It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My faith tested

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: gorsestar
a reply to: Tangerine

Biblically speaking? LMAO. That doesn't make it fact. It makes it a claim unsupported by a shred of testable evidence.

Hmm? I'm not sure what your position is but I outlined mine very early on:

I consider myself a believer in Jesus Christ and am very interested/active in the study of the judeo-christian faith.

How about you outline the criteria for a miracle for me?

My position is very clear: claims of fact are not facts. Facts are based on testable evidence only.

I made no claims about miracles. Did you read my posts?

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Kant was a pious observer of the moral law. It's your own opinion that he was an atheist. I also believe that if he were alive today he'd view this disagreement as completely trivial. How does requiring replicable evidence of anyone's GOD make one not sane? Should he had sat around the camp fire like the Jews?

It was ALSO Kant's opinion that God is an "illusion"...

I can assure you that at this moment in time, that Mr. Kant would give anything to be able to rethink that thought.

Our Lord Jesus Christ accurately described the pious observers of moral law of His day as blind fools...

Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of hell? You Pharisees and teachers of the Law of Moses are in for trouble! You’re nothing but show-offs. You lock people out of the kingdom of heaven. You won’t go in yourselves, and you keep others from going in.

You Pharisees and teachers of the Law of Moses are in for trouble! You’re nothing but show-offs. You travel over land and sea to win one follower. And when you have done so, you make that person twice as fit for hell as you are. Matthew 23

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

originally posted by: TruthLover557

It's hard to reconcile religious belief through science considering the billions of habitable planets in our galaxy alone, in addition to the trillions of galaxies in the continuously expanding universe and the intersection of an innumerable amount of parallel universes.

It doesn't have to be hard when all things are possible.

If miracles happen, then no man has ever saw one and I'm convinced of that.

So, you don't believe the miracles spoken of in the Bible by witnesses?

What miracles spoken of in the Bible by witnesses? If you're referring to the alleged miracles performed by Jesus, none of them were written about by anyone who lived when Jesus allegedly lived or witnessed him doing anything.

I'm not going to answer rhetorical questions posed by someone whom I have no testable evidence even exists.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

It's hard to reconcile religious belief through science considering the billions of habitable planets in our galaxy alone, in addition to the trillions of galaxies in the continuously expanding universe and the intersection of an innumerable amount of parallel universes.

I think that strongly depends on which belief system is in question. Not only that, but the individual interpretation of said beliefs. I do not personally see any conflict, but there is certainly a societal trend that actively creates a schism.

Spiritual phenomena do exist but the criteria for such is higher than repeated acts like the 'laying of hands' that can alternetively be explained.

I feel there is a good chance we will eventually be able to understand nearly every event perceived as a miracle. I can't say I see a problem with that though.

If miracles happen, then no man has ever saw one and I'm convinced of that.

I think plenty of events occur that are currently a "mystery." When experienced by a religious individual or culture, it is inevitably approached in that context.

That said, if one believes in God as outlined by many mainstream systems of belief, both the explainable and inexplicable derive from the same source. The only limitation is our own.
edit on 12-12-2014 by Serdgiam because: typos galore!

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
If you have so convinced yourself, then why are you asking?

Miracles happen all the time, even today.

The miracle of the sun was witnessed by 70,000 people in Fatima. It was splashed all over media also. Testable? Sure

The incorruptible saints. Testable? Sure
Juan Diego's tilma from Our Lady of Guadalupe. Testable? Absolutely. Go see it yourself.
The Eucharistic miracle of Lanciano. Testable? Heck ya. In fact, all the above have been tested rigorously, but it doesn't fit a rabid atheist's worldview, so they won't even pay them a cursory glance.

a reply to: gorsestar

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Ignatian

I think Fatima can be explained scientifically. Have you ever seen a Sun dog, Sun halo, or double/quadruple rainbow? They're wonderful phenomena if you haven't and have been photographed.

As per the number of witnesses, well that doesn't make it more credible.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid

Kant was a pious observer of the moral law. It's your own opinion that he was an atheist. I also believe that if he were alive today he'd view this disagreement as completely trivial. How does requiring replicable evidence of anyone's GOD make one not sane? Should he had sat around the camp fire like the Jews?

It was ALSO Kant's opinion that God is an "illusion"...

I can assure you that at this moment in time, that Mr. Kant would give anything to be able to rethink that thought.

Our Lord Jesus Christ accurately described the pious observers of moral law of His day as blind fools...

Don't you know there is no such thing as hell?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Ive seen sun dogs, and yes they are beautiful, and common, as are the various rainbows. If one reads the multiple witness accounts of that day however, they are explanations easily dismissed.

a reply to: gorsestar

top topics

<< 1   >>

join