It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Of The Atacama Giant

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
It amazes me that this has not been widely discussed, if at all, on ATS...

A Ms. Holly Ahlberg appears to be one of the more determined to pursue the “phenomena” noted, below.
She, purportedly, first identified said phenomenon in November, 2012.
I have seen other Internet users comment regarding said phenomenon as early as 2006.

I did not stumble upon it until December 20, 2013
…and…after much work…
found reference/s to Ms. Ahlberg’s and others’ finds and efforts
on multiple websites
sometime after the New Year’s turn of

- - -

I first found this region, and initially called the 'demonstrations' Atacama Southern, in December of 2013.

By mid-January, 2014, I found references to Ms. Ahlberg’s story.

She had even impressed an acquaintance (Lloyd Pye) enough, to sponsor/finance a brief looksee.
Popular Archaeology article
Sedona Red Rock News article

Using a drone and professional drone pilot, they obtained aerial photos of the area, and estimate the entire site/complex to be about 11 miles in length (SW to NE) and 6 miles in width (N to S).

Perhaps my favorite treatment of the story, and consideration of possibilities, is found in The Atacama Complex:, here.

In See-The-Coast, the red arrow points to the Atacama Giant.
The clutter of yellow pins and 'pin names' are left in place to point to other interests in the area/region.
(Google Earth imagery)

See-The-Coast

Here, zoomed in to an eye altitude of 17.42 miles, the Atacama Giant is identified by the two red arrows, while the general region we will take a peek at is encompassed within the green-dashed line.

For reference and context – the red arrows have been pointing at “The Atacama Giant”. If you are not familiar with this ‘petroglyph’, please consider the following three images…
From approximately 27,000’ eye altitude, The Atacama Giant resides along the southwestern side of this apparently natural monument.

From about 5,100’ eye altitude, The Atacama Giant can be seen with some distinction.

At the southern end of the monolith, from about 5,100’ eye altitude, another patch of glyph-works.

And Here, zoomed in to an eye altitude of 11.03 miles, the green-dashes, again, outline the focus for this OP, and the Red-Lettered Blue Pin designates my first discovery - named "Southern Atacama".

Being that "Atacama-South" was my first exposure to this 'phenomenon' (and sometimes referred to as Southern Atacama or SA or AS), and, in fact, resides within the green-dashed lines, hopefully you can see what drew my attention to the area.

Atacama-South / Southern Atacama / SA / etal

Because discussing and exploring this entire 11 by 6 mile area (alone) could take hundreds of pages, we'll just look at a couple of examples, here... And, if you care to present or request more, please do.

In R-Random, I randomly chose 5 locations within the subject area, to zoom in on, and prove that this entire area is covered with said demonstration...

The first (of 5), called SW-1, zooms in on the area depicted by the long southwestern-pointing arrow.

The next, called NNW-1, zooms in on the area depicted by the short arrow that crosses the long southwesterly-pointing arrow, just southwest of the three-leg junction.

The third, called NNE-1, zooms in on the area depicted by the North-Northeastern pointing arrow, that is the only northerly-pointing arrow of the three-leg group.

The fourth, called E-1, zooms in on the area depicted by the Easterly pointing arrow of the three-leg group.

The last/fifth, called SW-Short, zooms in on the area depicted by the Southwesterly arrow pointing at the three-leg junction.

354 days have passed since I became hooked on this area.
Google Earth has replaced the imagery with more recent imagery (whose resolution is less revealing) than the 2011 imagery available one year ago (though still accessible).
On this new imagery is evidence of a very busy bunch of "color marking GE investigators" (presumedly). And - yes - they're interested in the same stuff that is the topic of this OP...

What a gig, Google Earth has/is!

Discuss, if you wish. I have no answers, but a good bit of information and keen interest.

Thanks for your time.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: WanDash

Good grief ! I have flown over that area hundreds of times (above 30,000 feet, my defense !) and as the area passed under my big toe I never saw the formation ! And I was usually looking outside !

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky
Where would one fly from & to, to pass over this part of the globe?

You are right, 30,000' kind of muddles the details.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I don't want to give too much detail about this as one day I hope to write a book about it.

