It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

International Image of South Africa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I have trying to keep up to date on international news, but especially news form South Africa, and I wanted to see what other people thinks. But I do know that this may be a controversial issue.

Looking at news from South Africa, a very negative image emerges. Here is just a few of the highlights.

'South African President Jacob Zuma spent more than $20 million of tax-player money on private residence "Nkandla homestead".'

'South African Post Office strikes for almost 6 months.'

'South African electricity public utility, ESKOM, has a hard time staying online due to Stage 3 emergency.'

'Violence in South African Parliamentary Assembly'

'Legal system failed Reva Steenkamp's family in Oscar Pistorius Court Case.'

'Legal system failed and Shrien Dewani walks away a free man.'

This is some of the things that is constantly in South African news, but more relevant, in news reaching other countries.

But here is the main point of this thread.

Is there a positive image left about South Africa at all?

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: IndependentAgent

Is there a positive image left about South Africa at all?

You guys get to be the star of Shark Week every year.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I lived in SA for about 4 years, Johannesburg. I was working there.
For the most part it's a mess, thankfully the people are some of the nicest i have ever met. No matter race or gender i've met nothing but kind people always willing to help me.
But yeah Mr Zuma never went to high school, he got the black people to vote for him just by lying and promising some kind of utopia under his guide.
He is also the brilliant man that said you can get rid of HIV by taking a shower, and to demonstrate that he had sex (raped) with a girl, and without providing proof that she was HIV positive.
THAT guy is running the country.
He needs to go one way or the other, asap.
As for the electricity, well the first year and a half i was there, we had that load shedding deal, where they cut the lights form one area to re direct it to another, so for like 4 hours a day you didn't have electricity at all, i didn't know the problem came back :/
Don't let that bring you down though, SA can be and sometimes is a beautiful place, and with the attitude of the people there, it's certain that they will pick themselves up, and fix things, and have a braai at the evening

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I haven't been following South Africa and I would think that most news agencies there are not really reporting what is really going on . Much like in America or any western media they are probably controlled some how to spin the message .Putting dollar amounts to who is spending them is a tell tale sign ,someone is trying to curb the story .Not that wasteful spending or selfish ambitions don't play their rolls in corruption . The really big crooks are the ones running the banks and every thing feeds down from the top . a reply to: IndependentAgent

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

I was over there in Johannesburg for the last 6 months working on Government buildings. I do have to agree that most people are kind and willing to help. But the contrary is also true. When I was working there we also had that load shedding. That led to water not being able to reach the top levels of the buildings, and the entire government building had to close down due to human rights violations. The image I have is that the country is being run by incompetent people, from top to bottom.

But yes, it is a beautiful country. I try to go over there to the national parks every few years.
edit on 11-12-2014 by IndependentAgent because: (no reason given)

top topics

join