It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Cop Caught a Grandma Stealing Eggs... So He Bought Them for Her!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
It's a no win. Arrest her, and you've further victimized a hungry old lady. Buy her some eggs and let her go, and it's insufficient.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

Did that officer lynch someone? Did he unjustly murder someone? Or are you just prejudging him?

By the way feel free to participate in one of many threads that are in the Posse Comitatus forum about police brutality as I am sure you do.

This is not one of those threads.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Come on, man. The rhetoric is tiresome. Police have plenty of discretion in how they interact with the community. If you believe every offense worthy of citation and arrest is acted on, you probably haven't been on too many ridealongs.

originally posted by: intrepid

Are you saying that because he's a LEO he's automatically guilty of institutional racism? That this wasn't an act of kindness?

Nope on both accounts. What I am asking is, why is this newsworthy?
edit on 12-12-2014 by AgentShillington because: This timeout problem needs to be addressed.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Watch here,
Nice story.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

Did that officer lynch someone? Did he unjustly murder someone? Or are you just prejudging him?

By the way feel free to participate in one of many threads that are in the Posse Comitatus forum about police brutality as I am sure you do.

This is not one of those threads.

Nope, this is a thread where we congratulate a cop for doing his job without killing someone.

Great job!

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
Watch here,
Nice story.

Dang it! the timing out lark is starting again...anyone else?

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
If the police were truly serving the public they would discuss dropping the charges with the merchant and immediately assist her with social assistance, not send her home with a promise never to shoplift again. What kind of reasoning it that? I think their training is flawed, and they are given much too much individual (personality/emotions gets in the way) power.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Someone filmed it and posted it on the internet. Other people on the internet thought it was worth sharing beyond that. It went a little viral. People made it news. Why? Because it reminds us that there are still compassionate people. There's still a glimmer of hope in dark times. It reminds us that people are human and not all monsters. There's nothing wrong with that being news. It doesn't take away from the serious issues.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentShillington
What I am asking is, why is this newsworthy?

Because it shows something that the media is neglecting for their own purposes. Police violence sells. Just look at the threads here. Gotta keep that gravy train pumpin.

link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig
Some people are miseable c#nts and see no good in anything and would like to share their misery.

link   
Does anybody here other than me actually know a cop? Lots of broad strokes of generalization happening.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Does anybody here other than me actually know a cop? Lots of broad strokes of generalization happening.

Hundreds. Dad was in the RCMP. Hung around them a lot. Played baseball with them when I was old enough. And yes, there's always a few dicks.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I was pulled over recently for an expired sticker on my license plates. Shocked me as I am careful about such things. I found my paper work and there attached were the stickers. He graciously put them on for me and did not give me a ticket. Many LEO's take seriously "Protect and Serve"

The policeman in the OP, imho did the right thing.

Wednesday in my town was "Shop a Cop" day. The Officers collect/donate money, and they take children who are less fortunate shopping for toys, or whatever the child wants. The Officers give of their time to do this, as well as money.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

I know several.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

A couple of weeks ago, on my way into town to the store, I saw one of my county deputy's car pulled over with lights flashing.

I slowed down while going around of course, figuring it was someone pulled over for speeding or something.

Instead, what I saw was: the deputy on his hands and knees changing the tire on the car for the elderly (and black, all though that shouldn't matter at all) woman who's car had a flat. She was standing there looking fretful.

As I went by with my window down, I heard her: "Please don't hurt yourself."
I heard this white deputy (which again, should not matter) say: "It's not a problem ma'am." then I was out of ear shot and down the road further.

I've seen our county deputies and city public safety officers do things like this all the time here where I live.

While I do think that we need some reform with our LEOs in this country, do think having them out and about with people, not just cruising the streets is important.

I can see the media however has a profound effect on people, right here in this thread and on the boards. Cop hater paradise this has become. Ignore any good deeds and reasonable ideas to help reformation.

Instead, like in this thread: I see people who think that anyone that has a badge must be a bad person.....

Gee....what is it we call someone when they automatically pass judgement on someone simply because of how they look or who they are?

Pot Meet Kettle.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

They did discuss it with the merchant who decided to drop the charges. They also brought her in to sign up for some community drives. She is already on disability and one of her daughters is on welfare. Other food was sent in by people who heard the story.

Source: Alabama cop hugs grandmother after he buys her eggs she tried to shoplift to feed hungry family (VIDEO)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Perfect!
Then you guys can tell those that don't know any cops.

Are all cops a bunch of racist ducks with an inferiority complex, or are the majority of them good people that are human and can make mistakes?

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

What you described is very similar to what I would see in my community. I think people forget that cops are all different people, not only individually but within different communities. A cop in a rural and low crime area doesn't deal with the same things a cop in a high pop and high crime area has to deal with on a daily basis.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Perfect!
Then you guys can tell those that don't know any cops.

Are all cops a bunch of racist ducks with an inferiority complex, or are the majority of them good people that are human and can make mistakes?

My point here is that they should be trained in ways that their mistakes are reduced and a few good courses in how to deal with the power they are given is a must in my opinion. And, yes, I worked in policing and know officers and a detective. I would like to see out-of-the-box training in handling the mentally ill and peaceful protesters in a nonviolent way.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I didn't make the claim...

The officer did.

It's now his duty, or those those who believe his exclamations duty, to provide evidence of such a claim.

As a super moderator who has seen their fair share of debates you should know its not possible to prove a negative.

Believe what you want anyways, I made my point.
I stand by it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join