It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Pay and Compensations

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

oh jeez
amicktd is here!
and he says it isnt true!
oh man i guess i need to reevaluate my whole outlook on the matter
thanks for that eye opening post amicktd

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd

originally posted by: eXia7

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: eXia7

Nah. PMCs are paid because of their training and capabilities. That's sort of how mercenary work has operated since like....forever.

But you sound like you're just bitter about the benefits, so I guess that explains that.

No, I believe you are projecting something onto me that isn't true. That seems to be the typical response to the opposing view.

Your portraying something onto the military personnel that isn't true. So that just makes you a hypocrite...have a nice day sir!

What isn't true? That today's battlefield isn't yesterday's battlefield? And how today's wars are only to benefit the people with an agenda, and that people who know this to be a fact still insist on joining the military so they can have some form of "financial security" ?

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I work 12-16 hours a day, with intermittent shifts of 24 hours to repair and maintain helicopters, fly missions, and manage soldiers.

I spend more time at work than I do at home with my wife and kid. If I stay in the Army for 30 years I only get 90% pension.

A politician spends a few months actually "working" they vote themselves pay raises and make 170K per year with 100% pension regardless of how long they were actually in office.

I got into the wrong business it seems.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: eXia7

Nah. PMCs are paid because of their training and capabilities. That's sort of how mercenary work has operated since like....forever.

But you sound like you're just bitter about the benefits, so I guess that explains that.

No, I believe you are projecting something onto me that isn't true. That seems to be the typical response to the opposing view.

Your portraying something onto the military personnel that isn't true. So that just makes you a hypocrite...have a nice day sir!

What isn't true? That today's battlefield isn't yesterday's battlefield? And how today's wars are only to benefit the people with an agenda, and that people who know this to be a fact still insist on joining the military so they can have some form of "financial security" ?

I find it funny that people complain that military is paid to kill 3rd world brown people, then turn around and complain because they aren't being paid enough to kill 3rd world brown people.

The majority of military personnel never kill anyone. I never wanted to harm anyone, just wanted to serve my country. That's why I chose my profession in the military and got out of the military when I did. To portray that all we do is kill brown people is just insulting. I agree with you on how the military is used for an agenda, but most of these kids that join are young and blind to whats really going on. No need to blame them, blame the people that the voters are choosing to put in office.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: sirhumperdink

If you wanna take my word for it, then go right ahead. I won't stop you.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

The majority of military personnel never kill anyone. I never wanted to harm anyone, just wanted to serve my country. That's why I chose my profession in the military and got out of the military when I did. To portray that all we do is kill brown people is just insulting. I agree with you on how the military is used for an agenda, but most of these kids that join are young and blind to whats really going on. No need to blame them, blame the people that the voters are choosing to put in office.

Well that's good, if you joined for a noble purpose great. But the majority of friends and people I have met along the way say they joined for benefits, and really could care less about the politics involved. Some may say they are protecting our freedoms, but deep down they are just happy to be getting a paycheck no matter what the case.

You say most people in the military never kill anybody.. I say that is untrue, as their participation in the perpetual war machine silently kills hundreds to thousands to even hundreds of thousands.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

When a country is in harmony with the Tao,
the factories make trucks and tractors.
When a country goes counter to the Tao,
warheads are stockpiled outside the cities.

There is no greater illusion than fear,
no greater wrong than preparing to defend yourself,
no greater misfortune than having an enemy.

Whoever can see through all fear
will always be safe.

namaste

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I feel your pain man. I am not military but I am law enforcement.

$40K a year after a decade. 12 hour shifts, work holidays, etc.

Pay freeze for the last 3 years. No housing allowances, no tax free shopping, no assistance in home loans, etc.

A 25 year retirement nets me 75% of my top pay ($55k, which I will never achieve due to pay freezes), Zero (0) cost of living allowance for my retirement (which means my retirement pay will never increase with inflation), and I have to pay 100% of my health insurance upon retirement.

That is one part of why I am leaving the career.

