It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Pay and Compensations

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

I'm not planning on retiring from the army anyway

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: TDawgRex

I'm not planning on retiring from the army anyway

Are ya looking at working on a LifeFlight somewhere after you ETS? They make good money. They stay pretty busy as well.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
My point was the military is not to protect us or our the country any more but a business A corrupt one at that..a reply to: Shamrock6

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Something like that. I have a lot of options right now. I got 3 years left. I'm out after that

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

12 1/2 years of service in the Air Force so far, and I gotta say...it's not that bad. Another poster mentioned all the additional allowances we get, which is spot on. To refresh, I get Basic Pay, Basic Allowance for Housing, Basic Allowance for Substance and Flight Pay. I get an annual allowance for clothing. Pay raises every 2 years and promotions occur every few years. We get free healthcare. We have the Montgomery GI Bill AND $4,500 in tuition assistance every year which if used properly, can get you a Masters degree. I own a condo through a VA loan, which is a pretty solid loan to have access too. When I'm deployed I get monthly pay increases for combat pay, hazardous duty pay and family seperation pay....and it's all tax free.

Most of my friends all own nice homes and nice cars without being in bad debt. There are financial planning professionals on every AF base to help you come up with a budget to fit your needs. So the way I see it, we're paid at a fairly competetive level.

Now...I will say this, I've been shot at once while on a C-130 over Baghdad and I didn't know it until the pilot mentioned something to us after we landed. I was less than 100 yards from a mortar that landed on a flightline in Afghanistan. Nothing that I've experienced compares to what the guys who shoot and get shot at as a part of their job. Those guys...deserve a hell of a pay raise for what they do. Those are the guys who deserve big houses with 5 car garages.

Sure, we all put ourselves at risk. But we knew what we were getting into. It sucks seeing our efforts be wasted on a government that uses us for personal gain rather than national security. But that doesn't mean that we don't serve a purpose, and it doesn't mean that we aren't still here to "fight for freedom" as IShotMyLastMuse seems to think, because we are.

We didn't sign up to fight questionable wars, our country continues to elect officials who put us in those wars. Whether you believe it or not...most of us actually do care about this country's freedom. And most of us are actively doing something about it...not jockeying for keyboard supremity with tough words.

Anyway, back on point. A 1% pay raise is better than a 0% pay raise. We are at the mercy of our government, but military pay has come a LONG way from where it was in the past.
edit on 11-12-2014 by Assassin82 because: corrections

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I would say that saying our pay is competitive is based on what job you do. I've been a nuclear operator for the navy for 7 years and someone on the outside with my experience working at a civilian plant would be making way more than me. I will say though the navy or military in general is a great life stabilizer.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
When I was in (2 years ago) the oay really wasn't bad. Can we just consider that for somebody straight out of highschool who really only goes to a couple months of schooling for their job that military members make a LOT. Add in healthcare, life insurance, and for me a BAH (wife and daughter). I made a ton of money while I was in. I was a low ranking enlisted member and I made enough to house my family, feed them and buy a nice car (with other luxuries). I understand the lack of justice where athletes make a lot of money and military personnel make a little in comparison but really a lot of us didn't do a whole lot. I have friend who just worked a desk job from 9-5 and went home. Others worked in a machine shop for 8 hours and had guard duty sometimes. Personally my hardest day was one where I was hungover and had a friend die, but that wasnt job related. We all gave some, and although some gave all, many gave a little. I don't think your garden variety military member should make $80k+/year, but they could use a raise.

Generally the people who bitch about not making enough in the military either have way too many kids with a spouse that is too lazy to work or they are a boot who has no concept of experience being worth more than your 3 months in basic and 4 months in school. The military treated me well and paid me well. Be responsible with your money and dont bitch.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join