It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lowell police surprise drivers with Christmas gifts

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

You do realize that he can't drive to Texas to arrest anybody, right? So it's not enough when a cop arrests another cop. Now a cop has to arrest all the bad cops. All the bad cops EVER.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Yeah I guess we are supposed to break the law by arresting people outside of our jurisdictions.

Hmm, kind of hypocritical isn't it?

Break the law to stop people from breaking the law.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Look. I don't hate cops. I know some cops are good. A lot are ok. But you can't argue that there aren't a lot of bad people who wear the uniform. It would be folly to try to defend that position.

You can't argue that most departments don't squander at least some of their funds. Why not call them out when i notice it?

You can't argue that the public is not losing their trust of police and other officials. Why not own up to it?

Im sure you have many of the same concerns that i do.

reply to: Shamrock6

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Yes. Because as a LEO, you're responsible for policing all of law enforcement. Sea to shining sea. Just don't stop to use the bathroom or eat while doing so. Taxpayers aren't paying you to drive somewhere and use a bathroom.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

You do realize that he can't drive to Texas to arrest anybody, right? So it's not enough when a cop arrests another cop. Now a cop has to arrest all the bad cops. All the bad cops EVER.

Again. This is not what i am asking you to do. How did you possibly come to the conclusion that i expect you to go to texas and arrest someone? Or that i lay responsibility for all crime at your feet. Can you please address the actual things i am talking about?

If you are a good cop, then i am on your side. Remember that we are talking about bad cops and departments that waste their funds. I would expect you to be interested in the topic.
edit on 13-12-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Yes. Because as a LEO, you're responsible for policing all of law enforcement. Sea to shining sea. Just don't stop to use the bathroom or eat while doing so. Taxpayers aren't paying you to drive somewhere and use a bathroom.

This misplaced indignation is why you are losing respect from the public. You should be worried about corruption in the system at least as much as i am.

But no, you faux indignation and hide behind the blue line.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Neither one of us said anything that would remotely give the impression that we don't believe there are any bad cops.

You were the one that said "As long as there are bad cops around. There are no good cops. Period."

Then just a few posts prior you say "I know there are good cops around."

So how can you know some "good cops" yet you say that "As long as there are bad cops around. There are no good cops. Period."

You are confusing.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

No I am not. The confusion is yours. Who is paying the salaries of police? Who pays for the hardware, the offices, the jail, the gas for those cars?

I am not speaking to just the monies that went into the gifts and the leg work to obtain them.

The department took it upon themselves to spread cheer with this stunt, put up a video, make sure it hit the airwaves.What of those that really needed it, the ones with out cars and means by which to be cheerful?

I don't think that Law Enforcement should be in the business of choosing who gets charity, unless of course it is on individual time. The greatest amount of cheer that they could provide is due process and respect to us at all times.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Witness2008

I do understand where you are coming from.

However, maybe the officer is assigned to the community policing division of his department and this was within the scope of his duties.

I understand why you wouldn't want a patrol officer on the clock doing this though.

All of the charity/volunteer work I do as a police officer is off the clock on my own time, the same as other officers at my department.
edit on 13-12-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I don't see anybody denying there are bad cops. At least not Torq or myself, who are the two that you keep trying to make it sound as if we deny that because you keep repeating it.

I don't know of ANY government agency that doesn't squander some of its funding. Is it always intentional and meant to screw the taxpayers over? I don't think it is, but then I haven't looked at every agency's budget.

I don't see anybody denying the public has lost some, or much, of its trust in public officials.

What I DO see is people bound and determined to attack this from any angle they can to make it seem like it's a huge travesty and slap in the face to citizens across the country. What I DO see is people happily painting the entirety of a career path with one brush, and when given examples of why maybe that's not really the most informed way to approach it, continue to bang away at it.

Do I feel like I've wasted taxpayer money by driving a cruiser to Target when I'm volunteering my off time (and money out of my own wallet, for what it's worth) so a kid can go shopping with me to get stuff he or she wouldn't otherwise get? No, sure don't. If you feel like I do, sorry. Start a campaign to end the program then.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

Neither one of us said anything that would remotely give the impression that we don't believe there are any bad cops.

You were the one that said "As long as there are bad cops around. There are no good cops. Period."

Then just a few posts prior you say "I know there are good cops around."

So how can you know some "good cops" yet you say that "As long as there are bad cops around. There are no good cops. Period."

You are confusing.

Yes. I can see that you are confused.

When i say "as long as there are bad cops, there are no good cops. "
Is a refernce to another statement i made. "How can i tell a bad cop from a good cop?" How do i know that the officer pulling me over is trustworthy when it is common knowledge that they routinely lie, and cover up for each other?

I do hold every policeperson responsible for doing as much as they can to choose good candidates, train them properly, and root out and remove any problems.

For either of you to say that i expected you to go across state lines and arrest anyone, shows me that you actually do not understand what i am saying here. Which is the saddest thing that i can think of right now.

Are there any points that i actually did make that you agree with?

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I tried to respond to this. It was pretty awesome. Then I kept timing out when trying to post the response. So I'll just summarize it with "I'm not confused, but I'll take confusion over misanthropy any day of the week."

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I appreciate that you understand my point.

With all of the deaths by cop happening along with the general outrage being displayed because of it, my first thought on this matter was that it was propaganda. In a way it was. Propaganda made possible with tax payer support.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I tried to respond to this. It was pretty awesome. Then I kept timing out when trying to post the response. So I'll just summarize it with "I'm not confused, but I'll take confusion over misanthropy any day of the week."

Are you suggesting that I or any other poster here is misanthropic? Or do you suggest that we are accusing you of it?

I had a really great post for Torguey that was lost. Hope ATS is not still having problems with last nights attack.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

With as much police brutality and corruption happening, the average citizen is left with nothing other than fear when they have contact with LE. I find it outrageous that law enforcement should leave it to us to root out those that give good cops a bad name.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Does it really even matter at this point? You're going to see this how you choose to see it. Pretty much the end of the story, and no amount of comments and pages is going to change that.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Of course it matters. I am having a conversation with a LEO, in hopes that we may be able to find common ground. Instead I get a LEO telling me what it is I think.

Unfortunately you display the lack of respect that I have always addressed on threads of this type.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

I don't think it is propaganda.

Police have been doing charitable things like this long before Mike Brown.

I think someone wanted to interject a different view from the crows nest in a sea of blanket police hatred.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

No, what I did was tell you my perception of your comments, and they come across to me.

Sorry if you feel expressing my own opinion is disrespectful to you and yours

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

For me it appeared as propaganda, as my leanings are more toward making our authority figures earn the respect that they demand, rather than simply demanding it, or putting together videos that attempt to sway opinion.

Why advertise the charity? Certainly considering the atmosphere that may generate scrutiny.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join