It isn't easy for most career fields nowadays.
edit on 11-12-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Considering the national debt is 18 trill and military spending is out of control. I can understand it. We should cut what is given to aid in other countries first though. That said one who risks his life for acts of terrorism, for their country deserve to be payed more. Starting wars, creating radical groups "IS, AL Qaeda " for an excuse to invade later or stay indefinitely to run the show, funding both sides and all the false wars and propaganda is hard to do. Oh my bad that is the higher payed officers+. The average serviceman has little to no skills outside the indoctrination and killing skills done to them. Not required to think just follow orders. Can't get a real job when you leave. Sounds like a good future, more should sign up. Get a real clue. Stop signing up. Years ago i looked into it. Lowest pay i was ever offered. For years everyone knew about chemicals USA uses on others and causes health problems. Took years to sue for agent orange that was denied for decades. Uranium depleted munitions causing all kinds of health problems. They don't care about their soldiers just policy to get them richer. Sign up and you are a fool. With only the Nuremberg trials excuse Hitlers people said. " I was just following orders " USA buys more Kalashnikov than any other country. Just to make uprisings and then use it as an excuse to war. Iran contra gave weapons to drug lords to make them stronger and gain a hold, so they could justify a war. Then put drugs on the market here, made billions. And criminalized it to feed the gov system more with laws and more police state. Most in prison are there for drug offenses. Since Afghanistan war production has gone up. Taliban was trying to stop it. Now that we are there, there are profits to be made. If you were a true patriot, you would be a conscientious objector at the least. Or as far as i am concerned a terrorist. Most of the rest of the world agrees. When everyone is against you except who you bribe that should tell you something. Sheeple with a flat world mentality. My family all served, i research , i know things and my eyes are open. Just wish i could wake up from the nightmare. You are right the pay is not enough.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I don't disagree with your rant, but there are absolutely other things to consider. When I joined (enlisted, Army, E-1 pay grade) I was getting paid $856.80 per month (back in 1998, prior to the increase after BCT and AIT). Generally, I felt that kind of sucked, until I started thinking about things--I had a place to live, rent-free. I could eat for free at the chow hall, if I so desired. I got to live for 3.5 years in Germany without having to pay to ship anything there, for the flight to and from, nor to ship things back, including my '66 Mustang that I took over with me (which I sold this last summer after having since I turned 16 in 1995
).

Also, I learned a relatively lucrative job skill while getting paid to do so. I got to learn how to handle weapons, fire them accurately, and had what generally relates to personal trainers for the four years while I was in--again, all while I was getting paid to take part in it.

And then there is the fact (although I'm not sure about the numbers mentioned here) that those in highly skilled, special-ops type jobs do get compensated for their additional skill sets and risk that they assume. Then there's also the fact that, while deployed, there is additional hazardous-duty pay that is tax-free for military members.

And don't forget that medical, dental, and all prescriptions are "free" for Service Members, so there's that, too.

My point is that we need to remember that our military is an all-volunteer force, and there is no secret as to the pay that individuals will receive when they join--it's apparent that the willingness to serve in the military trumps what we may consider as being low pay for the job, and that says a lot about those of us willing to do the job. I didn't even consider the pay when I joined, and when you consider all the things that I mentioned above, the reality is that they are very well compensated, it just doesn't appear that way when you only looke at the pay scale.

But even then, just to keep things in perspective, a brand new E1 entering into basic training will make $1,416.30 (per the 2014 pay scale). When you consider that this is a 165% pay increase over the basic E1 pay when I joined up 15 years ago, I don't really think that there is a lot about which to complain for military pay, especially considering that you need to have zero skills when joining up.

ETA: Also, I fogot to mention reenlistment bonuses, which can generally be in the tens of thousands of dollars, depending on the MOS. I saw something that claimes special-ops guys can get up to $150,000 for reenlisting, athough I'm too lazy to verify that claim, so believe at your own risk.
edit on 11-12-2014 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: sirhumperdink

well he wouldnt be the only one
find something for them to do instead of just sending them to some god forsaken desert to play cowboys and indians
maybe then people wouldnt be so bitter and it would become more clear people are actually joining the military to help people rather than just rattle off some lead at a foreigner while pulling a paycheck benefits higher than anything else youre qualified to do (ie flip burgers or scrub toilets)

First off, not all military personnel go overseas to a "god forsaken desert". Second, I bet you couldn't do what I did as a profession even if I wrote you a procedure. There are so many jobs that require a high degree of attention to detail because it's so dangerous. Then you have the technical jobs that require extensive schooling and training. I'll give you one example "Nuclear Personnel". These guys work harder than anyone else I have ever met. Your comparing everyone's job and intelligence in the military to flipping burgers, but at the same time probably couldn't even pass the exam to be considered for some of the jobs available.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Same goes for employees of private companies as well.