But the truth is, Planet Earth was SMALLER in the distant past, this allowed for bigger animals and ancient humans.

But tsk tsk, I ain't saying more or providing evidence.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Nice!

They look like rice fields, I wonder how old they are.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy
Yes - at times they do look like rice fields.
As to their age - that is not a known quantity - or, published quantity, at this time.
The article I referenced - The Atacama Complex: tried some educated guesses that were worth consideration - imo.

In fact, though, I have put a good bit of thought into their age, but have no answer/s ......yet.

OOPs - ETA: A look into the history of the Atacama Desert region of northern Chile reveals a common belief that the Atacameras (&/or Atacamenos) were the first to settle the area.

They were, purportedly, migrant “hunter–gatherers” that eventually began to settle and congregate in the general region some 600-800 (or more or less) years BC.

Could/Would they have been capable of something like this?
The Atacama Complex: gives a better guess, than 'hunter-gatherers to agrarian master mason civilization builders & disappearers' - again, imo

edit on 12/12/2014 by WanDash because: OOPs

edit on 12/12/2014 by WanDash because: parentheticals

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: WanDash
Where would one fly from & to, to pass over this part of the globe?

You are right, 30,000' kind of muddles the details.

I absolutely hate to admit my stupidity however I really am glad you asked the question !

Ya see I looked at one of the titles and it said Sedona which in my mind meant Arizona not Chile ! The topographical photo I zeroed in on further reinforced my misguided perception (call it a quick scan) ...

Pictures are for pilots and words are for flight engineers... or something like that ! I should have read the articles before posting ! Thanks for bringing me back to reality and making me feel dumb yet better knowing I did not miss such a structure..

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Whew!
Glad I could be of assistance.
Too bad, though - I was hoping to learn of some secret base in Antarctica, or Patagonia.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Sorry if this is off-topic but are the coordinates anywhere close to the ones mentioned in this video?

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   

The Atacama Giant looks like this other one :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Interesting OP got my attention. I wonder what they were trying to accomplish with this, I mean I know a lot of people claim they did it to attract sky people or what ever but I'm curious if when built and complete how visible something like this would have been from surrounding mountain ranges and if it acted as a welcome or a warning?

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

However, the Atacama desert in Chile is also officially the oldest, driest desert in the world ....

Perhaps ironically, it is the historical lack of water in the region that has preserved the remains of this incredible discovery, which lies today, partially concealed beneath the silt of an ancient flood event.

From one of OP's links

Ah a creationists wet dream.

Oldest driest desert in the world had a flood.....

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Paleoecological data show that this area changed dramatically from very arid environments at the Last Glacial Max- imum (LGM) to relatively humid conditions during late glacial and early Holocene times. In northern Chile, this change began around 14,000 cal yr B.P. and culminated between 13,000 and 9500 cal yr B.P. Grass cover was extensive, and vascular plant diversity was high, particularly between 11,800 and 10,500 cal yr B.P. The shorelines of late glacial paleolakes were up to 70 m above those of the current salt lakes and provided excellent habitats for mobile groups of hunters.

11,000 to 7,500 BC was a 'wet' period for certain regions of the Atacama. This may account for the appearance of field like structures.

Link

Human habitations in the Atacama

Additional information on the HG and fisherman of the Atacama

Atacama HG and fishermen

A distinctive feature of the hunter-gatherer-fishermen of the Atacama Desert was the opportunity to engage in agriculture, afforded by the presence of valleys and quebradas that cross-cut the desert in the northern section (see Figure 13.3). From ca. 4,000–3,000 bp the introduction of agriculture is seen to complement a maritime focused economy, thereby allowing desert people to establish permanent settlements in the form of small hamlets, with simple architecture (wooden posts, reed mats, and cane) of no more that 10 hectares in extension, as seen late in prehistory. This kind of infrastructure is commonly found along the quebradas and inland basins, such as Pampa del Tamarugal. Along the coast, people maintained more simple open camps until the sixteenth century ad ; the time of the European invasion. This change in the way of life of the peoples of the coastal Atacama Desert can be accommodated by the concept of the ‘‘Neolithic Revolution,’’ as coined by the influential Australian archaeologist V. Gordon Childe, whose ideas were in- corporated into the interpretation of Andean cultural history during the 1960s and 1970s. This ‘‘revolution’’ within the coastal economies of the Atacama did not result in substantial change in staple foods, however, as these were still provided by the ocean. Processes of social class differentiation and other cultural ‘‘sophistica- tion’’ classified elsewhere as ‘‘civilization’’ took a different form here. The waves of the ocean and the sand dunes of the desert witness a different human social creation that we have attempted to shed some light on within this chapter.

