning in my books.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

But the decision to press charges for shoplifting falls 100% on the store.

They either sign a theft affidavit and the officer makes an arrest, or they sign a decline to prosecute and the suspect walks.

Would you have felt better if the officer didn't buy her eggs?

edit on 12-12-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
Well, then we disagree as his decision to ask her to promise never to shoplift again and send her on her way, is flawed reasoning in my books.

Whatever happened to good people being good regardless of their status in society and accepting others word as their bond? Your reasoning is flawed in my opinion

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Difference is I admit it...
& I have nothing to gain from having such an opinion.
I've also admitted I jumped the gun, you should keep up.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

They either sign a theft affidavit and the officer makes an arrest, or they sign a decline to prosecute and the suspect walks.

I think ITL would have preferred that the good officer rather beat the woman down and Taze her. This officer doesn't fit in ITL's mind. So it has to be wrong obviously.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Difference is I admit it...
& I have nothing to gain from having such an opinion.
I've also admitted I jumped the gun, you should keep up.

Just signed in...still catching up!

My apologies.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

I think ITL would have preferred that the good officer rather beat the woman down and Taze her. This officer doesn't fit in ITL's mind. So it has to be wrong obviously.

You need to go back to the beginning of this thread and read all articles linked and posts, because you don't understand what I am trying to point out here.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

no worries pal.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join