It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the victim justice cannot be truly achieved.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
From a victim's point of view what can I gain that will help me resolve what has been done to me by somebody being executed or locked behind bars? It does not help me.

Am I so shallow that somehow watching someone die fulfils my desire for revenge? Is that all my suffering is worth? I would feel cheated if that were to happen. If I was murdered I would take absolutely no satisfaction from that.

So somebody has to sit in a cell. Does their loss of liberty somehow comfort me for the wrong that has been done to me? How could that console me? Such a scenario would only offend me.

I can understand the need to put certain people in prison for varying lengths of time because of the risk they pose, that is only logical. However, in terms of taking comfort from these strange recompenses that society offers; no thanks.

True justice is not in a human hand to give. In victimhood, what is taken can never be given back. To take satisfaction in knowing that others are suffering on your account, somehow paying a price by their suffering, is frankly quite sadistic. It seems barbaric to me.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

Restorative Justice.

www.restorativejustice.org...

It has helped a lot of people.
edit on 12-12-2014 by AgentShillington because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   

"For the victim justice cannot be truly achieved"

That's why HELL is eternal!

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

So somebody has to sit in a cell. Does their loss of liberty somehow comfort me for the wrong that has been done to me?

It might prevent them from doing it again. Depending on the heinous nature of the crime(s), I'd prefer the real assholes not be walking amongst us.

But I get the distaste for vengeance thing too. A lot of people don't. They want blood. They don't even realize they just became what they hate.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

You are very close to realizing the true power of the human mind.

For those that remain, we are left to ponder the remaining trivialities like;l how can a person that mistrusts government condone that same government taking life. Or how can anyone wiling to fight and die for a fetus be so cruel to the human once born into this chaos.

Faux News is the Oracle....

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

1 Corinthians 6:7 The very fact that you have lawsuits among you means you have been completely defeated already. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be cheated?

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I've always felt the same as you. But thank God I am not speaking from experience. It is just me looking in from the outside. I THINK I would still feel the same way if (God forbid) I were the victim of a heinous act.

The one that I really can't wrap my head around, is when a family gets a huge payout for a wrongful death suit. They get a bunch of money because their loved one died from another's misdeed, then they use it to, say, build an in-ground pool or something. How could you ever swim in that thing, knowing you have just equated the value of your loved one with a recreational item? I just don't think I could ever, ever enjoy spending money that came to me in place of the life of a loved one!

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
This is why Karma was invented, to ease our mind from the burden of fate! Our will is justice enough, if you can protect it from poisonous thoughts like revenge.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Interesting question,

Personally, if i imagine some harm been done to me, the only solace i would be able to find in the punisment, of the one that harmed me, would be the idea that the harm would not become other people. Then again, there is no guarantee that after someone has been punished he or she wouldn't do it again.
Only a deathsentence could guarantee that, and I oppose that for i like to believe in the good that's inside every human being, the power to change. What is there to be learned if you are dead?
I have no answer...
edit on 12-12-2014 by ArieBombarie because: typo

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Going to the source of all problems to radically prevent the quantity of future victims. Is also the best additional form of justice, as well as 'lawful attempts at compensation' of some kind.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: NotMoose

"For the victim justice cannot be truly achieved"

That's why HELL is eternal!

Hell is NOT eternal. All anyone who is Love wants it for the true rehabilitation and healing of all souls. But that's a process and it certainly feels like hell.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

True justice is not in a human hand to give. In victimhood, what is taken can never be given back. To take satisfaction in knowing that others are suffering on your account, somehow paying a price by their suffering, is frankly quite sadistic. It seems barbaric to me.

It is so easy to want revenge when someone hurts you. It is so easy to punch a person back when they punch you. The amazing thing is forgiveness. This is when we go beyond animal nature.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

You are very close to realizing the true power of the human mind.

For those that remain, we are left to ponder the remaining trivialities like;l how can a person that mistrusts government condone that same government taking life. Or how can anyone wiling to fight and die for a fetus be so cruel to the human once born into this chaos.

It does seem like a sort of conundrum but its not really. A real moral conundrum would be a supporter of abortion protesting capital punishment.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Emerald53

1 Corinthians 6:7 The very fact that you have lawsuits among you means you have been completely defeated already. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be cheated?

Same guy said "Alexander the coppersmith caused me much harm. The Lord will take care of him".

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   

The only justice a victim has is learning how to prevent themselves from being victimised.

Unfortunately, the only way that this really happens is if one has been a victim before.

It is the way of this world in my opinion, perhaps even the universe...

edit on 15-12-2014 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
There's such a thing as restitution.

There are two models you can see things through; crime control and due process.

On the due process side of things, there is a huge emphasis on the rights of the accused and using the court systems as they are intended.

Crime control is more stringent, often shortening the trial period and focusing less on the rights of the accused and more on the rights of the victim.

We are somewhere in between the two.

What justice can you find? Depends on you situation, mack. For some things you'll get a sense of justice. For some things you may never, but it's not the fault of the justice system. Just remember that.

top topics

join