It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greenpeace apologizes for disfiguring Nazca lines. Irony?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
www.theguardian.com... c/10/peru-press-charges-greenpeace-nazca-lines-stunt

Greenpeace has apologised to the people of Peru after the government accused the environmentalists of damaging ancient earth markings in the country’s coastal desert by leaving footprints in the ground during a publicity stunt meant to send a message to the UN climate talks delegates in Lima.

A spokesman for Greenpeace said: “Without reservation Greenpeace apologises to the people of Peru for the offence caused by our recent activity laying a message of hope at the site of the historic Nazca lines. We are deeply sorry for this.

“Rather than relay an urgent message of hope and possibility to the leaders gathering at the Lima UN climate talks, we came across as careless and crass.”

Earlier Peru’s vice-minister for culture Luis Jaime Castillo had accused Greenpeace of “extreme environmentalism” and ignoring what the Peruvian people “consider to be sacred” after the protest at the world renowned Nazca lines, a Unesco world heritage site.

Greenpeace has always been a radical type of group who like to violate the law and the rights of others to get their message across but, IMHO, their self-righteousness has gone to a new low with messing with the Nazca world heritage site. The ends justifies the means to them, I guess.

I can see it now: "Let's like, get our super-important message for sustainability in the here and now across, like, by desecrating an ancient cultural artifact... like, that would totally work and nobody can get angry with our message, maaaaan," said the Greenpeace dumbass while sipping on his fair-trade mocha latte in Starbucks.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
oooh look at the whatchamacallit...irony.

I can see it now: "Let's like, get our super-important message for sustainability in the here and now across, like, by desecrating an ancient cultural artifact... like, that would totally work and nobody can get angry with our message, maaaaan," said the Greenpeace dumbass while sipping on his fair-trade mocha latte in Starbucks.

obviously that conversation happened via the latest apple product, nothing says non conformity like being one of the billion people to have the same thing

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse
I know right? Its like fashion, i want to stand out, so ill use what everyone else is using now

edit on 12-12-2014 by Indigent because: Apple needs to make products for fat fingered people

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I'm generally a supporter of Greenpeace...but this was just stoopid.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc
posted Here a couple days ago on ATS

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

a reply to: Indigent

think different...or not really

Anyway, i remember reading someone messed up the lines a while back...so what happened, they were restored and then these guys came and messed them up again?

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
To me it seems that the Radical practices of Greenpeace are actually turning people against environmentalism. Most people want to peacefully slowly change to a more environmentally friendly lifestyle but will go the other way if they are pushed or they sense crazy people are trying to lead them.

It would seem that the big businesses would actually benefit by the existence of Greenpeace and their radical ways. Are we sure that big Oil is not funding them? Are we sure that Big Mining Companies and Commercial fishing and agriculture are not paying their bills?

It is so easy for the public to be misled and our focus blurred that it almost seems incomprehensible that these organizations can be infiltrated by the people they are said to be in opposition with. Their radical actions steer many people away from conservation.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Greenpeace has always been a radical type of group who like to violate the law and the rights of others to get their message across…

To that end they practice civil disobedience. Looks like it worked (to get their message across). If they were 'radical types' they would have used explosives, like when idjits blew up the Buddha statue in Afghanistan.

IMHO, their self-righteousness has gone to a new low with messing with the Nazca world heritage site.

So lets focus on the messenger instead of the message.

If they had just 'plasticized' some message in the Sahara desert, nobody would even see it.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse
Yeah I remember that too. Found it
A limestone quarrying company operating illegally within the bounds of the Nazca Lines has destroyed some of the enigmatic figures.

edit on 12-12-2014 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Yeah damn Greenpeace look at them wrecking the Nazca lines.

As I posted in the other thread this is an over hyped story based on nothing but an angry government trying to discredit the protest.
The lines have suffered damage but at the hands of Peruvian industry and government inaction not Greenpeace.

Don't buy the BS

edit on 12-12-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I can't say that I'm in the least bit surprised. Par for the course for the environmental movement, which has an unfortunate tendency to disregard anyone's position but they're own and tends to find outlandish ways to push their message.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Greenpeace has a rep with some people of jumping into other people's marches or strategies and going to the head of the line with their banners, pretending that they organized the event. This one, however, is all them, and really stupid. Really really stupid.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Greenpeace has always been a radical type of group who like to violate the law and the rights of others to get their message across…

To that end they practice civil disobedience. Looks like it worked (to get their message across). If they were 'radical types' they would have used explosives, like when idjits blew up the Buddha statue in Afghanistan.