I would suggest looking at Spanish only archaeological publications.

There may also have been a late 19th or early 20th century attempt to use fossil water in agricultural experiments in the desert
edit on 12/12/14 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: FutureWithoutFuture4
I have received a fair share of quirky comments... Thanks for yours!
Looking forward to the revelation/s.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman
That is interesting. Is that Ecuador or...Australia/Africa/Mars?
I didn't find any otherwise strange construction in the immediate vicinity... Maybe I'll go back later, and expand my search.
Any idea/s how old this glyph is... Any interesting stories/suspicions?
Thanks for the heads-up.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
...I wonder what they were trying to accomplish with this, I mean I know a lot of people claim they did it to attract sky people or what ever but I'm curious if when built and complete how visible something like this would have been from surrounding mountain ranges and if it acted as a welcome or a warning?

If you are talking about the geometric matrix south of the 'Giant...the nearest mountain range is a few miles away.

If you are referring to the 'Giant, itself... The only mountains (or higher grounds) that might see it, would be about 15 miles to the southwest, and - at only 4,000 feet or so above the 'Giant, I have seen no photos that show it as identifiable.

Attract sky people? Who knows.
I find it interesting that the geometric matrix is so closely associated with the 'monument'/petroglyph.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

North of Peru.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP
I wonder how much is actually concealed.
What is revealed is exceptionally interesting.
If we are talking about an agrarian hub of some sort - what size population would they need to be supporting?
And, again...why the proximity to the 'Giant?

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune
In the midst of considering & responding to your post I lost access to ATS, the post, & and thus, the external links.
I had begun reading one of the papers, and found the information (as you suggested) to resemble information I had read, as well.

Thanks for the sources!

If we were considering a span from 13,000 to 8,000 years ago…when this might have taken place - kind of shoots a question mark into the foot of the notion - 800-600 BC appearance of the first humans to settle the region
- But, if the 800-600 BC claim for the Atacamenos/Atacamera is correct, while more evidences point to a more ancient civilization…
- And if - such a civilization did exist, here/there, capable of leaving plain sight evidence of its ability to work with the land, and stone and water and…layout, and perhaps, agriculture -
-- What happened to that civilization?, -&-
--- How was all this knowledge lost…such that the next peoples ‘claiming’ to have been the first to settle this land, were apparently migrant hunter-gatherers when their 'large game' migrated into the region…and - - - they got stuck - or liked the place enough, that the International Postal Service began delivering all mail for "First Indigenous Culture In The Land" to the Atacamenos'…?

Must not have been a terribly hearty people…as, we have no history (that I am aware of) that tells of the demise of this civilization in a great war with the Maya (or Titicaca'ans)…

Yet the magnitude and scale of the enterprise in the desert, tells us that we are considering a culture that had their environment fairly domesticated (and, perhaps, industrialized).

When they talk of the wet/humid climate, are they segregating the mountains from the plains to the sea?

What a weird trick - sitting on the ocean, and still one of the driest places on earth.

Any way we consider it -- a culture/civilization capable of such work & effort & scale (whether an agrarian project or other) would need to have already mastered the basics of agricultural enterprise and civil engineering.

Which is why I look north from the edge of the geometric matrix (a/k/a Southern-Atacama) out onto the plateau, at the lonely mountain, with spike-kneed, elf-suited, Radar Giant, and other meaningful-though-eroded inscriptions…and cannot fathom that both demonstrations are not of the same impetus.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I think your answer will be found in Spanish language sources. Trueman is a native of the region, another person who posts here Heliocentric lives in Peru and was an archaeologist he might know also.

Good luck

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join