Particularly upsetting because your average company down;t ask its employees to die in the "line of duty".

Whats a young life worth? Whats a persons future potential, cut off in the flower of youth, worth?

A lot more than they are getting. If the big military budgets and profits paid even one percent to its employees for giving their all then… wait, I almost got to justifying the whole enterprise.

Can't do that either.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Whats a young life worth? Whats a persons future potential, cut off in the flower of youth, worth?

A lot more than they are getting.

I would agree, except for the fact that it's an all-volunteer military, so no one is forced to put their life on the line if they feel the monetary compensation is not worth it.

But you're only looking at a tiny speck of the benefits of military service, so a microanalysis of the macrobenefits doesn't really do anything for the discussion.

The bottom line is that people in the military decide what their own lives are worth, and the reality is that it's a small percentage of Service Members who die in the line of duty these days, so it's obvious that many people see the total reward of service as outweighing the risk.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Dude you are really getting screwed.

When I joined the Army I knew my pay would suck. I didn't join for the money that's for sure.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

…the reality is that it's a small percentage of Service Members who die in the line of duty these days, so it's obvious that many people see the total reward of service as outweighing the risk.

Beforehand. I wonder what the constant fear of death does to some of the veterans? What about the Post Traumatic Stress and the resulting self medication and even suicides that result? What about interdicting that and at least trying to make men whole again?

I'm not a veteran only going on the stories I hear about the lack of resources, the "benefits".
edit on 11-12-2014 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
I spend more time at work than I do at home with my wife and kid. If I stay in the Army for 30 years I only get 90% pension.

You had best go to the HRC website and look again, you get less then 90%. I did 31 years and am credited at 26 because I retired as a E-7 and receive 52%. I am thankful for that though as every penny counts.

Here's the retirement calculator.
militarypay.defense.gov...

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

One of the problems with the military benefits system is that it is over-bloated, yet under trained. They need more "doers", such as Doctors, Nurses, Counselors, Physical Therapists, etc. And they need to hire Vets for the Administrative side of the house (Preferably disabled or retired). I have yet to meet a person that keeps records or works pharmaceutical, etc, that has ever served.

You'd think that any one could do those jobs and that is true, but when you observe these people, you can see that their heart isn't in their job. Records get lost all the time, even in this digital age, appointments get reshuffled around. I think that it is because the pay sucks as well.

Add to the fact that the VA website is very convoluted and often they hire out contractors to conduct business for them and you have a headache on your hands.

I do think that the 1% raise sucks though, but have been through pay freezes and and drawdowns as well. This is part of the cycle of joining the military. It happens every year.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I do wish things were better like I am sure many people who work difficult jobs do.

That being said I didn't join for the money either.

However, there is nothing wrong with wanting more financially out of life.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: roth1

Out of your whole rant, I just kept asking myself "what does Iran contra have to do with a private's pay?" And "what does the US buying AKs have to do with a private's pay?" And so on and so forth. Then I realized the answer is probably something about military industrial complex blah blah blah.

The private soldiers aren't the ones setting policy. Nor are they buying AKs. Nor are they fomenting groups like IS and AQ.

I'm sorry you see the military as nothing but a bunch of terrorists. That ignores a lot of the good that is done by the military, but I'm sure in your mind that "good" is just a means to an end or something.
edit on 11-12-2014 by Shamrock6 because: Typos

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

I have yet to meet a person that keeps records or works pharmaceutical, etc, that has ever served.

Thats just, wow.

If they can't identify with the veterans "frame of reference"… i get that pills are medicine but diagnosing to figure out should be from experience, not a chart or something. No wonder guys are pissed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join