IMHO, their self-righteousness has gone to a new low with messing with the Nazca world heritage site.

If they had just 'plasticized' some message in the Sahara desert, nobody would even see it.

So you think it's acceptable to damage a an ancient world heritage site that has cultural and sacred significance to indigenous peoples as long as you agree with the message?

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Yeah damn Greenpeace look at them wrecking the Nazca lines.

As I posted in the other thread this is an over hyped story based on nothing but an angry government trying to discredit the protest.
The lines have suffered damage but at the hands of Peruvian industry and government inaction not Greenpeace.

Don't buy the BS

Oh, so they were not there where they were not supposed to be and did not walk all over the site and did not spread large sheets of plastic all over the park?

Another irony: spreading large sheets of plastic made by petrochemicals all over the landscape to protest petrochemicals.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Oh, so they were not there where they were not supposed to be and did not walk all over the site and did not spread large sheets of plastic all over the park?

Show me the damage Greenpeace did , I'd say judging by the video I posted of them laying the banner that it was negliable if any damage.
But this is of more concern in my opinion....

According to the daily, the machinery belongs to a firm that is removing limestone from the area. The lines are located near kilometer marker 444 of the Panamericana Sur Highway. The area adjacent to the lines have reportedly also been affected, due to land being removed from the area.
Eduardo Herrán Gómez de la Torre, director of research at Ojos de Condor, described the extensive damage in the area. "We have witnessed the irreparable destruction to a set of lines and trapezoids that existed in the area,” Herrán said.
www.peruthisweek.com...

Another irony: spreading large sheets of plastic made by petrochemicals all over the landscape to protest petrochemicals.

And just by looking at it you can tell that it's petrochemical plastic and not Biodegradable plastic.

edit on 12-12-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Show me the damage Greenpeace did , I'd say judging by the video I posted of them laying the banner that it was negliable if any damage.

According to the daily, the machinery belongs to a firm that is removing limestone from the area. The lines are located near kilometer marker 444 of the Panamericana Sur Highway. The area adjacent to the lines have reportedly also been affected, due to land being removed from the area.
Eduardo Herrán Gómez de la Torre, director of research at Ojos de Condor, described the extensive damage in the area. "We have witnessed the irreparable destruction to a set of lines and trapezoids that existed in the area,” Herrán said.
www.peruthisweek.com...

And just by looking at it you can tell that it's petrochemical plastic and not Biodegradable plastic.

LOL. Yeah, yeah, they were conscientious so they use biodegradable plastic (that "biodegrades" over years) while tromping all over a world heritage site. How responsible of them. LOL.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I hope they all get 6 years in a Peruvian prison cell.

Now excuse me while I kill a Polar Bear so I can write "SAVE THE TIGERS" in 8 foot letters with it's blood. Do I look OK for the cameras?

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

So you think it's acceptable to damage a an ancient world heritage site that has cultural and sacred significance to indigenous peoples as long as you agree with the message?

What damage? The US causes "damage" to whole nations. How significantly historical is that? Green Peace did it there because they knew the next tourist flight would capture it and put it up.

Like I said, it worked… even on you. Thanks for bringing it. Now people are seeing the "message" here, too.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

What damage? The US causes "damage" to whole nations. How significantly historical is that? Green Peace did it there because they knew the next tourist flight would capture it and put it up.

Like I said, it worked… even on you. Thanks for bringing it. Now people are seeing the "message" here, too.

I love the infantile logic. "Well other people # stuff up more so it's okay I # stuff up a little."

And no it didn't work, they are turning more people off to their cause with their juvenile and often destructive and dangerous stunts.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
The Peruvian government are hand in glove with the mega corps who are pillaging and poisoning native tribal lands for the sake of oil,gas and gold.
Look it up people-they do horrible thing to the natives and the environment.

Yes Greenpeace have made an error here,and its sad that they may have disturbed a tiny portion off the lines-but its being used as a smokescreen by the government and big business who drive tribal natives of their lands and worse,for the sake of a quick profit.
At least the native tribes care for their environment,and live in peace with it.
The governmnet and business would happily kill them all to get those resources.

So who is the biggest evil here-Greenpeace who accidently may have caused some infintesimal damage when trying to bring a serious problem into the light,or the government of Peru who cause gigantic damage daily to their country and its people?

I know who gets my vote.

edit on 12/12/2014 by Silcone Synapse because: sp

edit on 12/12/2014 by Silcone Synapse because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join