It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Cop Caught a Grandma Stealing Eggs... So He Bought Them for Her!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

YOU made a claim as well. Prove it.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

No I said I believe he is talking sh*t...
& it's being used as a PR stunt...

It's an opinion, not a claim.

Him stating that hundreds of thousands do the same is a claim...
Me not believing him is an opinion...

There is a difference.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

So one can throw out an opinion and not back it up? I showed the logic in this just due to the numbers. No logic to back up your "opinion".

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soobaz
a reply to: eriktheawful

What you described is very similar to what I would see in my community. I think people forget that cops are all different people, not only individually but within different communities. A cop in a rural and low crime area doesn't deal with the same things a cop in a high pop and high crime area has to deal with on a daily basis.

According to this article, he paid for the eggs then sent her on her way with a promise not to do it again. There is something inherently wrong with this reasoning.

www.al.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Police lie... All the time...
& only the naive would disagree...
There's my logic.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Police lie... All the time...
& only the naive would disagree...
There's my logic opinion.

There. That's more accurate. No logic there.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Some Police lie... That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

Edit: Poor form from myself.
edit on 12-12-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

So, according to you, if a cop pulls you over for speeding, they should throw the book at you. No warning, just ticket and fine.

Cop sees two people having a heated argument and threatening each other (that's actually called "Assault"), the cop should just cuff both of their rear ends and toss them in jail, instead of maybe trying to get them to calm down, and go home?

That we should not let LEOs use their judgement, but instead make them into good little robots who's job is to simply hunt people down who may be breaking the law, and make sure that in every single case the people are charge, fined, hauled off to jail?

That instead of being more involved in their communities, they should simply be the force that everyone lives in fear of?

Sorry, but that is what it sounds like your advocating (and is actually what seems to be going on with LEOs now).

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 12/12/2014 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

link   

He did. I'm just saying that the station did some things after. I do agree with your post in that they could use some new training for certain situations like this. I think it's more the intent is there, they obviously do want to help. But he did talk to the store which opted to not press charges before he talked to the woman.

link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

I thought it was against T&Cs to alter someone's post?

But seeing as you sympathise with all Law enforcement I'm not surprised you are abusing your power.

Poor form.

Weak sauce man. Your whole post is there.

Some Police lie... That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

THAT I agree with.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Weak sauce man. Your whole post is there.

I agree, please accept my apology.

THAT I agree with.

So then I was using logic, be fair man I'm not accusing all law enforcement of being evil murderous scum like some people on this site do...
I couldn't disagree more with that bull...

But what this guy said is highly dubious especially in the times we are living in...
Imo, Its convenient timing and sounds like hyperbolic PR.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soobaz

He did. I'm just saying that the station did some things after. I do agree with your post in that they could use some new training for certain situations like this. I think it's more the intent is there, they obviously do want to help. But he did talk to the store which opted to not press charges before he talked to the woman.

I do commend him for opting to assist, but he really did not do the right thing in the end, which was his personal bad judgement being used. I would prefer to see continuity of police procedures/policy across the board, if you will, in handling social misdemeanours. I also feel they need counseling for desensitization, because even though I sympathize with what they have to face and deal with on a daily basis, I know full well what desensitization looks like...and perhaps post-traumatic stress may also play a role with some questionable decisions some officers make.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

It is not an officer's job to buy a shoplifter eggs.

He went above his duties to effect a positive change.

edit on 12-12-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Does anybody here other than me actually know a cop? Lots of broad strokes of generalization happening.

Yup!

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

You mean like all the bad PR the media is peddling isn't?

As stated before: Bad news sells. Good news doesn't.

The media right now is doing a great job making everyone who is a LEO look bad, and hammering into the public's mind that anyone wearing a badge must be scum to be afraid of.

This cop may really feel that his fellow officers that do good do number that many. It's his opinion.

Look how fast YOU jumped on that and decided that the whole thing must be PR.

The effect the media is having on John Q. Public is seen quite well. Even here on ATS where most member scream about not trusting the media.

And yet, here they are, gobbling up every bad thing they can find about cops. Making posts after post about how all cops are bad and racist.

There's some very deep irony here.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Good on this cop for doing this, this is protecting and serving.

Hope this cop is also willing to cross the blue line when needed as well.

edit on thFri, 12 Dec 2014 13:23:28 -0600America/Chicago1220142880 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

The media right now is doing a great job making everyone who is a LEO look bad, and hammering into the public's mind that anyone wearing a badge must be scum to be afraid of.

I mean it's not like the media is forcing the cops to do the evens they are reporting on.
Yes they spin and exaggerate but doesn't mean the event that is being reported didn't happen.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

What do you mean social misdemeanors?

How do you think the police should handle them?

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I agree with everything you just said Erik...
Especially about ATS members buying into the Divide & Conquer strategy.

My opinion isn't influenced by the media in this case, & maybe I did jump the gun a little, but it doesn't really sway my opinion that this could possibly be PR...
Social media & viral news is just as agenda driven as anything else, imo.

Fair enough it may just be the officers opinion, & he may well be right & I could be far off base in my assumption.

More on topic, I think what he did is exceptional, I wouldn't try to take that away from him.
I just have my doubts about hundreds of thousands doing this everyday.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

What do you mean social misdemeanors?

How do you think the police should handle them?

That's for the community and policing leaders to explore and make recommendations, but I believe 'on the fly' decisions should at least be discussed with their superiors in the station at the moment it happens, not after the fact. As in this case, when he returned to the station, it was discussed that his decision-making was flawed, but it was good that they followed up and corrected it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join