It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
As usual, yesterday and the release of the Torture information, I was searching for something that was NOT being talked about!

On Dec. 9th, the House in a nonpartisan manner approved the Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015.

Here is an alert email from Justin Amash to other Congresspersons.

This from his Facebook page.

When I learned that the Intelligence Authorization Act for FY 2015 was being rushed to the floor for a vote—with little debate and only a voice vote expected (i.e., simply declared "passed" with almost nobody in the room)—I asked my legislative staff to quickly review the bill for unusual language. What they discovered is one of the most egregious sections of law I've encountered during my time as a representative: It grants the executive branch virtually unlimited access to the communications of every American.

Now onto his actual email.

Block New Spying on U.S. Citizens: Vote “NO” on H.R. 4681

Dear Colleague:

The intelligence reauthorization bill, which the House will vote on today, contains a troubling new provision that for the first time statutorily authorizes spying on U.S. citizens without legal process.

Last night, the Senate passed an amended version of the intelligence reauthorization bill with a new Sec. 309—one the House never has considered. Sec. 309 authorizes “the acquisition, retention, and dissemination” of nonpublic communications, including those to and from U.S. persons. The section contemplates that those private communications of Americans, obtained without a court order, may be transferred to domestic law enforcement for criminal investigations.

To be clear, Sec. 309 provides the first statutory authority for the acquisition, retention, and dissemination of U.S. persons’ private communications obtained without legal process such as a court order or a subpoena. The administration currently may conduct such surveillance under a claim of executive authority, such as E.O. 12333. However, Congress never has approved of using executive authority in that way to capture and use Americans’ private telephone records, electronic communications, or cloud data.

Below is the link to his Facebook page, and YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE A FACEBOOK ACCOUNT to read it. I wasn't sure of the T&C on putting up the whole email so I just picked a few paragraphs. It is worth the read. OH, it's not long either.

Justin Amash-Facebook

As could be expected, the vote passed.

Vote Details

Anyhow, don't expect the police state to go anywhere soon. The bill now goes to our Presidents desk for a signature.

Any takers that he WON'T sign it?

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Wow great find I didn't even hear about this. thank you.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Section103 -
Allows the DNI to authorize employment of civilian personnel in excess of the number authorized for FY2014 or FY2015 when necessary for the performance of important intelligence functions. Requires notification to the intelligence committees on the use of such authority.

HR 4681 Summary

Civilian "personnel" for interrogations perhaps ??

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
This is horrifying. As if the NSA's recent activities - and all the other unconstitutional scandals that have come out in regard to the fed and this administration weren't enough. Our tax dollars are being used against us, when are people going to give a $#!*!!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

It just might be too late!

Everyone is too distracted by other issues.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
What about the fact that they have voting going on where a lot of them aren't even there to vote or the fact that they vote on this without reading them on a regular basis. How many more laws do we need?

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JHumm
What about the fact that they have voting going on where a lot of them aren't even there to vote or the fact that they vote on this without reading them on a regular basis. How many more laws do we need?

Remember now, "We are a nation of laws", errr well for us serfs that is.....

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

And the war on the American people continues. Once they have their ducks in a row, their hollow point ammo purchased (done), rights of citizens reduced (almost there), and the citizens divided (almost done)... IT'S GAME ON!

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

SURPRISE!!!!

I'm definitely not.

-NF

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

SURPRISE!!!!

I'm definitely not.

-NF

No surprise with this ole boy at all.

Everyone is still fighting over the "torture report" and hardly peeps out of anyone over the government just making a law so that they can spy on us however they choose.

Can't blame em though, hell if the people are so easily distracted, what would you expect from this corrupt government!

Hell, that is all the MSM is talking about today, so naturally, we follow the planned script.....
edit on 11-12-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Honestly, I don't do much digging beyond the obvious in news. At my age, I'm really not surprised by much at all.

I have zero faith in the Gov't, let alone most people. Particularly those who wish to lead.

There's a time for everything.

-NF

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
This is VERY unsettling. Great find OP SnF!

Think of all of the implications of this law...

No longer do they need the facade, "it is to stop domestic terrorism."

Now they can get anybody for anything. Text your guy for some of the green good stuff on a weekend? Next thing ya know the police are busting down your door and already have any evidence they need.

Just imagine if they actually start monitoring domestic traffic to catch small crime?

This is a # storm.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I guess the real question here is can you defend yourself against the law by arguing it's unconstitutional? The constitution doesn't apply to most terrorists but it applies to each and every one of us. This is a pretty clear search and seizure violation and one could even argue that it's a form of making you testify against yourself.

top topics

join